Piss poor Comedians

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:59 am

I saw Frankie Boyle last year in Blackburn, he was pretty good except that he'd already done most of his act on Mock the Week. I ended up being part of the show though; apparently it's not a good idea for someone of my height/weight ratio who's also balding and without dress sense to sit right on the front row. :D
Businesswoman of the year.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:24 am

ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs wrote:Chubby Brown ("oooh, look at me! I swear!)
A mate of mine was at his gig in Bradford in the mid 90s when Brown was chased off stage after he opened with a gag about the Bradford Fire in 85 (something along the lines of "yer bastards - yer didn't invite me to your barbecue at your football ground").
That bloke from Bristol
Justin Lee Collins? Oh God, we have a winner. I'd never tire of tw*tting him.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:35 am

Rated R Superstar wrote:
Athers wrote:Gervais stand up on GTA VI is just awful. hhurrrrrrr fat people.
I kinda thought it was supposed to be shit. GTA irony and all that.

But if it was 'shit on purpose' it wouldn't be much of a departure from his usual shtick.

Can't stand the man
If I recall, it's lifted directly from one of his stand up DVDs...

I like Gervais but he's far funnier when he's with Stephen and Karl on their (sometimes) podcasts.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:38 am

Merchant is far funnier than Gervais, but surely Pilkington is an actor, he cannot be that stupid.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:42 am

I personally believe he is honestly that much of an idiot.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:20 pm

Tate is just not funny at all. I have tried and tried to see it but I just do not. She's about as funny as a bus trip in Canada! I've made my views clear about that non-comedian Harry Hill, he's that bad he makes his dad Benny look hilarious. Going back a bit, Hale and Pace, what a load of crap. They traded for the best part of a decade on the 'Two Rons' sketch, which was funny, however a one trick joke does not make a comedy act, never mind several series.

I used to have a down on Jimmy Carr but then I saw some of his stuff online and I was impressed, very, very funny. Judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2CdB9-JUQk

:D
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Saw Simon Amstell earlier this summer. Love him on the buzzcocks. I wouldn't say he was piss poor at stand up but he wasn't great. Kept trying to change the world rather than simply be funny. And his big joke at the end flopped, nobody got it and realised that was his big gag

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm with the person who said all female comedians. Maybe there is a good one out there somewhere, but i've never seen her.

Lee Evans is number one on my hitlist. If your material is any good, you don't need to run round and round like a nice person.

Quite like Gervais though, and Peter Kay. So what do i know.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:04 pm

Can't be doing with that Gina Yashere creature.

"IF I SHOUT, IN A NIGERIAN ACCENT, IT'S FUNNY!"

No it's not, you're a fat stupid woman now button it

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:10 pm

Catherine Tate's problem is having a tiny amount of material and spreading it an awful long way. Each sketch is about 4 times as long as it should be and like much of modern day comedy is based on a character having a few catchphrases rather than any wit.

As for female stand ups, I liked Aussie Sarah Kendall when I saw her at the Edinburgh festival and Rita Rudner usually makes me laugh.

Harry Hill needs to be killed with extreme prejudice. The Office wasn't funny - just cringeworthy and Gervais nicked the idea off someone else. There, I feel better now.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: I'll tell you who I saw at Bury Met a couple of years back who was piss funny: Roy Walker's son!
Always liked Roy Walker. He was one of the first comediens to abandon jokes in favour of telling from life, a la Connolly. ie

"My mother used to stand in front of me and roar at me "Do you know who I am?" I mean if she asks to ask me she must be very confused" Silly-simple, but made me laugh. Peter Kay is just a modern version of a much funnier Walker.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: I'll tell you who I saw at Bury Met a couple of years back who was piss funny: Roy Walker's son!
Always liked Roy Walker. He was one of the first comediens to abandon jokes in favour of telling from life, a la Connolly. ie

"My mother used to stand in front of me and roar at me "Do you know who I am?" I mean if she asks to ask me she must be very confused" Silly-simple, but made me laugh. Peter Kay is just a modern version of a much funnier Walker.

Reminds me of a Harry Hill joke 'if my Nan wears false teeth, how can I believe a word she says?'

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Peter Kay is just a modern version of a much funnier Walker.
Respect -100000000000000000000000 for you now sir.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:22 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
That bloke from Bristol
Justin Lee Collins? Oh God, we have a winner. I'd never tire of tw*tting him.
He's bloody rubbish on the Sunday night project but I liked the series of 'Bring back' shows he did. Was good doing the E4 show that was shown after the terrible reality show 'The Games' too.

Agree about Catherine Tate. Her sketch show was awful as was her piss poor attempt at acting on Dr Who.

Mansell Way
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mansell Way » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:32 pm

Daxter wrote:
Here's a piss poor comedian- Harry Hill. fecking shit. :fishing:
absolute wank, I turn the sound off when I watch you've been framed so I don't here his cringeworthy comments.

Seeing Lee Evans in November.

Mock the Week is brilliant, far better than 8 out of ten cats and that bollocks. At least Mock The Week don't just talk about Big Brother for 90% of the show.

As for Russell Howard, the show on BBC 6 Music he had with Jon Richardson was brilliant, saw him in Manchester a bit ago he was pretty good.

Paddy Mcguinnes isn't to impressive, just talks about sex and stuff, very few actual jokes.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Batman wrote: Hugh Dennis on Mock the Week
It does show him up as the unfunny article h truly is. 'Peaked' :roll: on 'Whose Line...'

Batman wrote:Andy Parsons on the same
:roll: No. Not Frankie Boyle class, but there is a reason he is there every week, although the same could be said of Dennis, maybe he's there to make the others look good?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
Mock The Week is a painfully shit format for an improv show, and all the performers look like they know it.
lol :crazy:

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:52 pm

I watched 8 out of 10 Cats once, it was absolutely woeful. Carr opened with "Did you know that Koala Bears sleep for 18 hours a day? So shhhh." It never got any better.

Mock the Week is only good because of Frankie Boyle, Dara, and an occasional good guest. Most of the guests they get on are rubbish, especially the women.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:07 am

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Dave Spikey, utter bandwagon jumper with no original material.

Have to disagree with TD (quelle suprise) but Conolly stopped being funny in about 1985. A man so far up his own rectum it is untrue. His act is just the same and he now things he's some sort of worthy "artist", with his silly tail-shirts and pink goatee. Sorry but "wee wee, willy bum, fart, jobby" as a whole act is aiming at 5 year olds.

Have seen Jimmy Carr live and he was funny, not quite Monkhouse but who is?

Ross Noble was brilliant live, but he isn't a 'gagmeister' like Monkhouse.

Agree with comments on McGuiness (Act: Ladies I've got a massive **ckin cock me), Evans (Act: oooh Mr Grimsdale) and Gervais (Act: look animals shaggin!)

Bruce - what was so unfunny as to cause this reaction.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaqL8B5p ... re=related
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:54 am

communistworkethic wrote:Can't believe nobody has mentioned Dave Spikey, utter bandwagon jumper with no original material.
I have, on the last page. For me both Spikey and McGuinness are simply stealing a very handsome living. Spikey did a 15 minute session when I was once on a corporate in the Platinum Suite. That was more than enough for me.
communistworkethic wrote: Bruce - what was so unfunny as to cause this reaction.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaqL8B5p ... re=related
Well, nothing really. I was as shocked as everyone else. His act was largely unfunny and incredibly vulgar, to such a point that some people had excercised their right to leave. However, no-one could have been personally insulted by anything he said. Next thing, this guy with an Ulster accent blurts out a couple of heckles, Jeffries doesn't really take him on, and you've provided a link to what happened next. Everyone was just left scratching their heads to be honest. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:26 pm

Lee Evans (Norman Wisdom wasn't funny, and neither are you)

Russell Brand (contrived West Ham supporting tw*t)

Eddie Izzard (random mumbling does not equal comedy)