The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:28 pm

I can't wait for this Labour government to feck off.

First we get Blair thinking he can do away with 1000 years of history and abolish the position of Lord Chancellor just by saying that's what he fancied doing in press conference. (I would love to have been a fly on the wall when someone said to him "Er, Tony, you're probably going to need an act of Parliament for something like that...."

Then we have this expensive waste of time in creating a so-called 'Supreme Court' (it is nothing of the sort), in a response to an entirely imagined separation of powers 'problem'.

Now we have Brown thinking that the Monarchy can somehow be submitted to equal opportunities principles. :crazy:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/p ... tr=6848714
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:36 pm

It's all in the Lenin handbook of grabbing and keeping power. You should read it sometime, El Gordo has.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Yeah - on the bright side, concepts such as poll tax riots should come back to the fore - can't wait.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Yeah - on the bright side, concepts such as poll tax riots should come back to the fore - can't wait.
Nah. We've gone soft. Otherwise there would have been riots about the level council tax has reached.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Don't worry, according to Cameron's address at the CBI, they're doing away with red tape, so no more poll tax riots, as they want "small government". Which means no responsibility. I wonder if he wants a commensurate "small pay packet".
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Don't worry, according to Cameron's address at the CBI, they're doing away with red tape, so no more poll tax riots, as they want "small government". Which means no responsibility. I wonder if he wants a commensurate "small pay packet".
doing away with red tape?? that sounds a bit draconian - whatever next - ban blu-tac??

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:23 pm

thebish wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Don't worry, according to Cameron's address at the CBI, they're doing away with red tape, so no more poll tax riots, as they want "small government". Which means no responsibility. I wonder if he wants a commensurate "small pay packet".
doing away with red tape?? that sounds a bit draconian - whatever next - ban blu-tac??
As long as they don't start messing around with gaffer tape. The bastards.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:41 pm

Does your gaffer let you use his tape then? Mine won't, bastard. :twisted:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:49 pm

InsaneApache wrote:Does your gaffer let you use his tape then? Mine won't, bastard. :twisted:
What tapes does your gaffer have?

Mine has a recording of Hawkwind from the Rainbow Theatre, back in 1975.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:51 pm

8 track. :oops:

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:55 pm

InsaneApache wrote:8 track. :oops:
Why the embarrassment?

They made a satisfying click when you pressed play -you don't get that sort of click anymore....

[EDIT]

Or so my parents tell me - I obviously don't remember them....
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Puskas wrote:
InsaneApache wrote:Does your gaffer let you use his tape then? Mine won't, bastard. :twisted:

Missed that one, but caught 'em 2 years later...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:53 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Puskas wrote:

The Rainbow has been a Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall for years, now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:59 am

Gary The Beaver wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Puskas wrote:

The Rainbow has been a Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall for years, now.
About time for Hawkwind to play there again then, methinks.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:59 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Yeah - on the bright side, concepts such as poll tax riots should come back to the fore - can't wait.
Nah. We've gone soft. Otherwise there would have been riots about the level council tax has reached.
And the rest, utility bills are a joke, fuel, public transport (how the f**k they can charge over a fiver for a Bolton-Manchester rtn is beyond me), and they've bumped up NI contributions.

I'm working class and Labour were supposed to represent 'us' in years gone by, now I'll be glad if they never get near the government again.
Troll and proud of it.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:08 pm

as wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:
And the rest, utility bills are a joke, fuel, public transport (how the f**k they can charge over a fiver for a Bolton-Manchester rtn is beyond me), and they've bumped up NI contributions.

I'm working class and Labour were supposed to represent 'us' in years gone by, now I'll be glad if they never get near the government again.
You could just get the day saver for about 4quid.

London is terrible though. A day pass for zones 1 and 2 = £7.20. Each. :O
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:07 pm

as wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:

If you're referring to trains, you'll find that:

A The Tories pushed through that little pearl of legislation.
B) They are now more heavily subsidised than they were whilst they were being run down for a cheap sale. Hence the private company fleecing you because they were sold a lemon.

Happy to help.

And I haven't voted Labour since 1997, but I'm thinking about it this time simply because of the potential lunatics that could replace them.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:05 am

I've never voted Labour and doubt I ever would, but I'm way off being convinced by Dave Snooty and his pals.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:55 am

Its bad really, isn't it. I'll be going to the polling booth with a heavy heart next year, as I won't be voting for something I want. The only way I can see a faint glimmer of hope on the horizon is in a hung parliament. Theres enough decent guys in there, like Clegg, Cable, Clarke, Hague...but then I realised we'd have to suffer the double ignominy of Peter "soul for sale to the highest bidder" Manelson and Tweedle Dee/Tweedle Dumb (Cameron/Osbourne) in the same cabinet.

Whoever wins the next election, theres only one sure-fire loser, and that will be the majority of the British Public.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:45 am

Anybody think a minor party might get a chance?

I know what you mean about the tories, I just couldn't vote for them - I can't see any difference between Labour & Conservative, to be honest. You've got Mandleson, Keith Vaz and god knows how many other bent/corrupt/untrustworthy nobbers being handed job after job for simply lining their own pockets.

If they weren't such a set of bedwetters, I'd probably go Green :oops:
Troll and proud of it.