They say no news is good news

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:Scientists. The people who brought you the world is flat theory.
no they didn't. there's no actual record of that theory being purported other than in film.
Aye, from what I remember hearing, people noticed a horizon and figured out pretty quickly that the world couldn't be flat. Where the contention comes is how they set about proving that point conclusively.

I seem to remember hearing that the 'world is flat' is a victorian-era(or slightly earlier) myth created to show how great the scientists of the time were etc.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:54 pm

in fact - the whole Columbus wanting to show the world was round is nonsense to, he apparently thought it was pear-shaped, and it dates to a 19th century semi-fictional book "the voyages of christoher columbus". You may be referring to Samual Birley Rowbotham's "Zetetic Astronomy" of 1838, which was the first serious suggestion the Earth was flat.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:04 pm

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublons ... ociety.htm

I'm a member. The whole round earth theory is a conspiracy based on doctored NASA Photo's. JOKE.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:05 pm

communistworkethic wrote:in fact - the whole Columbus wanting to show the world was round is nonsense to, he apparently thought it was pear-shaped, and it dates to a 19th century semi-fictional book "the voyages of christoher columbus". You may be referring to Samual Birley Rowbotham's "Zetetic Astronomy" of 1838, which was the first serious suggestion the Earth was flat.

someone's been watching/reading QI... :wink:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 pm

communistworkethic wrote:in fact - the whole Columbus wanting to show the world was round is nonsense to, he apparently thought it was pear-shaped, and it dates to a 19th century semi-fictional book "the voyages of christoher columbus". You may be referring to Samual Birley Rowbotham's "Zetetic Astronomy" of 1838, which was the first serious suggestion the Earth was flat.
So which is it? Make your mind up.
There's no record of that theory being purported other than in film or that Samual Birley Rowbotham's "Zetetic Astronomy" of 1838, which was the first serious suggestion the Earth was flat?

Take your time answering, my original observation was tongue in cheek but thanks for googling it for me anyway.
Businesswoman of the year.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:44 pm

My friends dad in Lostock actually was in the flat earth society. Also, i don't know if connected but he had a plastic moulded chair on a pole 30ft high in his garden - any suggestions what this was for?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:03 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
There's no record of that theory being purported other than in film or that Samual Birley Rowbotham's "Zetetic Astronomy" of 1838, which was the first serious suggestion the Earth was flat?

Take your time answering, my original observation was tongue in cheek but thanks for googling it for me anyway.
no need to take my time, my first post was overtaken by rant-mode leading to a case of bollocks in mouth
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:51 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

no need to take my time, my first post was overtaken by rant-mode leading to a case of bollocks in mouth
I prefer a murray mint myself... but each to his own