They say no news is good news

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:53 am

I think it's fair to say that there are several theories as to the origination of the term "pommy" and its derivatives. Some more plausible than others, and yet not one definitive.

I doubt it will be resolved in this thread. :wink:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:00 am

the accepted one is "pomegranate", especially given the Anzac book and OED say so.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:17 am

Shorter Oxford English Dictionary Volume 2 Page 1626.

Pommy: Australian 1916 A newcomer from "the old country" [of unknown origin]

So, if two versions of the OED cannot agree on its origin, I think I will stick with my previous comment, thanks Commie. :|
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:36 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Shorter Oxford English Dictionary Volume 2 Page 1626.

So, if two versions of the OED cannot agree on its origin, I think I will stick with my previous comment, thanks Commie. :|
BTW the date of publication of your "shorter" dictionary?? and read the previous posts, all the evidence points to "pomegranate", y'know the documente appearance of the word and its definition.

You continue in your world of blissful ignorance with out of date thinking :roll:

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:39 am

If you'd have just put the word FACT in the first place, this argument could have been settled much earlier.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:50 am

Nothing is defined as "fact" on this question as nobody seems to know for sure. Pomegranate, Prisoner of Mother England, etc are all offered. There are also other assumptions without real source, such as:

"Maybe, unaware that "Pom" was an aboriginal term equivalent to Boss/Master, the convicts just thought it was a good word to slag off their Brit superiors, officials, jailers, landowners, businessmen etc., etc.

Probably best to be honest and say "who knows?"
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:52 am

communistworkethic wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Shorter Oxford English Dictionary Volume 2 Page 1626.

BTW the date of publication of your "shorter" dictionary?? and read the previous posts, all the evidence points to "pomegranate", y'know the documente appearance of the word and its definition.

You continue in your world of blissful ignorance with out of date thinking :roll:
FACT is (see what I did there?) I googled "pommy" into my PC and it came up with what you state, amd more besides. You can't google the Shorter OED (it's on my bookshelf, you see.) FACT is there's more to research than Google and Wikipedia.

FACT is Commie, you don't know the correct answer to this - any more than I do.

And that's as near as I'll get to having a row with you on a Sunday morning.

Good day. :wink:
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:59 pm

FACT is that people with more resources than your bookshelf have pointed out that it is most likely to come from pomegranate and the rhyming slang, including the people who wrote the full version of the one book you've checked. The 2000 book "port out, starboard home" also dismisses the acronym myth.

FACT there are no records of the "prisoner of her majesty" or POHM or any variation thereof appearing on the clothes or documents of anyone deported to Australia.

FACT we don't know absolutely but as I said before "most reliable sources agree"

FACT lots of people on here seem happy to dismiss reliable sources and would sooner believe that goblins and fairies live at the bottom of the garden

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:08 pm

And the biggest FACT is - I haven't said the correct definition is any of the ones you list above. Nor have I dismissed any reliable sources. (But to understand that you would have to re-read the thread and not be cruising for an argument!)

I'm very pleased to see that you agree with me that we do not know absolutely.
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:50 pm

I'm so glad that after some meanderings, no one knows for a FACT which is the correct answer.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:29 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:And the biggest FACT is - I haven't said the correct definition is any of the ones you list above. Nor have I dismissed any reliable sources. (But to understand that you would have to re-read the thread and not be cruising for an argument!)

I'm very pleased to see that you agree with me that we do not know absolutely.
you dismissed the one now commonly accepted as being no more valid on the basis it wasn't in your one book. :roll:

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:40 am

FACT1 : Australians are a bunch of whining, workshy, soap-dodging bastards.
FACT 2: So are Poms. However you define them. The proof is in this thread.
FACT 3: I'm from New Zealand. :mrgreen:
What could've happened; did.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:56 am

mullayo wrote:FACT1 : Australians are a bunch of whining, workshy, soap-dodging bastards.
FACT 2: So are Poms. However you define them. The proof is in this thread.
FACT 3: I'm from New Zealand. :mrgreen:
and therefore you f00k sheep FACT

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:46 am

FACT lots of people on here seem happy to dismiss reliable sources and would sooner believe that goblins and fairies live at the bottom of the garden
Don't they? :? Now I am confused as well as depressed at no transfer news to discuss.

By the way there is no need to insult other posters or nationalities, its just childish and totally unneccessary even if they do believe in fairies and disagree with you.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:04 pm

So there we have it, The Wanderer's conclusion on the origin of the aussie word 'Pom' :-

most likely originating from pommegranite, however plausibly disputed, and far from FACT.

I like FaninOz also believe that fairies live in the bottom of my garden, just not literally.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:16 pm

freeindeed wrote:So there we have it, The Wanderer's conclusion on the origin of the aussie word 'Pom' :-

most likely originating from pommegranite, however plausibly disputed, and far from FACT.

I like FaninOz also believe that fairies live in the bottom of my garden, just not literally.
you don't literally believe? Or they only metaphorically live there?

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:24 pm

freeindeed wrote:So there we have it, The Wanderer's conclusion on the origin of the aussie word 'Pom' :-

We are too obsessed with FACTS and the scientific/literalistic/rational world view. Fairies can be just as 'real' as a law of science. They inhabit the world of imagination and metaphor which is the same place that super string theory and wormholes reside..

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:34 pm

freeindeed wrote:

We are too obsessed with FACTS and the scientific/literalistic/rational world view. Fairies can be just as 'real' as a law of science. They inhabit the world of imagination and metaphor which is the same place that super string theory and wormholes reside..
sorry but ..... boll ocks. You've leapt from "laws" to "theories" and "postulations" there.

I can't wait for your boss telling you you've been paid and you're just imagining it's not in your bank account and that you're bills aren't being paid. See how "too obsessed" with facts you are then.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:44 pm

Isn't that scenario a postulation on a possibility which you're presenting as a (future) fact?

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:59 pm

freeindeed wrote:

sorry but ..... boll ocks. You've leapt from "laws" to "theories" and "postulations" there.

I can't wait for your boss telling you you've been paid and you're just imagining it's not in your bank account and that you're bills aren't being paid. See how "too obsessed" with facts you are then.

Of course, i'm not saying that reality and imagination are the same thing. Just that they are not polar extremes. Much of what passes as fact is actually theoretical or imagined. Much of the beauty within imagination can betray fundamental truths...or is that complete ballcox? :lol: