Cotto Vs Margarito

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Cotto Vs Margarito

Post by freeindeed » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:06 am

These guys fight in a few hours. Has the potential to be one of the best fights in history.

Cotto is unbeaten and an amazing boxer, Margarito the best chin i've ever seen. I fancy a Margarito win in the 9th or 10th.

Can't wait!

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:11 pm

I can tell from the fevered response that you are all boxing fans :zzz:

Which surprises me as, i thought football fans like sport...

As it turned out, this fight was the all time classic it was predicted to be, You could drive a truck into Margarito's jaw without so much as a grimace. If Khan had his chin, he would never lose.

Anyway, for those interested and without Setanta you can watch the fight here...

http://www.mmashare.com/video-miguel-co ... t2158.html

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:12 pm

So Mayweather was correct in not giving Cotto a chance then?

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:13 pm

can't take anything dax says at face value when he has a jens lehmann lookalike on his profile pic

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:27 pm

Batman wrote:can't take anything dax says at face value when he has a jens lehmann lookalike on his profile pic
Comparison of the great Marat Safin to that nice person is not welcome.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:28 pm

then change it

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:08 am

Daxter wrote:So Mayweather was correct in not giving Cotto a chance then?
Mayweather could be the greatest of all time. The problem is he's only interested in the maximum profit at the lowest risk. Hence his recent foray into WWF (!)

Cotto would give Mayweather a hell of a fight - tough to call.

Margarito is the most avoided fighter in boxing. Mayweather turned down $8M to fight him. He's not all that slick, but he holds the records for most punches thrown in a fight, gets stronger as the fight goes on, and is impossible to knock out!

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:32 am

freeindeed wrote:
Daxter wrote:So Mayweather was correct in not giving Cotto a chance then?
Mayweather could be the greatest of all time. The problem is he's only interested in the maximum profit at the lowest risk. Hence his recent foray into WWF (!)

Cotto would give Mayweather a hell of a fight - tough to call.

Margarito is the most avoided fighter in boxing. Mayweather turned down $8M to fight him. He's not all that slick, but he holds the records for most punches thrown in a fight, gets stronger as the fight goes on, and is impossible to knock out!
WWE.

Looking at Margarito, I think PBF would have a field day with him. As you say Margarito throws a lot of punches and doesn't exactly look the most technically sound, and given Mayweather's excellence in defense and counter-punching I think he'd pick him off like he did with Hatton, De La Hoya and even N'dou.

I'd have loved to see Mayweather fight Cotto but according to Mayweather he felt Cotto wasn't a big enough name and needed to win more fights and get a more established fan base. In that sense perhaps he was correct?

Shame Mayweather has retired at such an early stage. Normally I would take it with a pinch of salt but reading the actual statment he released I don't see him coming back.

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Re: Cotto Vs Margarito

Post by wovlad » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:50 am

freeindeed wrote:These guys fight in a few hours. Has the potential to be one of the best fights in history.

Cotto is unbeaten and an amazing boxer, Margarito the best chin i've ever seen. I fancy a Margarito win in the 9th or 10th.

Can't wait!
Nearly pal, Margarito in the 11th.

There's talk of Hatton stepping up to fight Cotto after his next bout in Vegas. Hope the lad sticks to
his normal weight a few more fights and then calls it a day.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

GingerMourinho
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Cotto Vs Margarito

Post by GingerMourinho » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:06 pm

wovlad wrote:
freeindeed wrote:These guys fight in a few hours. Has the potential to be one of the best fights in history.

Can't wait!
Nearly pal, Margarito in the 11th.

There's talk of Hatton stepping up to fight Cotto after his next bout in Vegas. Hope the lad sticks to
his normal weight a few more fights and then calls it a day.
I hope for Hattons sake he doesn't, he wouldn't last 3 rounds unfortunately.

He is going to have a hard enough time fighting Pacquiao, who is realistically 2 weights below him.

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:58 pm

I think Cotto's style would suit Hatton. He would'nt have to go looking for him thats for sure.

Pacquiao stepping up two weights gives the advantage to Hatton. My worry is about fighter who
are thinking about retirement it leads you to question their desire to put the hours in the gym required.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

GingerMourinho
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by GingerMourinho » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:02 pm

wovlad wrote:I think Cotto's style would suit Hatton. He would'nt have to go looking for him thats for sure.

Pacquiao stepping up two weights gives the advantage to Hatton. My worry is about fighter who
are thinking about retirement it leads you to question their desire to put the hours in the gym required.
Hatton has no chance against Pacquiao and in my opinion its nothing to do with desire(yet). He's gone after the Mayweather fight, there were signs of it against Lazcano, yes it looked like a routine victory, but it wasn't. He's no head movement, exactly what Billy Graham has been telling him to do.(Move his head - and why he has subsequently been fired.) You wont change Hatton's style at 29.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:46 pm

I agree that Pacquaio would beat Hatton.

As for Cotto - Hatton, woulda been a cracker 2 or 3 years back. Now Cotto is just too good a boxer. Fairly easy win.

Daxter - Mayweather v Margarito i believe would be much harder for Floyd than you think. First thing is that Floyd is not gonna stop him. He would certainly pick him off much as Cotto did in the early rounds, but Margarito will keep coming and keep coming hitting Floyd on the hips, elbows, arms, torso. Floyd will run and run, and may outpoint him in a gutless fashion. Tony would push him further than he's ever been before.

If Floyd ever does come back, this is the fight he'll likely have to take. I expext Tony to beat Paul Williams in their rematch - then clean out the division.

However Floyd ducked him for big money before, so i dont see him relishing the fight any time soon.

The upcoming welterweight fighter to watch is Andre Berto...

GingerMourinho
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by GingerMourinho » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:19 pm

freeindeed wrote:
Daxter - Mayweather v Margarito i believe would be much harder for Floyd than you think. First thing is that Floyd is not gonna stop him. He would certainly pick him off much as Cotto did in the early rounds, but Margarito will keep coming and keep coming hitting Floyd on the hips, elbows, arms, torso. Floyd will run and run, and may outpoint him in a gutless fashion. Tony would push him further than he's ever been before.
Spot on mate, hes got some chin has Tony, I thought Cotto would kill him and at the end of th 5th/6th round it looked that way, but he just doesn't go down.

There are some amazing fights coming up in the next 12 months in the welterweight division, thats without even mentioning the lightweight division.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:18 am

freeindeed wrote:I agree that Pacquaio would beat Hatton.

As for Cotto - Hatton, woulda been a cracker 2 or 3 years back. Now Cotto is just too good a boxer. Fairly easy win.

If Floyd ever does come back, this is the fight he'll likely have to take. I expext Tony to beat Paul Williams in their rematch - then clean out the division.

However Floyd ducked him for big money before, so i dont see him relishing the fight any time soon.

Completely agree with the Hatton sentiments, he's gone - the constant binge eating and drinking plus his fighting style has cost him dearly... I actually can see him being beaten by Malignaggi in November. According to people who were involved in the pre-Lazcano camp he couldn't put a dent in a featherweight in sparring and actually had to be pulled out of there after a few rounds as he was running out of steam. I'm actually having a look at a late Malignaggi stoppage at 100/1 - unlikely but possibly too good not to have a few quid on a few rounds.

In regards to Floyd, firstly i'm going to confess to being a huge fan so there may be some element of bias here, but honestly he boxes rings around both Margarito and Cotto. Defensively there is no-one who can touch him. It wouldn't be entertaining but he would win a large UD against Margarito purely because Marg wouldn't be able to get close.

Floyd versus Cotto would be closer, however, again due to Mayweather's superior speed, stamina and defensive attributes he'd not have a problem.

Unfortunately it looks like we might not see a Margarito/Williams re-match due to problems with the promoters, however, I couldn't call who would win - Williams is that big that Margarito finds it difficult to bully him and if Williams can keep him at distance then he could get the same result as previous.

Just for the record - Floyd turned down the $8m offer to fight Margarito due to the issues between him and Bob Arum (PBF's previous promoter - huge problems between the two of them) and also to go after the DLH fight. Since Floyd cleaned out the Lightweight division his entire career seems to be based on fighting DLH in the 'Superfight' that occurred.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:48 am

Loyal White wrote:
freeindeed wrote:I agree that Pacquaio would beat Hatton.

Completely agree with the Hatton sentiments, he's gone - the constant binge eating and drinking plus his fighting style has cost him dearly... I actually can see him being beaten by Malignaggi in November. According to people who were involved in the pre-Lazcano camp he couldn't put a dent in a featherweight in sparring and actually had to be pulled out of there after a few rounds as he was running out of steam. I'm actually having a look at a late Malignaggi stoppage at 100/1 - unlikely but possibly too good not to have a few quid on a few rounds.

In regards to Floyd, firstly i'm going to confess to being a huge fan so there may be some element of bias here, but honestly he boxes rings around both Margarito and Cotto. Defensively there is no-one who can touch him. It wouldn't be entertaining but he would win a large UD against Margarito purely because Marg wouldn't be able to get close.

Floyd versus Cotto would be closer, however, again due to Mayweather's superior speed, stamina and defensive attributes he'd not have a problem.

Unfortunately it looks like we might not see a Margarito/Williams re-match due to problems with the promoters, however, I couldn't call who would win - Williams is that big that Margarito finds it difficult to bully him and if Williams can keep him at distance then he could get the same result as previous.

Just for the record - Floyd turned down the $8m offer to fight Margarito due to the issues between him and Bob Arum (PBF's previous promoter - huge problems between the two of them) and also to go after the DLH fight. Since Floyd cleaned out the Lightweight division his entire career seems to be based on fighting DLH in the 'Superfight' that occurred.
Yeah my bro is a big Hatton fan, but i think Malinaggi could win also. Those odds of 100-1 sound like a v.good bet.

As for Mayweather his skills are undeniable. The opponents he has fought, although clearly of a very high standard - has unquestionably ducked the real tough fights in a very deep division.

Against De la Hoya who is bigger and pressed the action, Floyd scraped a win, and didnt enjoy being pressed. I am certain that Margarito would stop De la hoya, he is bigger, relentless and may even stop Floyd. I think he is way better than his rough style suggests.

Against Williams, Margarito started very slowly. Once he realised his plight he hammered Williams for the last few rounds, and think he will charge from round 1 and win the rematch, if made.