Alcohol Vs Cannabis

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Alcohol Vs Cannabis

Post by freeindeed » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:00 pm

This is on the inlay of an album i recieved today by Bonnie Prince Billy, i think it's very true:-

Cannabis sativa and its derivatives are strictly prohibited in Turkey, and the natural correlative of this prescription is that alcohol, far from being frowned upon as it is in other moslem lands, is freely drunk; being a government monopoly it can be bought at any cigarette counter. This fact is no mere detail; it is of primary social importance, since the psychological effects of the 2 substances are diametrically opposed to each other. Alcohol blurs the personality by loosening inhibitions. The drinker feels, temporarily at least, a sense of participation. Cannabis abolishes no inhibitions; on the contrary, it reinforces them, pushes the individual further back into the recesses of his own isolated personality, pledging him to contemplation and inaction. It is to be expected that there should be a close relationship between the culture of a given society and the means used by its members to achieve release and euphoria. For Judaism and Christianity the means has always been alcohol; for Islam it has been hashish. The first is dynamic in its effects, the other static. If a nation wishes, however mistakenly, to Westernize itself, first let it give up hashish. The rest will follow, more or less as a matter of course. Conversely, in a Western country, if a whole segment of the population desires, for reasons of protest, to isolate itself in a radical fashion from the society around it, the quickest and surest way is to replace alcohol with cannabis.
Paul Bowles.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:16 pm

Aye, we should definitely adopt album-cover philosophy as our guide to a better life.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:41 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Aye, we should definitely adopt album-cover philosophy as our guide to a better life.
indeed, never mind the bollocks
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:44 am

The Sound of Music is the way forward. :mrgreen:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:20 am

I'd much rather be in a room full of people who had smoked cannabis than a room of people who were pissed.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:40 am

Whats wrong with both?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:21 pm

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:40 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Whats wrong with both?
My thoughts entirely 8)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:53 pm

I'm dissapointed, as I thought this would have been some celebrity death-match style thread, where alcohol takes on cannabis.

Or even better, a thread where celebrities ripped off their t*ts on cannabis take on others smashed out their face on alcohol. :twisted:

Oh well.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:21 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'm dissapointed, as I thought this would have been some celebrity death-match style thread, where alcohol takes on cannabis.

Or even better, a thread where celebrities ripped off their t*ts on cannabis take on others smashed out their face on alcohol. :twisted:

Oh well.
Clearly a smoker :crazy:

madmarx
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by madmarx » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:45 pm

aye but its a fair bit easier to get off cannabis than it is alcohol.

Alcohol? massive problem, even heroin pales into insignificance in terms of damage per capita. Take a heroin addict of 10 years and a person with severe alcohol dependancy for 10 years, leaving aside factors like injection contracted side conditions like hep c, the H addict will be far fitter and more likely to rehabilitate.

Cannabis? doesnt enter the frame as a damaging substance in real terms.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:50 pm

This thread reminds me of that Streets song, The Irony Of It All...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLX8YW8Rgz8
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

madmarx
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by madmarx » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Verbal wrote:This thread reminds me of that Streets song, The Irony Of It All...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLX8YW8Rgz8
aye heres a few lads that are doingthe west proud, with that alcohol business :D

Explicit lyrics, parental discretion advised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stPqr6B_zEY

(sorry MODS dont know your rules remove it if it offends)

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:03 pm

madmarx wrote:aye but its a fair bit easier to get off cannabis than it is alcohol.

Alcohol? massive problem, even heroin pales into insignificance in terms of damage per capita. Take a heroin addict of 10 years and a person with severe alcohol dependancy for 10 years, leaving aside factors like injection contracted side conditions like hep c, the H addict will be far fitter and more likely to rehabilitate.

Cannabis? doesnt enter the frame as a damaging substance in real terms.
This has changed somewhat with the new generation of hydroponic skunks. Tests done reveal that the levels of THC are manyfold higher than the strains available in previous decades.

I have many friends who are heavily addicted to skunk. Rather than a 'natural high', its now more of a chemical substance, due to chemicals added during growing under powerful artificial lights.

I agree that alcohol followed by tobacco are the 2 most damaging intoxicants known to man, but the skunk goalposts have moved, and should be smoked regularly with caution.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Alcohol is great. Fact!

Cannabis makes me dizzy. I've just never seen the attraction.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm enjoying one right now, but not the other.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:35 pm

It makes you dizzy cos you only smoke it when you're pissed!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:26 pm

freeindeed wrote:It makes you dizzy cos you only smoke it when you're pissed!
Ahh. So thats the reason :oops:

Years ago I was travelling in India and decided to try some Charas (?) with some stoned hippies. I had already had a few Kingfishers that night and mixed with the Charas I rather sadly blacked out, which just freaked out the hippies who at first thought I was dead and then started to worry that the Police would come around.

When it comes to that stuff Bill Clinton was right.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:12 am

Indian Charas is about the nicest hashish you can smoke, i enjoyed plenty while i was in India.

The strange thing is if you drink then smoke it always makes you spin out, and often puke. If you smoke and then drink, you can do both together for a very long time, with a really funny buzz...

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:01 am

Those who think cannabis is harmless are talking bollocks imo.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"