Gardens

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Gardens

Post by Puskas » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:36 pm

What the b@starding feck is the point of gardens? You spend ages digging up weeds, yanking the little feckers out of the ground, only for them to grow back. So you have to do it over and over again.
Then sanctimonious types tell you that it wouldn't be so bad if only you kept on top of it. Well, that would mean I'd have to go out every bloody week and do some gardening. And I want to do as little as possible.
Concreting over the thing. It's the way forward.

And some people actually like gardening. Are they mad? Yes. Clearly, they are.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:42 pm

I live in a very nice flat, with professionally tended gardens that are a joy to sit in.

Thank you.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Batman wrote:I live in a very nice flat, with professionally tended gardens that are a joy to sit in.

Thank you.
it's called a "care home" to everyone else batman.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:23 pm

I know.

Meals are on time and a very nice nurse wipes your arse for you, it's paradise,

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:35 pm

Batman wrote:I know.

Especially if the nurse is called Alfred :wink:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:43 am

Ah, Puskas, you are missing out on the delights of being a gardener. People are not being sanctimonious when they offer advice on those occasions you complain about the drudgery of tending to nature's needs. The pure pleasure that can be gained from maintaining a compost heap, the erotic sensations aroused by pruning and weeding, the sense of achievement at being able, not only to identify but to also spell and pronounce the botanical names of all the hundreds of plants to be found in your personal Eden are but a few of the advantages. There is also the physical fitness aspect to be considered - grabbing a hundredweight of potting mix, throwing it over your shoulder with consummate ease and then lazily ambling around to the potting bench and delicately filling row upon row of seedling tubes without spilling a single atom, or the strengthening of your back muscles with activity hardly noticed when hoeing and digging and, indeed, when harvesting the fruit of your labour.

Then there is the astronomical information that you will inevitably absorb whilst undertaking this wonderful activity. Imagine knowing exactly which part of your garden will be in full sun, partial sun or shade at any time of the year. Imagine having a complicated sundial with an adjustable gnomon. Imagine having a rest for a couple of minutes and surveying the devastation caused by your half finished project and thinking through the tasks yet to be completed.

This, Puskas, is bliss . . . well, my wife says it is. :wink:

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 pm

Delights? FFS!!!

Make sure the concrete is green :)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:25 am

Batman wrote:I know.

She's not called Carol is she? Heard she was into bowels and incontinence these days :mrgreen:

Sorry, I'll get me coat :oops:

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:25 am

You can have the joys of a garden without concrete. A nice mix of paving and gravel with a few pot plants solves the problem (or it would do in my jungle)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:56 am

ratbert wrote:You can have the joys of a garden without concrete. A nice mix of paving and gravel with a few pot plants solves the problem (or it would do in my jungle)
Gardens are a delight. Couple of lawns either side of a path, patio area with a gazebo, roses, berberis, mexican orange blossom and the usual annual fuschia, begonias and geraniums in full bloom. Couple of beers and a bit of music in the evening. Marvelous. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 am

I have a gardener.

He comes in once every two weeks and potters around for a couple of hours.

I then come home, sit on my patio and gaze lovingly over my manicured lawn and borders.

Bliss
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Gardens

Post by fatshaft » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:21 pm

Puskas wrote:What the b@starding feck is the point of gardens? You spend ages digging up weeds, yanking the little feckers out of the ground, only for them to grow back. So you have to do it over and over again.
Then sanctimonious types tell you that it wouldn't be so bad if only you kept on top of it. Well, that would mean I'd have to go out every bloody week and do some gardening. And I want to do as little as possible.

We must have been seperated at birth :pray:

Di Stefano
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Di Stefano » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:00 pm

Puskas wrote:What the b@starding feck is the point of gardens? You spend ages digging up weeds, yanking the little feckers out of the ground, only for them to grow back. So you have to do it over and over again.

So I'm sanctimonious. And mad.

Hmmm. :evil:

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:50 pm

I had the same feeling before approaching middle age and having kids. Your priorities change and come to appreciate the finer things in life. A garden is great to let the children out playing football, mud pies (Yes they still make them) etc. The grass doesn't hurt as much as concrete or astroturf so it is safer. It is much more beautiful to look at especially spring and summer.

As Dujon said you can make a compost heap and convince yourself that you are doing your bit for the environment (My bins only need collecting every 3/4 weeks). Saving money by making your own compost is actually quite rewarding. 8)

I grow a few carrots and pea pods which even my daughter will eat and she think vegetables are disgusting.

If only it wasn't such a time-consuming bitch to keep nice. But it is worth it. I think.