The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 07, 2022 10:37 pm

Elections...pah! Time for a good rant. :twisted:

Government equals wealth and power Every entity that's ever been has met its end due to splintering. A man comes to power (usually over history for no other reason that he was bigger, stronger, richer than his neighbour) and, for a time all is well. He marries, has sons, maybe re-marries and when he dies the "fun" begins (began). So,back to the future; The right of succession has done away with the "I'm Spartacus" fight for power of old, but only in sovereignty (in civilised countries) because below the monarchy Punch and Judy show is the elected government, minions to the robber barons in business suits who drive around in Bentleys where once horses would suffice. . .

Royalty are figure-heads and tourist attractions.The modern versions of good King John send forth their tax gatherers and the rich get richer at the expense of the poor...We have a good person in our own Queen, but when was the last time royalty of any country made a decision other than how many trips and tours they are having ? Anyway, back to Boris the Unready who burns the cakes for a hobby and stocks them away as weapons of mass destruction. Not that he's any worse than all the rest of the tenants of Number Ten. Now the splintering is back in fashion when even the hamlets can't pick a team that everybody can get behind. What next then, Our street One versus all the rest of the contenders? Common sense and community may prevail, but not in the too near future if this religious census is any guide. This from the council census. quote..:

BOLTON has 698 Jedi Knights, eight Heathens, 181 Pagans and 92 people who put their religion as Heavy Metal. The town’s diverse faith was revealed in the 2011 census results, which also showed Bolton is more religious than the rest of England.
The England and Wales census asked the same voluntary religion question in 2011 as was asked
in 2001. The question (‘what is your religion?’) asks about religious affiliation, meaning how
people connect or identify with a religion.
Christians are the largest religious group in Bolton with 173,600 people identifying as Christian,
making up 63% of the population. The second largest was Muslim, with 32,400 people or 12% of
the population. Hindus made up 2% of the population and there were relatively small numbers
of Buddhists, Jews, Sikhs and ‘Other’ religions.
The Census 2011 also for the first time provided details of the write-in answers to the ‘other
religion’ and ‘no religion’ sections. In Bolton the most common of the ‘other religions’ were
Spiritualists and Pagans. ‘No religion’ included write-in answers such as
atheist/agnostic/humanist, as well as other types of answers such as ‘heavy metal’ or ‘Jedi’.
The most significant change from the 2001-11 Census was in the number of people who stated
they had no religion which has almost doubled from 9%-17%, an increase of around 25,000
people. Equally the number of people identifying as Christian decreased by almost the same
amount. Conversely there was an increase in all other major religions.

But then again, religion isn't the real villain, never has been. Greed, wealth and power are where it's at. Ask any Jedi Knight. . Think I'll maybe give it a miss. Rant over, as you were.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 09, 2022 11:01 am

Farnworth and Kearsley both featured in the recent Times article entitled ''Up-and-coming urban hotspots where house prices are set to soar'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 09, 2022 11:39 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:01 am
Farnworth and Kearsley both featured in the recent Times article entitled ''Up-and-coming urban hotspots where house prices are set to soar'.
Well, the Khans are "Big in Bolton" Bruce, must be that. :lol: As an aside, I've lived quite happily in Farnworth for forty years. My daughter and married grandkids both live in Kearsley. It's like France, great but for the French..

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 09, 2022 12:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:39 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:01 am
Well, the Khans are "Big in Bolton" Bruce, must be that. :lol: As an aside, I've lived quite happily in Farnworth for forty years. My daughter and married grandkids both live in Kearsley. It's like France, great but for the French..
Kearsley has Wilson's pies of course, Tango. If finer exist then I'm yet to taste them. ;)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 13, 2022 9:11 am

Well, where to start (again) with these supercvnts in charge of our country..

Another 50 fines imposed for breaches of lockdown rules, that they imposed on us.
A New York times report (with evidence) of Conservative Part receiving £600,000 of illegal donations from Russia in the run up to the elections. No such stories on UK news programmes
Johnson firstly banning the Security report re: meetings with Lebedev and secondly, him being allowed to do so
Conservative MP, bemoaning the fact that people are too stupid and lazy to be able to feed a family of 4 on 30p (£0.30!!)
The opening of a new foodbank, with full mayorage regalia and ribbon cutting ceremony. A fvckin foodbank!
Johnson forgoing any opportunity of a trade deal with EU and USA, in order to bow to the DUP who he relies on to potentially stay in power, on the N.I protocol
The amended policing bill, where our future king proudly proclaimed that we would now be able to ban nuisance protests
Said king telling us, on behalf of his posh tw@t mates on Downing street that there's nothing we can do about the cost of living crisis, whilst wearing a £70,000 suit, with millions of pounds of precious metal and jewellery hanging off him, whilst a £2.5m Rolls Royce drives his fvcking Hat around London

I absolutely despair

Guy Fawkes had it right all along.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 13, 2022 9:41 am

Hear, hear.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 13, 2022 11:27 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:11 am

Said king telling us, on behalf of his posh tw@t mates on Downing street that there's nothing we can do about the cost of living crisis, whilst wearing a £70,000 suit, with millions of pounds of precious metal and jewellery hanging off him, whilst a £2.5m Rolls Royce drives his fvcking Hat around London .I absolutely despair

Guy Fawkes had it right all along.
I got in touch with the Royal Tailor for a suit for my son's wedding, but he was too busy, so I tried Marks and Spencers and finally got one from Burtons. Serve him right. He cold have been famous. :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 14, 2022 11:42 am

Not to mention the fact that once again the Tories have wrecked the economy whilst racking up huge public spending…siphoned off to their mates for no public gain.

Conservatism fails the economy every single time. It is a statistical fact. They spend more and the economy grows less.

We desperately need some new ideas,..anyone, anyone?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 29, 2022 11:35 am

I still convert Kg and g to pounds and ounces, but bring them back? Really?

Oh and remembering all the commentary about how people were "ripped off" when we moved from imperial to decimal anyone explain why it won't happen when reversing it?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun May 29, 2022 12:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:35 am

Oh and remembering all the commentary about how people were "ripped off" when we moved from imperial to decimal anyone explain why it won't happen when reversing it?
Not to mention Epos systems are largely setup for metric these days, so the cost of changing that will be fun on top of all the fuel levies, surcharges etc etc we're somehow having to absorb at the moment :roll:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 29, 2022 12:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

They aren’t bringing them back. They are allowing shops to display imperial alongside metric measures…something they can already do.

So I’m not for one minute suggesting that it’s another non announcement designed to distract from just about everything else…no sir…couldn’t be.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 29, 2022 1:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

They aren’t bringing them back. They are allowing shops to display imperial alongside metric measures…something they can already do.

So I’m not for one minute suggesting that it’s another non announcement designed to distract from just about everything else…no sir…couldn’t be.
Even more pointless. I mean you'd have had to have been say 8/9 years old when metric was introduced in 1971 to really understand Lbs/Oz...so who's it going to help? Anyone who was educated in that system is pushing 60...

I'm awaiting the announcement that the GBP can have a base denomination of 240p in the pound so we can get back to proper pennies and reintroduce the tanner.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 29, 2022 2:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 1:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Even more pointless. I mean you'd have had to have been say 8/9 years old when metric was introduced in 1971 to really understand Lbs/Oz...so who's it going to help? Anyone who was educated in that system is pushing 60...

I'm awaiting the announcement that the GBP can have a base denomination of 240p in the pound so we can get back to proper pennies and reintroduce the tanner.
It’s not designed to help anyone. It’s not even a new thing. It’s not something that many if any shops will do anything about. It’s just another in a long list of dead cats. I guess it also plays into their increasingly small demographic of voters. Those who voted for Brexit cos they really haven’t moved on from 1957 emotionally, spiritually or in some cases physically.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 29, 2022 4:56 pm

I was born in 66 so was brought up to understand both imperial and metric measurements, but not how to convert one to the other.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 29, 2022 5:44 pm

Can anybody change me two threepenny Joes for a tanner? :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 29, 2022 5:46 pm

So Bruce, when you buy a length of wood, for example, are you thinking you need "maybe a metre" or "about three feet and a bit?"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 29, 2022 6:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:46 pm
So Bruce, when you buy a length of wood, for example, are you thinking you need "maybe a metre" or "about three feet and a bit?"
We have a weird thing with this don’t we. I’m fully metric. In for a medical a while ago and asked how tall are you in centimetres? I know my height in feet and inches. But not cm. And if I had to measure up anything else I’d work in metres and cm. So yeah. Very odd.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 29, 2022 8:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:45 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:46 pm
We have a weird thing with this don’t we. I’m fully metric. In for a medical a while ago and asked how tall are you in centimetres? I know my height in feet and inches. But not cm. And if I had to measure up anything else I’d work in metres and cm. So yeah. Very odd.
Yep, absolutely. At work, everything's metric, except for when I'm dealing with the US or Ireland (who actually manage to concoct a hybrid along the lines 6"+17mm. Seriously)
I know my weight in both, but my height only in feet and inches. I'm conversant with distances in KM but only because I work away quite a lot, which again is a little strange because when I'm home I only work in miles.

Now then, I'm pretty sure that I've never used any unit of measure in a grocer's/butcher's retail environment when asking for something generally priced on weight. Instead I'll ask for six bananas, a fiver's worth of mince, that kind of thing (pints of ale not withstanding).

I hung a couple of pictures at home last week so to find the centre points I measured in millimetres, but would have been perfectly comfortable had I measured in feet and inches.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 29, 2022 9:21 pm

So if I asked what's the distance between floor and ceiling would you say "about 2 and a half meters" or 'about 8 ft"...Do you think in metric or imperial? I'd probably say about 8 ft and convert in my nogging in case yoof asked "what's that in meters"...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun May 29, 2022 9:27 pm

During lockdown when we did phone/email orders, folk would ask "for some mushrooms" or "chicken"...and my favourite "some fruit & veg". We were so busy they got what they were given and no fecker dared complain to me about what they got :lol: