So who killed Jill Dando?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

So who killed Jill Dando?

Post by fatshaft » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Her 'killer' freed at re-trial

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/aug/0 ... o.ukcrime1
Barry George was today acquitted of the murder of the BBC personality Jill Dando nine years ago.

The jury at the retrial in the Old Bailey rejected the prosecution's allegations that George, described in court as "the local nutter", shot the 37-year-old Crimewatch presenter.

Dando was killed on her doorstep in Gowan Avenue, Fulham, west London, in April 1999.

Today's verdict comes after two trials and two appeals, and means no one has been brought to justice for the killing.

The prosecution alleged George, 48, of Fulham, had obsessions with celebrities and guns. The jury heard from a series of women who claim to have been approached by George.

George showed no reaction as the verdict was read out.
His sister Michelle Diskin, who was also sitting in court, punched the air and cried "yes".

George is expected to walk free from the Old Bailey this afternoon.

The jury of eight women and four men had been out for less than two days at the end of an eight-week trial.

Central to George's conviction at the first trial was a tiny speck of gunpowder residue found in his pocket. Subsequent analysis led to doubts about its importance and the court of appeal's quashing of the conviction last year.

The retrial jury was told how George claimed to be the cousin of Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of the band Queen, and to have served in the SAS.

George, who has epilepsy and a mental disability, was arrested in 2000 and found guilty of Dando's murder in July the following year.

A first appeal failed but a second appeal last November concluded fresh scientific evidence meant there was "no certainty" the jury at his original trial would have convicted him.

The judge, Mr Justice Griffith Williams, was told that the speck, although the same type found on the victim, could have come from other sources.

George, a local loner who was said to have stalked and photographed hundreds of women, always maintained his innocence.

He was supported in court by his sister, who has led the fight for his release.

She was instrumental in getting the Criminal Cases Review Commission, an independent body that investigates possible miscarriages of justice, to refer the case to the court of appeal.

George became the prime suspect after detectives reviewed the evidence and his name came up among several others put forward after appeals to the public.

During three weeks of undercover surveillance, he was seen to approach 38 women in the area to try to make conversation with them.

His home in nearby Crookham Road was searched and officers found 2,248 photographs taken of unsuspecting women. The pictures, on 100 rolls of undeveloped film, also had shots of a number of female television presenters, including Anthea Turner.

They found a gun holster and lists of guns, military magazines and a picture of George wearing a gas mask and holding a starting pistol.

The prosecution said it was the sort of weapon that, if converted, could have fired the fatal shot. But there was no direct evidence of him at the scene of the crime when the murder took place.

Jonathan Laidlaw QC, prosecuting, said George was a celebrity and gun-obsessed stalker with a grudge against the BBC.

William Clegg QC, defending, said the prosecution case was circumstantial and there was no direct evidence that George was the killer.

He said the prosecution could not prove that the killer, seen by two witnesses shortly after the shooting at just after 11.30am, was George.

The case hinged on the killer being the same man other witnesses had described as being of Mediterranean appearance.
Clegg said: "There is insufficient evidence and a fatal weakness in the Crown's case."

During police interviews, George said he didn't know Dando or where she lived before her death was in the news. "I have never seen Jill Dando in the flesh in any shape or form," he said.

George worked for a short time as a messenger at the BBC, but he frequently called in there to collect copies of the staff newspaper.

Police arrested him in 1983 hiding in bushes outside Kensington Palace in an attempt to see Diana, Princess of Wales. He was dressed in combat gear, was carrying a length of rope and had a knife in his belt. He was not charged.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:24 pm

Bet it wwas Nick Ross, or Megson.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:45 pm

Batman wrote:Bet it wwas Nick Ross, or Megson.
aye, defo a ginger anyway :mrgreen:

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:11 pm

The Guardian also has a theory that Serbians did it, as Jill fronted an appeal on the BBC for refugees in that country at the time. It was probably gangsters sending a message to Crimewatch though.

We may never find out...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:08 pm

Police in 'arresting local weirdo cos they haven't got a clue who actually did it' shocker?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:19 pm

Course it was. Fitted up no end.

I reckon it was Carol Vorderman. She saw Dando as a threat on her 'minx with a brain' title, so offed her. It's no coincidence she's leaving Countdown soon. She's been found out. FACT.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 pm

They say her ex-husband's an odd piece of work. Not that it could possibly be him. Although being an odd piece of work seems to be enough for a spell in chokey.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:41 pm

The Duke of Edinburgh did it :mrgreen:

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:42 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Course it was. Fitted up no end.

I reckon it was Carol Vorderman. She saw Dando as a threat on her 'minx with a brain' title, so offed her. It's no coincidence she's leaving Countdown soon. She's been found out. FACT.
4 letters, poor effort.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Well I've always thought that finding a single spec of gunpowder on a coat owned by a man that owns a gun, hardly places him outside a house in Fulham at a specific time whilst shooting someone through the head. He may well have done it, I don't know, but it's always struck me as being the weakest murder case I've ever read about.
May the bridges I burn light your way

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:14 am

Aye, not to mention the poor bastard will be charged for 'bed and board' for the eight years he spent in chokey. I'd complain and ask for a refund, no view of wilderbeasts sweeping majestically across the plains and the radio didn't work.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:18 am

Who's Jan Dildo?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:29 am

InsaneApache wrote:Aye, not to mention the poor bastard will be charged for 'bed and board' for the eight years he spent in chokey. I'd complain and ask for a refund, no view of wilderbeasts sweeping majestically across the plains and the radio didn't work.
And what was he expecting to see? Hanging gardens of Babylon? Leaning tower of Piza? And could he see the sea? :wink:

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:46 am

It wasn't me. :wink:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:54 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:It wasn't me. :wink:
The Zulu doth protest too much, methinks! :shock:

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:00 am

I reckon the Mccanns did it!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:34 am

Barry George
Sto ut Serviam

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:40 am

Wasn't he that darts player with all the jewellery? The Barry Dazzler.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you