The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:36 pm

Well as indictments go, Jack Smith's seems to have the bases covered...It's gonna be a bumpy ride...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:25 pm

Gonna get some popcorn and watch FOXNews tonight
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:31 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:25 pm
Gonna get some popcorn and watch FOXNews tonight
Still intent on blagging everyone and throwing up non-comparisons like Bill Clinton's socks...Still we might see more of MTGs dick pics.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:36 pm
Well as indictments go, Jack Smith's seems to have the bases covered...It's gonna be a bumpy ride...
Though the experts say it has very little chance.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:39 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Guess it depends which "experts" you listen to, they were pretty upbeat on plenty of channels yesterday..Guess it might come down to trying to flip a couple of the co-defemdants. I mean it was pretty obvious to most folks that aren't in Q/MAGA...and no shortage of evidence...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:39 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Guess it depends which "experts" you listen to, they were pretty upbeat on plenty of channels yesterday..Guess it might come down to trying to flip a couple of the co-defemdants. I mean it was pretty obvious to most folks that aren't in Q/MAGA...and no shortage of evidence...
The documents case on obstruction is pretty clearcut. The delays are because of the confidential nature of some of the evidence. The election fraud is more difficult as he was sitting president for much of it, and therefore has some immunity. Most "neutral" legal experts seem to think some of the case is strong and not covered by presidential immunity. Trump's lawyers are making it about freedom of speech but Smith has wisely not charged him with anything he said. The strongest part of the case is said to be pressuring Mike Pence to violate the constitution. However, I think the conspiracy to introduce fake electors may give Trump problems. He also told Powell to go ahead with the Hugo Chavez rubbish even though he thought it was "crazy". Basically Trump is free to speak and even lie with impunity. However, he cannot conspire to defraud the American public of their right to have their votes counted. It will be interesting if I live that long!.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:51 pm

All gone quiet this Trump stuff, which is not really surprising. What's the latest over there MW?

Over here, we've got our government putting migrants on a giant barge at an expense greater than it would have cost to put them all on an all-inclusive year long Round-the-World trip on a luxury cruise ship and they've all got feckin Legionnaires disease! All the while our Tory MP's are telling us is that all we have to do, is for the people of the United Kingdom to accept a complete removal of our human rights and we can put them all back on it and torpedo the bleeding thing

What a shithole we're living in
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:47 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:51 pm
All gone quiet this Trump stuff, which is not really surprising. What's the latest over there MW?

Over here, we've got our government putting migrants on a giant barge at an expense greater than it would have cost to put them all on an all-inclusive year long Round-the-World trip on a luxury cruise ship and they've all got feckin Legionnaires disease! All the while our Tory MP's are telling us is that all we have to do, is for the people of the United Kingdom to accept a complete removal of our human rights and we can put them all back on it and torpedo the bleeding thing

What a shithole we're living in
Pretty lively on Trump stuff atm. He and 19 others just got charged with racketeering in Georgia. Minimum mandatory sentence of 5 years, max of 20. If it stays in state court he cannot be pardonned so he wants it to go to federal court. He is also fuming about the judge in the DC case which may cost him dearly. His faithful are remaining faithful but some Republican congressmen have gone strangely silent. Four indictments in four different jurisdiction plus the civil case. News is evenly divided between him and Hawaii. Apparently nothing else is happening in the world.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:21 pm

Not at all quiet, but it's all over. Trump is producing an IRREFUTABLE and CONCLUSIVE report on Monday, to show he was right all along. Move over sleepy Joe. He's used capitals, which is always a sign of something being true and it's probably been written by Mike Lindell.

Wonder if they'll flip a few co-conspirators on the Georgia indictment...I

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:21 pm
Not at all quiet, but it's all over. Trump is producing an IRREFUTABLE and CONCLUSIVE report on Monday, to show he was right all along. Move over sleepy Joe. He's used capitals, which is always a sign of something being true and it's probably been written by Mike Lindell.

Sorry, Worthy, he changed his mind about publishing it. Quel surpris.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:54 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:27 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Well of course. Just saying "hear my truth" is all he typically needs...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:29 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:54 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:27 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Well of course. Just saying "hear my truth" is all he typically needs...
Looks like some of the smaller fry are likely to flip, already seeking separation of defence. The only big cheese likely to flip is Mark Meadows - he is strongly suspected of having already flipped in the Jan 6 case. Also the IT guy in Florida has already flipped, suddenly remembering he was asked to delete the security tapes.Things are heating up.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:24 am

There are some things about Trump that speak echoes of a male Margaret Thatcher; you cant agree with them, but you have to admire their guts. What we have today doesn't inspire much fight.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:45 am

Guts? He avoided the draft for Vietnam and has had to pay out wonga for being "a bit rapey," and they're looking to get him for insurrection (which is often about getting others to fight for you)

So no, I'm not admiring his guts nor that evil witch you're comparing him with.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:59 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:45 am
Guts? He avoided the draft for Vietnam and has had to pay out wonga for being "a bit rapey," and they're looking to get him for insurrection (which is often about getting others to fight for you)

^

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:59 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:45 am

Okay, although I was talking attitude rather than politics, but fair enough.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:24 am
There are some things about Trump that speak echoes of a male Margaret Thatcher; you cant agree with them, but you have to admire their guts. What we have today doesn't inspire much fight.
You see some bad takes on the internet sometimes. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one as bad as this. Lord above. Hitler also had a lot of ‘guts’ by that measure and Trump like Hitler tried to override democracy by force. Should we admire Trump’s guts just like Hitlers?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:58 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
You see some bad takes on the internet sometimes. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one as bad as this. Lord above. Hitler also had a lot of ‘guts’ by that measure and Trump like Hitler tried to override democracy by force. Should we admire Trump’s guts just like Hitlers?
Get down from your pulpit and try reading what I say, rather than just your take on it. I see you left out the bit about not agreeing with them, or comparison with our own current brave current politicians. . Typical.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:14 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:58 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Get down from your pulpit and try reading what I say, rather than just your take on it. I see you left out the bit about not agreeing with them, or comparison with our own current brave current politicians. . Typical.
The point stands. What exactly are you admiring about a man who has continually tried to defy democracy and has a string of criminal cases against him?

He’s got guts? Guts to fight against democracy is that really what you are saying?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:31 am

One person's "breath of fresh air" is another person's "threat to democracy".

From my point of view, I couldn't care less about most of the policies, couldn't care less about who is at the top, it's the undermining of institutions and dismantling of democracy that I find troubling.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.