The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:05 pm

It's probably time to remind ourselves why Michael Foot n Neil Kinnock were unelectable. Whilst recognising that Thatcher had plenty who liked her, there were plenty didn't and Foot and Kinnock couldn't sway enough of the "not sure's"...in most cases, by quite a considerable distance. Completely unelectable.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:17 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Not a lot of that I disagree with. Few tweaks here and there (I think opticians are better, for example, but then there is actually a market there) but what you seem to have done is cleverly argued that privatisation would NOT make the NHS better, and I'd broadly agree. These nutters, and JC (it's not a cult) is one if them, wouldn't have it if it did make it better.

well - so you reckon - but that's just your guesswork. It is quite possible that they simply believe (like you appear to believe) that it WOULDN'T make it better... unless you have some kind of quote that backs what you are saying up... :conf:

how are opticians better?
I refer the honorable gentleman back literally one page.

And you pay about £15 (i mean, you don't, I haven't paid for either if my last three eye tests, they are always giving out free vouchers, but still). It's in the town centre. You don't wait. They have all the latest gear. They're banging.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:32 pm

They were free until 1988...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:41 pm

And shite.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:45 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Well, I thought that Corbyn came across extremely well, as usual. Is it the idea of Labour supporters just for them to get into government at any old cost, or to have a party built on its principals?
You are in a fairly small minority. And I suspect you only think he's good because he will keep the Tories in for decades.

One might say Cameron abandoned some traditional Tory ideologies or principles to get power.

such as?
Pre 2010 did he not drag the Tory party away from tradition to the centre on crime, immigration, the environment etc.....

what - you mean his election photo with the huskies?? seriously?? I don't think he dragged them anywhere!

post election - and I have praised him more than onvce on here for this - he bravely pushed through same-sex marriage - I hope that's his legacy, cos that was a brave thing to do - but he didn't do that to get power - that was after gaining it...
Nah. How about pre 2010 all the hug a hoodie stuff. He moved some stuff away from traditional Tory positions to the centre.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:28 pm

Hoboh wrote:Anyone else think this 'coup' in Turkey just doesn't seem right?
We've been living in Istanbul for just over a year now. Last Friday night (the "coup" night) was an interesting one; we can see the bridge in question from our window, so the gunfire and fighter jets were fairly adjacent. While that one night was a bit unsettling, the long-term effects for the country are perhaps more worrying. I am concerned which way Turkey is heading at the moment. And that's probably all I'm comfortable saying on a public forum while I'm still living here.
Which is telling in itself.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Nah. How about pre 2010 all the hug a hoodie stuff. He moved some stuff away from traditional Tory positions to the centre.
no he didn't! they were just bollox photo opportunities - he moved the tories nowhere away from traditional positions...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:And shite.
shite in what way? (were you even alive in 1988??) - surely you're not comparing the gear avaialble in 1988 with the gear available in 2016 and concluding private is better?

I have read the previous page - no quotes at all about Corbyn and any statement or belief that he'd say any privatisation in the NHS would be bad even if it made it better - not a single one...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:07 pm

well - suspending the European Convention on Human Rights is exactly the kind of thing you've been adbvocating us doing for ages... seems right up your street.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 am

Winter Hill White wrote:
We've been living in Istanbul for just over a year now. Last Friday night (the "coup" night) was an interesting one; we can see the bridge in question from our window, so the gunfire and fighter jets were fairly adjacent. While that one night was a bit unsettling, the long-term effects for the country are perhaps more worrying. I am concerned which way Turkey is heading at the moment. And that's probably all I'm comfortable saying on a public forum while I'm still living here.

Jesus, that must be a bit hairy. Stay safe. Are you intending coming home?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:39 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Winter Hill White wrote:

Jesus, that must be a bit hairy. Stay safe. Are you intending coming home?
aye... stay safe, mate...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:40 am

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:And shite.
shite in what way? (were you even alive in 1988??) - surely you're not comparing the gear avaialble in 1988 with the gear available in 2016 and concluding private is better?

I have read the previous page - no quotes at all about Corbyn and any statement or belief that he'd say any privatisation in the NHS would be bad even if it made it better - not a single one...
Quite - I think they were "of their time" rather than "shite" - of course you couldn't pick Gucci frames for your specs direct with them and free, but I wouldn't expect that you should.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:02 am

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... ate-jeremy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It just gets worse and worse.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:30 am

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:That's nothing to do with middle of the roadness...it's to do with having a party leader who was a tit. And rightly or leftly, no govt who happened to be in power during the global financial meltdown were likely to get re-elected in 2010 and it didn't really matter a whit what Milliband's policies were coz he didn't sound credible...
and looked a bit odd (and a bit jewish) when confronted with a bacon roll...
He did look a bit of an odd ball, but was it really necessary to bring up the Jewish bit, or are you just suggesting it was, by implication, a major factor in not being electable?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:33 am

thebish wrote:
well - suspending the European Convention on Human Rights is exactly the kind of thing you've been adbvocating us doing for ages... seems right up your street.
Not so our government could go around removing 1000's of judges, teachers and academics mate.
The odd hate preacher/suspected terrorist or foreign criminal is hardly comparable.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Just come back from Owen Smiths leadership launch in the Friends Meeting House, Manchester.

Good orator and in a few years he'll be ready, but not now.

Jezzer tomorrow at the Lowry.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:
Not so our government could go around removing 1000's of judges, teachers and academics mate.
The odd hate preacher/suspected terrorist or foreign criminal is hardly comparable.
They'll be in the EU before the end of the year....85m of them heading in our direction...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Surely 84.95 m after he's finished?

I also find it laughable that you can pick and choose who gets rights. Thats the whole point, we don't pick who we like, everyone gets them. Unfortunately the very people who constantly advocate a martial response to everything are precisely the people, who, on our behalf, would throw anything away worth fighting for without first engaging their brains. And make us into a country like Turkey.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:43 pm

clapton is god wrote:Just come back from Owen Smiths leadership launch in the Friends Meeting House, Manchester.

Good orator and in a few years he'll be ready, but not now.

Jezzer tomorrow at the Lowry.
Aye, best stay with the safe pair of hands for now.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Me, my Mrs and a few others today: