The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:56 pm

Lol - delighted Boris attack dog has admitted that government pandemic preparations were found wanting and wholly inadequate for 6 years....Fairly sure that'll come back to bite....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:56 pm
Lol - delighted Boris attack dog has admitted that government pandemic preparations were found wanting and wholly inadequate for 6 years....Fairly sure that'll come back to bite....
She’s probably too stupid to know that her own government ripped up the pandemic planning that Blair and Cameron’s regimes had in place…you know stuff that was based on what happens in SE Asia….

Actually take the probably out. She is too stupid. Or blind. Or both.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:08 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
She’s probably too stupid to know that her own government ripped up the pandemic planning that Blair and Cameron’s regimes had in place…you know stuff that was based on what happens in SE Asia….

My S-i-L, who holds a fairly senior NHS position, had been saying for the two or three years before Covid arrived that we were due a pandemic for which we were woefully underprepared.

It'd be interesting to read what Blair and Cameron had planned, and as to why it was discarded.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:08 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

My S-i-L, who holds a fairly senior NHS position, had been saying for the two or three years before Covid arrived that we were due a pandemic for which we were woefully underprepared.

It'd be interesting to read what Blair and Cameron had planned, and as to why it was discarded.
There has been a series of pandemic plans established under Blair, Brown and Cameron to deal with what was felt likely to be the emerging threats of pandemics following sars and swine flu. The modelling was done on influenza of course which is different in some regard to covid but much of the principles are the same.

A pandemic committee was the lynchpin of this to ensure it was linked into government. With the idea being that the response was cascaded down through local public health structures.

The committee as I understand it and as reported was disbanded by Johnson 6 months before the pandemic because he wanted, and I quote ‘the focus to be on Brexit.’.

If you don’t laugh you cry. The other factor being Tories gradual assault on experienced local public health teams and the resultant mess we ended up in trying to do what the likes of S Korea do locally with a national private contract that wasted billions and produced the square root of nothing. If you dismantle public health and strip it away you will be inadequately prepared. If you then remove the structures on which you rely on for reporting back to government then even more so.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:51 pm

Interesting observation from Nick Robinson - Rules state that
@BorisJohnson
remains leader & is safe for a year if there are fewer than 180 votes against him tonight. History shows that PMs who "win" still end up losing - Thatcher resigned 8 days after winning, May within 6 months & Major lost to Blair in a landslide ...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:51 pm
Interesting observation from Nick Robinson - Rules state that
@BorisJohnson
remains leader & is safe for a year if there are fewer than 180 votes against him tonight. History shows that PMs who "win" still end up losing - Thatcher resigned 8 days after winning, May within 6 months & Major lost to Blair in a landslide ...
Indeed. It’s pretty hard to continue if you have 100 votes against you, given 160 have paid government positions that means there are only in theory 200 MPs who you aren’t paying….so if half of those vote against you it’s well, the end of the beginning at the very least. For most. But I don’t think it’s so easy to see how Johnson goes because I can’t find a face saving way for it to happen and I suspect an alimighty blood bath if he is pushed.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:07 pm

The man(woman) who would be king ( P.M.) eh? . In the end, Parliament always make the rules. "Judges are appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister, who receives recommendations from a selection commission." ha. The Magna Carta was written against the King (John), not for him.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:03 pm

Not very convincing....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:03 pm
Not very convincing....
A dreadful result for Johnson. Dead man walking. Or he sinks the Tory party for a generation. That’s almost half his MPs don’t have confidence. That’s worse by a distance than May’s result and we know what happened to her.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:37 pm

I haven't done the numbers but we're abstentions allowed?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:37 pm
You can abstain. But nobody did.

It’s a secret ballot so not much point in abstaining.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:50 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I just find it a little strange that not a one of them felt in any way unsure. Each of them took what is ultimately a polemic stance one way or t'other.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:50 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I just find it a little strange that not a one of them felt in any way unsure. Each of them took what is ultimately a polemic stance one way or t'other.
But the only reason we have abstentions is because politicians don’t want to be seen voting against their own party in public. So they abstain to save embarrassment. I don’t think it’s really because they aren’t sure.

And I’m pretty sure many of the 211 who voted for him didn’t do so for any reason other than they had to in order to keep their job.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:17 pm

Aye, sounds fair enough.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am

I see the Chief pisscan went ON RECORD with a list of all the donors who have "demanded" that Boris stays in power or they'll cut their funding to MP's... She actually thought this was some kind of rousing speech, that this dozen or so elites are more important than the public

Well, I suppose to them, they are..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:30 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am
I see the Chief pisscan went ON RECORD with a list of all the donors who have "demanded" that Boris stays in power or they'll cut their funding to MP's... She actually thought this was some kind of rousing speech, that this dozen or so elites are more important than the public

Well, I suppose to them, they are..
I thought it was great she admitted they won the election only because of their donors £18M contribution to the party. They aren’t even pretending anymore that it’s about the country. It’s very much about the Tory party and nothing else matters. What’s more sinister is they’ve tried on a number of occasions to suggest the Tory party success is the same as the country’s success. More than a hint of 1930’s Germany in there.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:40 am

They have turned into a George Orwell novel

Ignore what you have heard them say, ignore what is written before your eyes. It will all be denied. It will be twisted

When May won her VONC with a much bigger margin than 'him', it was declared a defeat for her. Last night, they all proclaimed it as a victory for the leader.

I just hope they all get trapped in a lift together and run out of oxygen

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:06 am

Partying on an industrial scale is a shit line. But this government lie on a scale that you can’t even say is industrial. I’ve never ever ever known a government to shamelessly and brazenly lie on a daily basis. Spin sure. Twist the truth sure. But this brazen and knowing lying is straight out of the Trump playbook. Gaslight the electorate. We know you know we are lying but if we say it enough and lie enough what are you going to do? The fact that so many in the Tory party have been prepared to do this for so long somewhat shocks me. For all their faults they normally at the very least would show some sort of dignity in the face of debauchery. But I fear like Trump the party is stained and corrupted and until they actually kick him and his acolytes out they won’t be able to move forward.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:07 am

I am awaiting some dead cats to hit a table near you, shortly. Deflect, bluster and lie.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:02 am

Another thing that is concerning me and pissing me right off, is the fact that he and his supporters are being given the opportunity to trivialise this whole thing.. "Slice of Cake / Bit of Karaoke / Couple of leaving drinks"

This Partygate stuff is just a small (but still significant) part of why he should be gone.

The blatant lies and manipulation, the missing money, the blatant corruption, the VIP lanes, the Test & Trace debacle, moving Covid patients into Care homes - That's actual murder!

The list is feckin endless and yet the only shite sticking to him is that he was attending parties. Is it a deliberate ploy to get everything else overlooked?
Last edited by boltonboris on Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.