So where are you going on your Summer hols TWers?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon May 05, 2008 3:10 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:toronto/niagara falls

bloody expensive city break
Sorry, no gingers allowed in Canada any more I'm afraid - you'll have to do Niagara from the US side. :wink:
ha, is toronto ready for the strawberry blonde brigade?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 05, 2008 3:11 pm

Looking forward big-time to the holiday, just don't fancy the five-and-a-half thousand miles to get there. Been to Bermuda twice which was bad enough, but 13 or so hours of air travel just don't appeal. Take off and landing are about the only interesting bits of air-travel, the rest is just a pure pain. Oh, and then there's the "no-smoking" bit. "Beam me up Scotty".

Think I'd better stock up on a few good books.

Anybody ever used "Flight-tracker" on computer? Magical thing. I sent the wife and daughter to America a couple of years ago and was able to watch their whole progress, including landing. Saves on a lot of stress when you know they got there safely.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon May 05, 2008 3:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Looking forward big-time to the holiday, just don't fancy the five-and-a-half thousand miles to get there. Been to Bermuda twice which was bad enough, but 13 or so hours of air travel just don't appeal. Take off and landing are about the only interesting bits of air-travel, the rest is just a pure pain. Oh, and then there's the "no-smoking" bit. "Beam me up Scotty".
I always found take off and landing the worst part of air travel - up there didn't seem so bad. Are you stopping off somewhere for a quick drag, TD, or flying direct? You'll have fun in California though - there is a lot to see in the Southwest.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 05, 2008 3:41 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I always found take off and landing the worst part of air travel - up there didn't seem so bad. Are you stopping off somewhere for a quick drag, TD, or flying direct? You'll have fun in California though - there is a lot to see in the Southwest.
It's a ten-day trip thing Monty. Flying Manchester to the dreaded Heathrow Terminal 5 - might get a quick smoke between flights - then it's non-stop to L.A Son lives in Simi Valley and he's arranging a couple of days golf and some sight seeing including a boat trip day and overnight stay on Catalina Island. Probably get to Venice Beach etc. All looks pretty good from what I've seen, and the wife's been before. Looking forward to it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 05, 2008 3:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:It's a ten-day trip thing Monty. Flying Manchester to the dreaded Heathrow Terminal 5.
There's lovely for you, Tango. At our place they've put a moratorium on people travelling through Heathrow at the moment. Everyone has to go via Hamburg or Schiphol where possible instead.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon May 05, 2008 3:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
It's a ten-day trip thing Monty. Flying Manchester to the dreaded Heathrow Terminal 5 - might get a quick smoke between flights - then it's non-stop to L.A Son lives in Simi Valley and he's arranging a couple of days golf and some sight seeing including a boat trip day and overnight stay on Catalina Island. Probably get to Venice Beach etc. All looks pretty good from what I've seen, and the wife's been before. Looking forward to it.
Sounds wonderful, except for getting there. The traffic problems around greater LA may surprise you, but Simi valley is far enough north to avoid the worst of things. Never been to Catalina Island but all reports are great, especially if you scuba dive or even snorkel.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon May 05, 2008 3:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:It's a ten-day trip thing Monty. Flying Manchester to the dreaded Heathrow Terminal 5.
There's lovely for you, Tango. At our place they've put a moratorium on people travelling through Heathrow at the moment. Everyone has to go via Hamburg or Schiphol where possible instead.
Manchester - Toronto and Toronto - LA would break it up a bit and you wouldn't lose ground by going the wrong way. Still I'm sure TD can manage 13 hours without smoking. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 05, 2008 5:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
That's cheered me up enormously Bruce. Fortunately, by August, they may just have found the first lot of luggage by then. :(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 05, 2008 5:46 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Manchester - Toronto and Toronto - LA would break it up a bit and you wouldn't lose ground by going the wrong way. Still I'm sure TD can manage 13 hours without smoking. :wink:
Name's Tango Monty, not Marco bloody Polo. As for the smoking, well, no choice there. Just glad Bolton aren't playing while I'm in the air. Think I'll spend a fair bit of time asleep. :(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 05, 2008 5:51 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Sounds wonderful, except for getting there. The traffic problems around greater LA may surprise you, but Simi valley is far enough north to avoid the worst of things. Never been to Catalina Island but all reports are great, especially if you scuba dive or even snorkel.
Might dive into a beer or two and blow some bubbles Monty. Lying in the sun, chilling out and watching the world go by are top priorities. As for the traffic, let my son and his wife worry about that, strictly passenger status me. :mrgreen:

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Mon May 05, 2008 6:12 pm

bobby5 wrote:Bolton and the Howcroft.
Th 'owcroft? thought everyone had deserted the place since wotsisname took over? Joe? :|

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Doing the US again this year. North West this time -flying into Oregon and see where the mood takes us. 8)
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon May 05, 2008 6:49 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Doing the US again this year. North West this time -flying into Oregon and see where the mood takes us. 8)
Oregon has only one national Park (Crater Lake) but it is worth a visit. North West is a beautiful part of the world, though the weather can be iffy and the Pacific is pretty cold for swimming. Have fun, Harry.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon May 05, 2008 7:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: Manchester - Toronto and Toronto - LA would break it up a bit and you wouldn't lose ground by going the wrong way. Still I'm sure TD can manage 13 hours without smoking. :wink:
Name's Tango Monty, not Marco bloody Polo. As for the smoking, well, no choice there. Just glad Bolton aren't playing while I'm in the air. Think I'll spend a fair bit of time asleep. :(
I was trying to do you a favour, Tango. Manchester to Montreal is 3143 air miles, and Montreal to LA 2475, for a total of 5618. Manchester to London is 164 and London LA 5456 for a total of 5620. So I was suggesting a shorter route (by a hair admittedly) with a stopover halfway for a brisk walk, a quick drink and a couple of smokes. Sounded preferable to 13 hours cold turkey. I wouldn't be surprised if the London LA flight passes over Montreal, tbh.

Edit: I've just checked and it actually passes to the north of us close to Hudson's Bay.
Last edited by Montreal Wanderer on Mon May 05, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 05, 2008 7:23 pm

Can somebody lock this thread?

Only I'm getting jealous of you all. :mrgreen:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 05, 2008 7:36 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
I was trying to do you a favour, Tango. Manchester to Montreal is 3143 air miles, and Montreal to LA 2475, for a total of 5618. Manchester to London is 164 and London LA 5456 for a total of 5620. So I was suggesting a shorter route (by a hair admittedly) with a stopover halfway for a brisk walk, a quick drink and a couple of smokes. Sounded preferable to 13 hours cold turkey. I wouldn't be surprised if the London LA flight passes over Montreal, tbh.

Edit: I've just checked and it actually passes to the north of us close to Hudson's Bay.
Unfortunately Monty, though I do see your point, all the bookings were done three months ago by our son and I daren't even mention changing things to the wife. I would decidedly have preferred to fly from Manchester instead of London but, some things are meant to be. Terminal five it is then. :(

This bit in a quiet whisper ( Personally, I'd sooner be doing castles, cathedrals, tapas and flamenco bars in Spain really, but..well, er, travel broadens the mind, so they say) :mrgreen:

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon May 05, 2008 8:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Unfortunately Monty, though I do see your point, all the bookings were done three months ago by our son and I daren't even mention changing things to the wife. I would decidedly have preferred to fly from Manchester instead of London but, some things are meant to be. Terminal five it is then. :(

This bit in a quiet whisper ( Personally, I'd sooner be doing castles, cathedrals, tapas and flamenco bars in Spain really, but..well, er, travel broadens the mind, so they say) :mrgreen:
Well this way, TD you'll get to see what happened when the Spanish got their hands on a new Continent. Santa Monica is very pretty and Venice is like Camden by the sea. Hollywood is worth a couple of hours if you can manage it, if only for the 'Walk of Fame' and Graumanns Chinese Theatre.

Oh, and South Brittany for me. Trinite Sur Mer. Unfortunatley, the missus booked the last week in August so I'm BOUND to miss a London game. :evil:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 05, 2008 8:29 pm

enfieldwhite wrote: Well this way, TD you'll get to see what happened when the Spanish got their hands on a new Continent. Santa Monica is very pretty and Venice is like Camden by the sea. Hollywood is worth a couple of hours if you can manage it, if only for the 'Walk of Fame' and Graumanns Chinese Theatre.
Oh, and South Brittany for me. Trinite Sur Mer. Unfortunatley, the missus booked the last week in August so I'm BOUND to miss a London game. :evil:
I'll have you know I've seen all the Zorro films Enfield. :mrgreen: By the way, I think Santa Monica is on the schedule, so that's good news. :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon May 05, 2008 8:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote: Well this way, TD you'll get to see what happened when the Spanish got their hands on a new Continent. Santa Monica is very pretty and Venice is like Camden by the sea. Hollywood is worth a couple of hours if you can manage it, if only for the 'Walk of Fame' and Graumanns Chinese Theatre.
I'll have you know I've seen all the Zorro films Enfield. :mrgreen: By the way, I think Santa Monica is on the schedule, so that's good news. :wink:
if you are going from LAX to Simi Valley, or Simi Valley to Venice Beach, you can hardly miss it. Indeed you will get it three times, including the trip back to LAX. :wink:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: So where are you going on your Summer hols TWers?

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon May 05, 2008 11:55 pm

Batman wrote:Ronseal.

You'll find me taking another trip to Florida this Summer, week in a villa as last year......
went to egypt last month but not booked owt for the summer yet, penciled the dates in tho - that florida villa sounds belting, how/who with do you organise that?