The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Enoch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:30 pm

There really should be a shaking the head emoji.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:52 pm

jimbo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:10 pm
I mean it was decided 11-0.

11 experienced judges have all independently come to the same conclusion. Without being party to all the evidence submitted, I’m happy to go with that as a fairly robust decision.
Well as seems to be the norm these days, i demand a second sitting :D

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:13 pm
jimbo wrote:

11 experienced judges have all independently come to the same conclusion. Without being party to all the evidence submitted, I’m happy to go with that as a fairly robust decision.
Great. Good for you. Colours nailed. The establishment establishes itself ever more fervently, "We're just following Democracy, guv"...

I may be misunderstanding you - but if this court case was "establishment" judges establishing themselves more fervently, then they have only done so by deciding against a different "establishment" figure in the person of Johnson. Let's not get overexcited and imagine Johnson is some kind of people's anti-establishment hero! 😎

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:39 pm

jimbo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:29 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:22 pm
jimbo wrote:

One of the things which pleases me greatly about it being an unequivocal 11-0 is that neither Johnson nor his acolytes get to turn round and claim that even our cleverest legal clogs couldn't agree on it.
Exactly. It carries so much weight it really can’t be questioned. I’ve already heard some Tory Mps pushing a people Vs the courts agenda which is deeply worrying and irresponsible.

Ha, How silly of us to think that that might be the end of it?!

PM was advised by attorney general suspension was 'lawful'
Boris Johnson was told "any accusations of unlawfulness or constitutional outrage were motivated by political considerations".
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Prime Minister, Government, Attorney General, Supreme Court, Parliament, Members of, House of Lords, House of Commons, Tories, Labour, Liberal Democrats, Right, Left and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, oh, and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all!. What an absolute farce it all is...:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:04 pm
Prime Minister, Government, Attorney General, Supreme Court, Parliament, Members of, House of Lords, House of Commons, Tories, Labour, Liberal Democrats, Right, Left and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, oh, and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all!.
We didn’t start the fire?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:27 pm

jimbo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:22 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Prime Minister, Government, Attorney General, Supreme Court, Parliament, Members of, House of Lords, House of Commons, Tories, Labour, Liberal Democrats, Right, Left and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, oh, and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all!.
We..?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:27 pm
jimbo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
We..?
Yeah. Thought you’d written a new verse.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:39 pm

jimbo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:33 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:27 pm
jimbo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
We..?
Yeah. Thought you’d written a new verse.
:mrgreen:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:09 pm

Call me Dave had the matches :mrgreen:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:39 am

"Surrender Act"

How jolly offensive!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:24 am

Enoch wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:39 am
"Surrender Act"

How jolly offensive!
It’s more language though that plays into the image that is constantly being portrayed that leaving the EU is war-like. We’ve had it all along from people on both sides, but now the PM is leading the calls. There’s clearly some numb nuts out there who will buy into all this rhetoric and think that he has to act. If you spend all the time labelling one side as surrenderers or traitors, or the other as fascists or dictators then don’t be surprised when the public believe it. We’ve had hard line Leavers using similar hostile language towards the EU as well as though they think they’re in some little war.

It’s time everyone does take a step back. The way out of this mess is eventually finding some sort of unity and healing the divide in the country and Johnson up until this point has seemingly tried to do the exact opposite. Get his Brexit but cause absolute chaos in the process. Not sure how easy it will be to pull the pieces back together afterwards.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:00 am

Type community charge into your preferred search engine and you'll get a full page of references to poll tax. You won't find a single mention of Richard II,William Walworth, John Ball et al. Nor for that matter the Local Government Finance Act 1988.

Poll tax, surrender bill, all of a piece.

It's the faux outrage that gets my goat.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 am

Personally, I don't think it's faux outrage to talk of the death threats you have received (or we find out this morning in Jo Swinson's case the threats made against your children) as you stand under the plaque commemorating the assassination of one of your colleagues.

A new low from Johnson yet again.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 am

I turned off from it all last night. However, I've just read that Johnson said "The best way to honour Jo Cox is to get Brexit done".

Please tell me that he didn't actually say that?!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:13 pm

"In a letter to the complainant, the BBC added that "audiences should not be able to tell" the opinions of its journalists on matters of public policy."

:lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 am
Personally, I don't think it's faux outrage to talk of the death threats you have received (or we find out this morning in Jo Swinson's case the threats made against your children) as you stand under the plaque commemorating the assassination of one of your colleagues.

Whilst making no further comment and well aware of your dislike of him, that's just guilding the lily more than a little. I doubt very much Boris was aware of that fact or where he was standing at all..

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:44 pm

He wasn't. She was. And he did know she was. Because she said she was.

His response was to call her speech "humbug".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:59 pm

Death threats are a police matter and rightly so.

The PM did make me feel uneasy with his off the cuff answers to a couple of the questions.

I don't know about anyone else but I feel a great deal of unease with the way a handful of MP's are so quick to keep dragging Jo Cox into the public arena, if I was a family member I think I'd be pretty peed off about this, last night for me was really trying to politically point score against the PM.
One should not lose track of who actually brought this about, a certain MP who heaps scorn and vitriol on anyone who does not have HER view point, note the emphasis on her view point and reading her twitter account labels them all extremists.

The language and general baying and behaviour in the house is a disgrace and the speaker should play a large part in stopping it instead of making quips about the constant bellowing offenders, kick them out. Also the constant repetitive questions need stopping, 2 or 3 times fair enough but all night long?

The inflammatory language is not a recent thing nor limited to the current PM or government, much more sinister and dangerous in my opinion are those in responsible positions who call for and support civil unrest.
Enough said about that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:57 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:13 pm
"In a letter to the complainant, the BBC added that "audiences should not be able to tell" the opinions of its journalists on matters of public policy."

:lol:
This apparently extends to an "opinion" that "racism is bad".