How far off the £100 car fill-up?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

How far off the £100 car fill-up?

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 25, 2008 4:21 pm

Just been to fill mine up, which for a whole variety of reasons was just about down to the fumes.

SEVENTY THREE QUID!!!!

For our US buddies that's $145...:-)

Hundred quid fill up can't be that far off I guess......

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: How far off the £100 car fill-up?

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun May 25, 2008 4:30 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Just been to fill mine up, which for a whole variety of reasons was just about down to the fumes.

SEVENTY THREE QUID!!!!

Up here in Canada it is getting pretty expensive too. Now $1.38 a litre (our dollar is about the same as the US now). It is cheaper in the US of course. So that would be about 70p a litre I guess.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Just been to fill mine up, which for a whole variety of reasons was just about down to the fumes.

SEVENTY THREE QUID!!!!

Up here in Canada it is getting pretty expensive too. Now $1.38 a litre (our dollar is about the same as the US now). It is cheaper in the US of course. So that would be about 70p a litre I guess.
Aye, I was in Europe with some US colleagues last week. The pump prices was a big issue for them at the moment (until I told 'em how much it was in the UK.).

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun May 25, 2008 5:20 pm

My car gulps petrol like its goin out of fashion - c. £75+ return journey to Birmingham anyone? (I reckon I'm getting 4 miles to the litre or something)

If public transport was in anyway reliable, frequent and user friendly I'd be thinking of using it sharpish.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun May 25, 2008 5:21 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

SEVENTY THREE QUID!!!!

it's 125.9p per litre here MW - 60% of which goes straight to HM Revenue & Customs
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun May 25, 2008 6:00 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

SEVENTY THREE QUID!!!!

it's 125.9p per litre here MW - 60% of which goes straight to HM Revenue & Customs
Geez - about twice as much - there would be a revolution here (although a significant part of our price is tax).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun May 25, 2008 6:05 pm

it's gone up about 10p in the last 2 months, it's costing me an extra £6 on a tank in that period. Is it any wondre nobody believes it that inflation is at 2.5% a year, diesel is about 10% in 2 months!

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun May 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Ours fluctuates 10 or 11 cents a litre from day to day (bloody annoying and requires luck or good timing). Oil companies say it is a matter of short supply. However, a couple of months back you could get it for under a dollar so the hike is steep. Supposed to got to around $1.50 in the summer. Someone's getting rich and it is not us.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun May 25, 2008 6:19 pm

What do our friends in the States make of the 'gas tax summer holiday' stuff? A Clinton and McCain policy, opposed by Obama...

I suspect the critics of the policy who say that demand will simply increase to bring the price up and erase all the benefit of the policy aren't quite right - fuel is pretty price inelastic in this kind of time frame, isn't it? :conf:

P.S. Do you drive an unusually large vehicle, Worthy? Or am I going to be in for a shock when I fill up my Peugeot 206 in 6 weeks' time?!
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Sun May 25, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun May 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Oil price has gone up about 90% in the last 9months, and yes short-supply is the big reason. There's a greater requirement from China and Asia in general and the only fuel oil being pumped is in the middle east, they claim they cannot increase output. There is some truth in this, not least as it will deplete the reserves quicker. It's estimated that the kind of crude used for petrol etc onl has 20 years left in those fields. There's heavier crude which can be used but the refineries can't deal with it, new refineries need to be built. We are paying the price for lack of investment in refineries, in other fields and in alternative fuel sources.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 25, 2008 6:34 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:What do our friends in the States make of the 'gas tax summer holiday' stuff? A Clinton and McCain policy, opposed by Obama...

I suspect the critics of the policy who say that demand will simply increase to bring the price up and erase all the benefit of the policy aren't quite right - fuel is pretty price inelastic in this kind of time frame, isn't it? :conf:

P.S. Do you drive an unusually large vehicle, Worthy? Or am I going to be in for a shock when I fill up my Peugeot 206 in 6 weeks' time?!
Certainly on the large side as vehicles go :-) I suspect you won't be in for that much of a shock with a 206 :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 25, 2008 6:46 pm

SEVENTY THREE QUID!!!!

He drives a woman's car, My Lord! :D

Seriously, at 12:18 today at Tesco Prestwich it cost me £87.05 to fill up. 69.14 litres of Diesel (didn't diesel start life as a by-product of petroleum distillation?) I drive a Passat. A 'family saloon car' I'm lead to believe. £87.05. :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 25, 2008 6:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

SEVENTY THREE QUID!!!!

Seriously, at 12:18 today at Tesco Prestwich it cost me £87.05 to fill up. 69.14 litres of Diesel (didn't diesel start life as a by-product of petroleum distillation?) I drive a Passatt. A 'family saloon' I'm lead to believe.
My tank is 70 litres too - you obviously got robbed blind - I filled up at the Texaco station corner of Mosley Common and East Lancs....I drive a 630i which given the strain it takes me to get it back of the wife, is indeed a woman's car. :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 25, 2008 7:16 pm

:mrgreen:

Your's is petrol driven then I take it, Worthy?

Assuming that I'm correct, and that diesel is indeed a by-product of petrol production then how come I'm paying more for it than you are petrol? Not only that but aren't we constantly being lectured regarding environmental impact, carbon footprints and so forth? Diesel fumes are better, or less bad for the environment, aren't they? I think, to cut to the chase, all roads lead to Gordon Brown being an out-of-his-depth imbecile that considers the electorate to be a bunch of pricks.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 25, 2008 7:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote::mrgreen:

Your's is petrol driven then I take it, Worthy?

Assuming that I'm correct, and that diesel is indeed a by-product of petrol production then how come I'm paying more for it than you are petrol? Not only that but aren't we constantly being lectured regarding environmental impact, carbon footprints and so forth? Diesel fumes are better, or less bad for the environment, aren't they? I think, to cut to the chase, all roads lead to Gordon Brown being an out-of-his-depth imbecile that considers the electorate to be a bunch of pricks.
Aye - unleaded.

Other than that, I'm not biting on the politics of it, other than to say a diesel driver who does say 20k miles per annum will invariably put waaaaayyyyy more pollution into the atmosphere than me. I don't drive a huge amount of miles, so out of preference, I'd rather all road taxes came through duty as those who use more fuel, would pay the larger proportion of the tax.

Speaking of tax at the point of consumption, I'm way behind on my alcohol taxes this weekend as I've had manflu. Think it's about time I redressed the balance. Watch out for random drunken posts later....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 25, 2008 7:28 pm

I've owned two vehicles that both did fouteen miles to the gallon. Bloody-hell, I wouldn't be able to afford to drive them off the path today. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun May 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

SEVENTY THREE QUID!!!!

Seriously, at 12:18 today at Tesco Prestwich it cost me £87.05 to fill up. 69.14 litres of Diesel (didn't diesel start life as a by-product of petroleum distillation?) I drive a Passatt. A 'family saloon' I'm lead to believe.
My tank is 70 litres too - you obviously got robbed blind - I filled up at the Texaco station corner of Mosley Common and East Lancs....I drive a 630i which given the strain it takes me to get it back of the wife, is indeed a woman's car. :mrgreen:
Ha you have a woman's tank my lord - mines 80 litres :wink: (and doesn't it just like to empty itself.... :? )

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon May 26, 2008 3:30 am

It's a world wide problem and one that here is constantly in the news. The pump price varies from petrol station to petrol station (though that could depend on the ethanol content of the fuel) and an incredible variation from one day to the next. Fortunately my days of racking up multiple thousands of kilometres per year are over - last time I checked I average the magnificent figure of about 5 Km per day. Eat your hearts out you who are stuck in motorway car parks.

As others have commented I can't understand the huge increase in diesel prices. I'm pretty sure that a decade or so (no evidence other than memory) the cost of diesel was only 50-60% of that of petrol. I don't think that excise has increased for that product and can only put it down to a blatant, and successful, attempt by the refiners and retailers to milk the motorist. Gawd help the truck drivers. About a decade ago I had a customer who owned a petrol station and who I popped in on to have a chat on the odd occasion. A few times I noticed the big semi-trailers filling up and spending 600+ of our dollars. Given the increases in diesel prices since then it's no wonder overall freight costs have escalated.

As far as the cost here is concerned it varies - as I've mentioned - but last time I topped up (I try to keep the top half of the tank full) the price was AUD 1.57 per litre. Maybe I filled up on the wrong day. Checking the log book for the last 12 months I am informed that the cheapest per litre price I paid was AUD 1.199 in October of last year. Perhaps I should track the price of crude oil and relate it to the pump price, allowing for flow through timing? It seems that, even with the excise and GST (like the UK's VAT but only 10%) we aren't doing too badly compared to Europe and probably comparable to Monty's situation in Canada. Added to that I guess one would have to a comparative costing on other staples (bread, milk and beer, for example, plus housing or rental and then relate those figures to 'average' income). I'm guessing that such an exercise would prove diddly-squat unless you worked out what the media have been known to term 'expendable income', which I assume means anything left over after paying all bills and feeding the family.

Whilst all this, serious, introspection regarding the use of petrol has being going on my previous government tempted motorists to convert vehicles suited to LPG, by way of a subsidy. Do any of you have such a scheme in your country? I have no idea as to what a petrol to LPG conversion would cost nor a clue as to what it might mean to the life of the engine so converted. I have a friend who did such a conversion to his commercial vehicle before the subsidy was announced and who was quite happy with it. Mind you he did far more travelling than I do these days.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 26, 2008 8:44 am

communistworkethic wrote:it's gone up about 10p in the last 2 months, it's costing me an extra £6 on a tank in that period. Is it any wondre nobody believes it that inflation is at 2.5% a year, diesel is about 10% in 2 months!
sodding well agreed. slightly off topic, but still regarding inflation, the government (still cant spell that, and i blame the french, i keep wanting to whack an extra 'e' in) say they student loans are not interest and inflation based, then go and whack on £70 quid a year (which i admit is roughly what they say is inflation, but ive never sodding well read they charge inflation!!)
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 26, 2008 9:27 am

Diesel prices have gone up because maufacturers are making more Diesel powered cars and its a more fuel-efficient system. They just want more of your money, plain and simple.