The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Let's not forget that pensioner households now have higher income than working age households. *income*. But triple lock that down.

Millennials all have Insta though, so...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri May 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:05 pm
Let's not forget that pensioner households now have higher income than working age households. *income*. But triple lock that down.

Indeed, property is largely exempt from any capital gains tax during a persons lifetime, it appreciates massively in value (primarily due to macroeconomic forces and not because of anything the property owner has done) and then people get up in arms when the estate is taxed at death.

I don't think the new Tory policy has it right though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:21 pm
Nor do I.

One of the various reasons that I'm currently right up for drawing a massive spunking cock and bollocks (with pubes) on my ballot paper is that all I'm hearing from all sides are pledges without any background working out at all.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri May 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:26 pm
Beefheart wrote:
Nor do I.

One of the various reasons that I'm currently right up for drawing a massive spunking cock and bollocks (with pubes) on my ballot paper is that all I'm hearing from all sides are pledges without any background working out at all.
I quite like the idea of legalising weed at least, that and four extra bank holidays. So I'm a bit torn.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri May 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:26 pm
Beefheart wrote:
Nor do I.

This is not entirely true. Labour have actually said they will submit their manifesto pledges to the OBR for home-work checking if the Tories will do the same.

Which begs thw questiin, if the Tories is so significantly better, why haven't they ripped their hands off at the offer?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri May 19, 2017 3:49 pm

There are things in the tory manifesto that I just can not ever seeing myself get behind:
A vote to bring back fox hunting.
No Leveson follow up (meaning all the dastadly offshore-owned vested-interested papers which fill our elders with fear and keep them trotting out to vote blue and purple will continue to get a free pass, Hi Hoboh, you f*cking f*ckwit)
Fracking. The planet's atmosphere is f*cked enough without the need to go into its soul.
A pledges to increase the earning thresholds for people wishing to sponsor migrants for family visas (currently on £18,600). How Christian of our God-Bothering PM.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 am
Someone has to pay for it and, despite their constant complaints to the contrary, pensioners haven't. Sure, pooling the risk would be better but every time anyone has suggested some sort of inheritance tax change old people have f*cked them up so...
If they own the "asset" be it property or pensions or shares, for most people in that position it will be because they've earned it and managed to pay tax and insurance all their working lives (if you think mortgage often 30/40 years when first taken out).

The ones who this will hit are probably the very ones that have pretty much paid for their welfare or at least made a very significant contribution to it.

On the flip side, this is so "counter-tory" it's funny.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Indeed, property is largely exempt from any capital gains tax during a persons lifetime, it appreciates massively in value (primarily due to macroeconomic forces and not because of anything the property owner has done) and then people get up in arms when the estate is taxed at death.

Of course it appreciates in value. That's why people buy them. If mine was still worth what it was when I bought it, and I'd put 60% of everything I earned after paying 40% tax, into it, working 90 hour weeks, then I'd be mightily pissed off.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 pm

The Tories don't want theirs costed because it clearly includes tax rises. Tax rises they refuse to detail (or rule out). But their numbers are wild without some increased taxation somewhere.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2017 10:42 am

I'm not that keen on the repressive regime in Saudi. But surely they have some law allowing them to behead orange people.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 21, 2017 5:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 pm
The Tories don't want theirs costed because it clearly includes tax rises. Tax rises they refuse to detail (or rule out). But their numbers are wild without some increased taxation somewhere.
Maybe it's tax rises for the rich ;)

According to Katie Hopkins those of us that fall below the £80K earnings barrier simply haven't applied ourselves sufficiently. :roll:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Right, I'm all befuddled now. Where, exactly is May up to with this care business? Anyone? :conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 2:07 pm
Right, I'm all befuddled now. Where, exactly is May up to with this care business? Anyone? :conf:
She wants people to pay for their care out of their estates - even if care is provided in their own homes.

Put the policy out, then has decided to backtrack somewhat when she realised how unpopular it was amongst core Tory voters and add a cap in.

Think that is broadly it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 22, 2017 3:48 pm

It's an absolutely horrendous suggestion and one that's making me think twice about backing them.. As well as a couple of other policies.

I'm on the fence this week
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 22, 2017 3:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:22 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 2:07 pm
She wants people to pay for their care out of their estates - even if care is provided in their own homes.

Put the policy out, then has decided to backtrack somewhat when she realised how unpopular it was amongst core Tory voters and add a cap in.

Think that is broadly it.
Cheers. That's roughly where I'd got it to. Just filled out one of those on-line whose-policies-are-most-in-tune-with-your-thinking things and it said I should be voting Lib Dem. There wasn't even a question about spliffs on it either. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:48 pm
It's an absolutely horrendous suggestion and one that's making me think twice about backing them.. As well as a couple of other policies.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Boris, there's every chance that my ballot paper's going back with a cock and bollocks drawn on it.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon May 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Michael Flynn is rejecting the Congressional subpoena, refusing to hand over documents and pleading the fifth. This will start the rumour mill buzzing.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm
boltonboris wrote:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Boris, there's every chance that my ballot paper's going back with a cock and bollocks drawn on it.
Mine will be much bigger. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Thinking twice? Didn't you mention you'd just taken out a fairly hefty mortgage? Work out how much you're going to pay over the term - take a punt on how much you think it will be worth in 35 years time....subtract 100k and hope you don't go fcking gaga.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:59 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Mine will be much bigger. :D
Mine will be strong and stable though. :D