The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:09 pm
Nuclear fallout is just a bit of pollution :lol:
seem to recollect the Japanese re-building bombed city's and apparently wildlife is thriving around Chernobyl, just saying like.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:15 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
seem to recollect the Japanese re-building bombed city's and apparently wildlife is thriving around Chernobyl, just saying like.
The technology has moved on somewhat. The fact that Seoul would be flattened and potentially millions from either side could be killed doesn't concern you fills me with despair.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Late last year I worked in Visaginas for a week. If only someone had mentioned to the people leaving the place in their droves due to the EU forced closure of the Ignalina nuclear plant that if it had all gone tits-up then wildlife might flourish 30 years on! Bet they'd all feel a bit daft then! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 pm
Late last year I worked in Visaginas for a week. If only someone had mentioned to the people leaving the place in their droves due to the EU forced closure of the Ignalina nuclear plant that if it had all gone tits-up then wildlife might flourish 30 years on! Bet they'd all feel a bit daft then! :?
Hardly made the place any safer have they?
Lithuanian State Nuclear Power Safety Inspectorate (Vatesi) said today it had issued a permit for the start of commercial operation of the country's new interim used fuel storage facility. The announcement followed State Enterprise Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant's (INPP's) successful completion yesterday of hot tests with ten new design casks. The company has demonstrated it is ready to operate the facility safely, Vatesi said.
Lithuania agreed to shut down Ignalina units 1 and 2 as a condition of its accession to the European Union. Unit 1 was shut down in December 2004 and unit 2 in December 2009.
The facility, known as the ISFSF B1 Project, is at the plant site in Visaginas municipality. Used fuel will be stored in specially designed Constor RBMK1500/M2 casks that will each weigh 118 tonnes when fully loaded. It is expected that about 190 containers with 17,000 used fuel rods will be stored in the facility for up to 50 years.
"After Vatesi inspectors reviewed the results of the completed hot test (test with materials used in nuclear fuel cycle), performed inspections and checked other information provided by Ignalina NPP, it was concluded that all the activities related to [used] fuel handling in the Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant units, shipment to the storage facility and storage comply with the approved technical design documentation and final safety analysis report. That was the basis to issue the permit," Vatesi said.
All the used fuel from the Ignalina units is expected to be moved into storage at the facility by the end of 2022.
An operating licence was issued for the new storage facility in September last year. This permitted commissioning of the facility and the start of hot trials with new design casks.
INPP has said the start of 'industrial operation' of the ISFSF would start this October.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Eh? I didn't say they had. You claimed in your prior post that nuclear reactor disasters are ok because wildlife thrives again after 30 years!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:39 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
The technology has moved on somewhat. The fact that Seoul would be flattened and potentially millions from either side could be killed doesn't concern you fills me with despair.
Look, only an idiot would develop their capital and most populace city so close to a war zone (lets not forget the two Koreas are still, technically, in a state of war and have been for the last 50 odd years).
The South has for most of those years relied heavily on the US to guarantee it's continuing existence and now the 'problem' is begining to affect, directly, the US, people are surprised they are getting a touch peed off?
The lefty peaceniks who allowed the current situation to develop are the problem, the very ones moaning their tits off now about potential casualties, blood of anyone who dies if war breaks out will be on their hands.
If the chubster gets away with this, why should Iran and others not chance their arm, after all the Corbynites will just jaw, jaw until it's too late.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:02 pm
Eh? I didn't say they had. You claimed in your prior post that nuclear reactor disasters are ok because wildlife thrives again after 30 years!
No I didn't, some people rabbit on about the whole of China being ravaged by nuclear fallout and it just isn't true and btw I don't mean you. I merely pointed out that large tracts of land uninhabitable for 20,000 years is a load of bollocks.
I was commenting that the EU telling them to shut the reactors down, (bill footed by the EU), has hardly been replaced with something safer.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 pm

So just some dead chinks is fine then?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:15 am

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:12 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:39 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Look, only an idiot would develop their capital and most populace city so close to a war zone (lets not forget the two Koreas are still, technically, in a state of war and have been for the last 50 odd years).
The South has for most of those years relied heavily on the US to guarantee it's continuing existence and now the 'problem' is begining to affect, directly, the US, people are surprised they are getting a touch peed off?
The lefty peaceniks who allowed the current situation to develop are the problem, the very ones moaning their tits off now about potential casualties, blood of anyone who dies if war breaks out will be on their hands.
If the chubster gets away with this, why should Iran and others not chance their arm, after all the Corbynites will just jaw, jaw until it's too late.
So building LA where it is and we'll, most of Japan and London are idiotic then. What's your point? As far as I can see you're not too bothered if a few million johnny foreigners are maimed, killed, displaced. Is this what we can expect when you've taken back control? Fcuk Cumbria, silly place to put it next to a nuclear site :roll:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:51 pm

F*ckin lefty peaceniks. Again.

A good nuclear war would sort them out.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:02 pm

What's the solution though? Do the US allow a dangerous regime to have nuclear weapons or allow a just as dangerous Trump to respond as he sees fit?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Solution to what though?

They've both said lots of cock-measuring shite - you know, the kind of stuff that get's Hoboh all moist at the prospect of a nuclear armageddon - but what's changed?

Most (I think all tbh) nuclear policies are based around deterrent, not unilateral thermonuclear strike. Despite the spunktrumpet-in-chief whipping up the Yank hoboh's, his spokesperson has actually categorically said they are basing their tactics on diplomacy. And the threat/deterrent of nuclear weapons remains just that. As it always has done, and always should.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:34 pm

The US have long trumpeted the notion that North Korea can't have nuclear weapons, and they particularly can't have nuclear weapons that can reach the US. Irrespective of whether it's fair for one nation to increase its own arsenal while telling others they can't, diplomacy has failed in this instance.

Do the US go back on this notion and try to manage things as best as they can, or do they flatten North Korea's arsenal before its fully developed?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:46 pm

As I say, nuclear policy revolves around deterrent.

The US will not initiate first strike on North Korea to simply make sure they don't have nuclear weapons.And they most certainly have not given up on diplomacy. That's patently absurd.

And not least, again, despite some fantastical nonsense being imagined on here, it's on China's doorstep. It's a bit like us giving the nod of approval to the US bombing Calais, because it would only destroy Kent, Sussex and Suffolk. And maybe contaminate London. It's fantasy.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Call off the dogs. Everything's ok. Russia has nominated itself as peace negotiator. :?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:11 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:46 pm
As I say, nuclear policy revolves around deterrent.

The US will not initiate first strike on North Korea to simply make sure they don't have nuclear weapons.And they most certainly have not given up on diplomacy. That's patently absurd.

And not least, again, despite some fantastical nonsense being imagined on here, it's on China's doorstep. It's a bit like us giving the nod of approval to the US bombing Calais, because it would only destroy Kent, Sussex and Suffolk. And maybe contaminate London. It's fantasy.
Who says it will be a nuclear strike? Certainly the US wouldn't initiate one, it may bomb a few facilities and bases alongside targeting artillery.
Fat boy will more than likely be the first to throw WMD's, he's threatened often enough to do so.
BTW the Chinese have said if the shooting starts and lard arse starts it, they will stay out, missiles heading in the direction of a US base is an act of war.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:44 am

Chinese state media have reported that the Chinese President urged spunktrumpet to tone down the rhetoric.

So maybe you're making that up?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:44 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:44 am
Chinese state media have reported that the Chinese President urged spunktrumpet to tone down the rhetoric.

So maybe you're making that up?
okay I'm making it up then :roll:
State-run Chinese newspaper the Global Daily recently wrote an editorial stating that China would only intervene in the conflict, to stop America if they attacked North Korea first. If Pyongyang attacked they would stay neutral, they wrote.
Look I'm starting to (by trawling the net), pick up whispers and murmurs that the Chinese and Russians really would not object to the US doing something about NK and picking up all the flack whilst they maintain the high moral ground, with his nukes and missiles he is becoming a very dangerous potential problem for them.

Not saying it's true nor am I a lover of conspiracy theory but it is plausible.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:07 am

You're quoting Chinese state media? Incredible.

And by "picking up whispers" do you mean "saw that Russia and China didn't oppose UN sanctions?

You're a fantasist.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:07 am
You're quoting Chinese state media? Incredible.

And by "picking up whispers" do you mean "saw that Russia and China didn't oppose UN sanctions?

You're a fantasist.
It's all a bit James Bond, innit?