The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:31 pm

What's the point in debating such a strong and stable argument?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:31 pm
What's the point in debating such a strong and stable argument?
Fair point.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Fck. Does that make me an LK sympathiser?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:46 pm

https://youtu.be/p7iUYWMD77w

Genius. Advise everybody to watch before voting. Cassetteboy rules!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:12 pm

Well, that's me told then! According to the other half voting for the greens would be like inviting hell and damnation upon the UK because they have no chance and I should decide to vote for which one of the main two I dislike least or cop for the one I don't want.
Thinking about it all day, I really despise Corbyn, most of his policies, certainly the muppets surrounding him, (Praise the lord we may have seen the last of Abbott in any meaningful role) but I cannot get out of my head the disgraceful attack on the sick and disabled by the Tories. The easy targets whilst the workshy and breeders still continue on their merry way and this is not from no Murdoch newspaper I've seen it with my own eyes, like the fat slob I know of who ten years ago took great delight in telling everyone he wouldn't consider getting out of bed for less than £450pw, still on benefits pissing not only me off.
Do I trust May to deal effectively with the sour Kraut's lackeys? No, mind I worry about the tea maid Corbyn as well in this respect.
All in all I reckon I may just vote Labour because the genuine sick and disabled will be written off by a Tory majority and btw I dislike my local 'overseas more than home MP' more than I do Corbyn!
I'll have to sleep on it.
I forgot to add, my biggest problem with voting Labour is possibly letting that vile, parish council leader, Scottish Haggis anywhere near real power.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Just out of interest; Do you vote for the good of the country or personal gain??

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:45 pm

Are the two things not ultimately inseperable?

Having loads of cash and being surrounded by a sea of poverty is a bit pointless, isn't it?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:07 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:33 pm
Just out of interest; Do you vote for the good of the country or personal gain??
If the country is doing well and reasonably fair it makes a better place to be IMHO, unfortunately there are those on both sides that wish to ruin that illusion, most of them 'takers' in one form or another.
There are few who have been in politics a while that are not tainted and don't get me started on 'career politicians'. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:33 am

Had two phone calls today, mid-day and this evening on behalf of "The Labour Party" and "The Conservative Party". Wife answered them and told both the same thing (politely, of course): "What's the point of going to vote and putting a ballot paper in a sealed secret vote box if I'm going to tell somebody I've never met who I'm voting for over the phone?" Neither had an answer to that.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:02 am

So you would vote for one party based on personal beliefs even if it cost you £10k per year?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:41 am

It depends on my starting point really. I'm not entirely sure anyone is proposing to cost anyone £10k - unless you're probably in a position where it means f*ck all to you.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:19 am

ok £1K a year then, or even £100...?

im fairly confident the majority could sooner keep £100 in their pocket than have someone they dont really like running the country...

but even if i was in a position to lose £10K a year, which im not, i dont see how that is that fair, just because i can afford it?

my mate runs small firm, doing quite well, turnover is good. has a handful of staff, premises, vehicles, stock... he didnt go to university, started up on his own at 21 and has grown, he's working class and works fkin hard!! what with tax hikes, increased minimum wage, extended paid paternity, extra bank holidays etc, he reckons they stand to be down about £50k a year under a Labour government. he's certainly not in a position where it means f*ck all to him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:39 am

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:02 am
So you would vote for one party based on personal beliefs even if it cost you £10k per year?
It's all a sham - and to be honest, I don't see any parties that are going to make anyone (outside the "Labour's going to tax the super rich" thing) £10k a year better or worse off on the average salary of ~£27k.

Our overall income tax revenues have been broadly static vs GDP since the mid-Sixties.
Our indirect tax revenues vs GDP are steadily creeping up again - almost doubled since 1980.

So when you're talking "better off", do you mean income tax, or overall? Are you factoring in your own ability/skills vs the job market and whether you are more or less likely to move jobs for an improved pay packet? Are you factoring in people's ability to hide what they earn from the Tax man? All would make you "better off"

Here's the Conservative supporting Daily Telegraph - showing how you're now paying more Tax than almost any time in 40 years (article 1st May this year)...

What it shows is whilst Income Tax has been broadly static but slightly down and Corporation Tax has halved, that's been more than offset by rises in NI and VAT. So they sneak it in on things - that Mars bar that used to be a foot long and is now less than three inches - that's where you're losing it. Good news is you have a choice on the Mars bar, whereas on Income Tax it's more difficult. That said, if we stopped buying something that attracted significant Tax Revenue (for example Cigarettes) - they'll just introduce a new tax on something to try and keep it broadly static at the top level.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... r-decades/

Give with the left hand, take with the right (or the other way around if you prefer :-) )

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:49 am

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:19 am
ok £1K a year then, or even £100...?

im fairly confident the majority could sooner keep £100 in their pocket than have someone they dont really like running the country...

but even if i was in a position to lose £10K a year, which im not, i dont see how that is that fair, just because i can afford it?

my mate runs small firm, doing quite well, turnover is good. has a handful of staff, premises, vehicles, stock... he didnt go to university, started up on his own at 21 and has grown, he's working class and works fkin hard!! what with tax hikes, increased minimum wage, extended paid paternity, extra bank holidays etc, he reckons they stand to be down about £50k a year under a Labour government. he's certainly not in a position where it means f*ck all to him.
If he's baulking at the minimum wage - and it doesn't increase - guess who's going to be paying for the benefits that top it up. You or him?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 am

Anyone using political party catch phrases in an argument for that party needs to have a word with themselves. You have well and truly fallen for meaningless sound bites. Look at the policies, look at the track record and search your conscience, then vote accordingly.

As for the voting to make yourself worse off debate. I vote for what I think is best for society in general, which is fairly pointless as half the country think you should vote for the most obvious liars with the best catch phrases and what the newspapers tell them. It's fcuking depressing.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:12 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 am
Anyone using political party catch phrases in an argument for that party needs to have a word with themselves. You have well and truly fallen for meaningless sound bites. Look at the policies, look at the track record and search your conscience, then vote accordingly.

As for the voting to make yourself worse off debate. I vote for what I think is best for society in general, which is fairly pointless as half the country think you should vote for the most obvious liars with the best catch phrases and what the newspapers tell them. It's fcuking depressing.
:pray: :pray: :pray:

And on that note and having placed my "X", I shall retire from the politics thread (just like Hoboh promised on the Brexit thread :D )

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:18 am

Interesting report on the NHS spending here, more so for the likes of Worthy :wink:

https://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/publicat ... 017ch5.pdf

According to one graph in there it looks like we should terminate life at about 68 when we start to cost the NHS the average of what we did when born.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:31 am

I reckon by the time I retire, I'll have paid more than enough in tax receipts to cover it. ;-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:31 am
I reckon by the time I retire, I'll have paid more than enough in tax receipts to cover it. ;-)
Ah, but have you deducted the other tax costs for your kids education, defence, EU contributions, foreign aid, general tax pot to support the feckless etc. etc. Your return looks rather weak after taking things into account :wink:

Btw, I meant it was configured right up your street in report form :mrgreen:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:52 am

he's not baulking at min wage but its an issue, im not sure any of his staff are on min wage but id assume some will be on close to £10 an hour. they work hard literally up to their knee's in shit every day and as such make an extra few quid than a shelf stacker. will they get an extra 3 quid an hour?