Piss poor Comedians

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

Piss poor Comedians

Post by Batman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:49 pm

Just seen a bit of Gervais doing stand up, and sweet Jesus it was about as funny as ball cancer....

Led me to think of other unfunny pricks, Lee Evans, Lenny Henry, that tosspot from My Family......

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:56 pm

Oh for Four candles, er fork handles and plugs. Le Evans is just Norman Wisdom forty years too late.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Oh for Four candles, er fork handles and plugs. Le Evans is just Norman Wisdom forty years too late.
I'd pay money not to see or hear of that sketch again.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 pm

warthog wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Oh for Four candles, er fork handles and plugs. Le Evans is just Norman Wisdom forty years too late.
I'd pay money not to see or hear of that sketch again.
Corbett and Barker. Comedy legends. :mrgreen:

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:04 pm

Ben Elton
Hugh Dennis on Mock the Week
Andy Parsons on the same
Any of the spazwits from 'Friends'

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:15 pm

The spazwits from Friends are actors, fed the lines because there are 15 writers hired to write each individual line. Bit ambitious to call them comedians.

Mock The Week is a painfully shit format for an improv show, and all the performers look like they know it.

Barker and Corbett are legends, but the frequency with which that sketch, along with endless repeats of the 12 episodes of Porridge, almost spoils it. Almost.

Ben Elton is a great novellist. There. I said it. I was particularly taken in by Dead Famous.

Gervais I find rather hit and miss. If I'm in the mood for it, he is a rather funny stand up. If not, it's just someone saying something offensive in order to get a laugh, and just makes him look like Prince Phillp trying to get a laugh.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:20 pm

I like Lee Evans but can see why people wouldn't be fans. His actual material isn't that groundbreaking but his delivery is hilarious IMO. Seeing him live in Novemeber.

Here's a piss poor comedian- Harry Hill. fecking shit. :fishing:

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:24 pm

Daxter you bastard.

Got tickets for Russell Howard at Bolton in Nov, and Frankie Boyle in Preston in Nov too, can't wait.

Sadly Harry Hill isn't touring this year, but got Steve Coogan tickets too......

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:29 pm

Only real comedian I like these days is Connelly. Read an interview by the guy who plays Mulder in X Files and he said Connelly isn't always trying to crack jokes and be funny, he listens to and shows interest in people. Rare these days.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:33 pm

Although the thread is about crap comedians but can I suggest some comediennes. Like all of them. Women doing stand up just doesn't do it for me.

But the most unfunny person ever is Catherine Tate. Flavour of the month as well. How? Why?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:02 am

Gervais stand up on GTA VI is just awful. hhurrrrrrr fat people.

Frankie Boyle amuses me greatly actually whereas Russell Howard does not (funny voice again eh Russell). Mock the Week is worth watching it does seem to be an advert for their stand up tours and they use the same material in it on certain rounds.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rated R Superstar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rated R Superstar » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:13 am

Athers wrote:Gervais stand up on GTA VI is just awful. hhurrrrrrr fat people.
I kinda thought it was supposed to be shit. GTA irony and all that.

But if it was 'shit on purpose' it wouldn't be much of a departure from his usual shtick.

Can't stand the man
Don't call it a comeback

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:20 am

First series of The Office was funny. It was also a complete scenario and should have ended there. As usual, it didn't and went dowhill all the way.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:46 am

malcd1 wrote:Although the thread is about crap comedians but can I suggest some comediennes. Like all of them. Women doing stand up just doesn't do it for me.

But the most unfunny person ever is Catherine Tate. Flavour of the month as well. How? Why?
Linda Smith was good. But I'm with you on Tate.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

cophilie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cophilie » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:30 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
malcd1 wrote:Although the thread is about crap comedians but can I suggest some comediennes. Like all of them. Women doing stand up just doesn't do it for me.

Linda Smith was good. But I'm with you on Tate.
See you and raise you Jo Brand.

"I'm fat and annoying...aren't I funny!"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:14 am

I have two stories from uni to pass on to you all.

First one, some Glasweigen woman comes on stage to a room full of predominantly male students, to ramble on about various feminist issues. She was throwing in all the old cliches about men being bad in bed, and smelling and it wasn't going down well, especially coming from this lump. So basically the whole room started talking over her and nobody noticed when she vacated early

Second involves a poster on this site

When Peter Kay was still popular, ie before everyone found out he was a cock, and Phoenix Nights was in its prime one Justin Moorhouse compered down our uni. Said poster was very much inebriated (sp?), and decided he was as funny as the pro and started heckling/joining in/setting him up with put downs until Mr Moorhouse asked the whole place if they thought he was a nice person, which brought one of the loudest cheers I've heard at the uni and then asked if anyone wanted to kick the shit out of him and that cheer was louder

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:39 am

Couple of mates saw Frankie Boyle's stand-up last year and weren't all that impressed. I was at the Comedy Club on the night that Jim Jefferies got twatted on stage. He wasn't funny one bit, just vulgar, although I still to this day haven't worked out why a guy would climb on stage and knock feck out of him.
I'll tell you who I saw at Bury Met a couple of years back who was piss funny: Roy Walker's son!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:45 am

This thread should have stopped when Harry Hill got a well deserved mention. Totally, totally unfunny. Still, if we all laughed at the same things...
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:54 am

Peter Kay
Ross Noble
Lee Evans
Ricky Gervais
That other git from Max and Paddy. McGuinness or sumert.
Jo Brand
Lenny Henry
Alan Carr
Jimmy Carr
Chubby Brown ("oooh, look at me! I swear!)
Harry Hill
That bloke from Bristol

I think that just about covers it...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:59 am

ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs wrote:That other git from Max and Paddy. McGuinness or sumert.
An embarrassment to our town. Has he ever come out with anything even remotely funny? See also, Dave Spikey.

I'll have to disagree with you on Jimmy Carr though. Seen him a couple of times at The Apollo and thought that he was very good on both occasions. That said, I don't watch him on TV.
May the bridges I burn light your way