The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 04, 2010 7:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Watching the Election results would be like watching Rocky XXV

You know the winner before the opening credits roll
OK Caps - what will the result be then? (so you can save us all from staying up)

overall Tory majority
hung parliament with labour in second (in terms of seats)
hung parliament with labour in third (in terms of seats)
summat else

(maybe you're SirNuts supernatural Brian?)
Not sure why you chuck in 'in terms of seats' seeing as it's the only measure thats important

Makes me smile a touch that many of those wanting reform would no doubt want to chuck in a rider that the BNP aren't allowed MPs

As for the result

1 Tories with overall majority
2 Labour
3 One of the minor parties, SDP, UKIP, BNP, PC...who cares
You don't think Lib Dems will be in the top three?
apparently it's a certain as the outcome of Rocky XXV...

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue May 04, 2010 7:42 pm

I'm up for a good part of the night, with a little party round our place...

C4 till the results start coming in if Carr is in bearable mode... then dimbleby land until it's clear or definitively not clear... I have only one good friend who is a tory voter/telegraph reader (obvioulsy I'm blessed by knowing many more) but friendship suspended for thurs night/fri morn - he ain't invited... just hope he has someone to share his tears if necessary... i know i have a dozen to share mine... :wink:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 pm

SDP, Lib Dems, Whigs

Call 'em what you will, they're never going to do better than 3rd in a 2 horse race
Sto ut Serviam

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 04, 2010 8:08 pm

I must say I'm fairly ignorant on the whole PR argument, all I know is on a basic level it means a vote for a smaller party carries much more worth, but what happens to the idea of an MP and his/her constituency?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue May 04, 2010 8:12 pm

thebish wrote: I quite like the look of Channel 4's offering as a warm up - with Jimmy Carr, Charlie Brooker and David Mitchell. Not that fussed about Carr - but the other two can be very amusing...

then it'll be the good old Beeb until the moment cameron is declared victor at which point I will down a large glass of scotch and go to bed for five years...
I'll probably watch that too. Could be quite entertaining as valve on the 'balanced coverage' pressure cooker of the last four weeks is finally flipped as soon as the polls close. I'm half expecting them to get Sanjeev Bhaskar and his missus on to do a skit as 'The Soods at Number 10' after today's ramblings from the Labour candidate for Norfolk North.

I opted for the whisky in 1997 - Highland Park, I think. An amusing evening of Tory-toppling was ruined at about 3am when the police phoned for me to come and check the alarms at work. Fortunately work was a few yards round the corner because I was distinctly pissed.

Any particular upper-lip tremblings from the losing incumbents we should be looking out for this time?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 04, 2010 8:15 pm

Little Green Man wrote:I opted for the whisky in 1997 - Highland Park, I think.
Well, I've been saving this bottle of Balvenie Signature for something....... :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue May 04, 2010 8:38 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote: 3 One of the minor parties, SDP, UKIP, BNP, PC...who cares
If PC come third that really would be PC gone mad as they're only standing in 40 seats in Wales.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue May 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
thebish wrote: I quite like the look of Channel 4's offering as a warm up - with Jimmy Carr, Charlie Brooker and David Mitchell. Not that fussed about Carr - but the other two can be very amusing...

then it'll be the good old Beeb until the moment cameron is declared victor at which point I will down a large glass of scotch and go to bed for five years...
I'll probably watch that too. Could be quite entertaining as valve on the 'balanced coverage' pressure cooker of the last four weeks is finally flipped as soon as the polls close. I'm half expecting them to get Sanjeev Bhaskar and his missus on to do a skit as 'The Soods at Number 10' after today's ramblings from the Labour candidate for Norfolk North.

I opted for the whisky in 1997 - Highland Park, I think. An amusing evening of Tory-toppling was ruined at about 3am when the police phoned for me to come and check the alarms at work. Fortunately work was a few yards round the corner because I was distinctly pissed.

Any particular upper-lip tremblings from the losing incumbents we should be looking out for this time?
An absolute fave... 1997 was so delicious and nothing better than the Portillo moment when about a dozen of us distilled ourselves from the party to run around the streets already tinged red with the dawn...

This time - I think Cameron will regret choosing his marginal... He's in a pretty desperate situation I think...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:I must say I'm fairly ignorant on the whole PR argument, all I know is on a basic level it means a vote for a smaller party carries much more worth, but what happens to the idea of an MP and his/her constituency?
Anyone? :whack:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue May 04, 2010 9:01 pm

thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Watching the Election results would be like watching Rocky XXV

You know the winner before the opening credits roll
OK Caps - what will the result be then? (so you can save us all from staying up)

overall Tory majority
hung parliament with labour in second (in terms of seats)
hung parliament with labour in third (in terms of seats)
summat else

(maybe you're SirNuts supernatural Brian?)
Not sure why you chuck in 'in terms of seats' seeing as it's the only measure thats important

Makes me smile a touch that many of those wanting reform would no doubt want to chuck in a rider that the BNP aren't allowed MPs

As for the result

1 Tories with overall majority
2 Labour
3 One of the minor parties, SDP, UKIP, BNP, PC...who cares

I chucked it in to avoid confusion as plenty of lib dems are muddying the water by describing it as if it matters (you're right - it doesn't, as I pointed out above)

are you suggesting the SDP (whoever they are??) UKIP or BNP will get more seats than the liberal democrats?
This could be the election when the no of votes definitively does matter - when first past the post produces such a grotesque gerrymandering of the people's desires that it is too discredited to survive...

I hope so... provided there's no question of a Tory government to return us to the disasters of mass unemployment, 15% interest rates and 18 month queues for NHS surgery... And they will, if we're stupid enough to allow them, they will...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 04, 2010 9:17 pm

William the White wrote: I hope so... provided there's no question of a Tory government to return us to the disasters of mass unemployment, 15% interest rates and 18 month queues for NHS surgery... And they will, if we're stupid enough to allow them, they will...
Oh my. I've never read such desperate shite in all my life.

Go on then, tell me. I reckon that Labour's raise on NI contributions will lead to greater unemployment. You tell me how a Tory government will lead to, as you say, "mass unemployment"? 15% Interest rates? 18 month queues for NHS surgery?
Oh, and under your fantstic Labour government, up to now I've been pushed back from last November until, from the latest letter, mid July for the surgery that I need, so don't give me that shit either!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue May 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Does 2.5 million not = mass in your dictionary

Add all the kids at Uni and any others who have been directed onto assorted benefits

I think the figure is higher now than when the Tories left office, despite all the manipulation?

And don't worry about high interest rates...

Nobody will have owt to spend for years and that's not the fault of the Tories, however you try to dress it up
Sto ut Serviam

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote: I hope so... provided there's no question of a Tory government to return us to the disasters of mass unemployment, 15% interest rates and 18 month queues for NHS surgery... And they will, if we're stupid enough to allow them, they will...

Go on then, tell me. I reckon that Labour's raise on NI contributions will lead to greater unemployment. You tell me how a Tory government will lead to, as you say, "mass unemployment"? 15% Interest rates? 18 month queues for NHS surgery?
Oh, and under your fantstic Labour government, up to now I've been pushed back from last November until, from the latest letter, mid July for the surgery that I need, so don't give me that shit either!
I can tell you how they managed the first two last time around....

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue May 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I must say I'm fairly ignorant on the whole PR argument, all I know is on a basic level it means a vote for a smaller party carries much more worth, but what happens to the idea of an MP and his/her constituency?
Anyone? :whack:
It's pretty much broken - one of the standards 'cons' in the PR discussion is that the local is link is reduced and much more power is given to parties and their lists.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I'm only interested in 'this time around'.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Tue May 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Does anyone know how they will vote on Thursday? I have never ever been so undecided in all my life and that's saying something as a female.

I truly can't help but wonder why a young person would vote conservative? I can see an older cynical person thinking that they want to look after themselves but find it really strange when younger voters follow that road. Perhaps I was just too idealistic in my yooth

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue May 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Gertie wrote:Does anyone know how they will vote on Thursday? I have never ever been so undecided in all my life and that's saying something as a female.

I truly can't help but wonder why a young person would vote conservative? I can see an older cynical person thinking that they want to look after themselves but find it really strange when younger voters follow that road. Perhaps I was just too idealistic in my yooth
It's like this

It's a 2 horse race

You're happy with what Labour have achieved, then vote Labour

If you're not, vote Tory or watch a soap/do the ironing
Sto ut Serviam

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue May 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I'm only interested in 'this time around'.
No lessons to be learned from the past, Bruce? Ever? How on earth do you manage to prevent yourself making the same mistake twice?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue May 04, 2010 9:41 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Gertie wrote:Does anyone know how they will vote on Thursday? I have never ever been so undecided in all my life and that's saying something as a female.

It's like this

It's a 2 horse race

You're happy with what Labour have achieved, then vote Labour

If you're not, vote Tory or watch a soap/do the ironing
Do not follow this advice... vote the party best able to keep the Tories out - you were a lovely person in your youth and can be still... the cave-dwellers do not deserve your vote... :D

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue May 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Cave dwellers? Where would they put their moats and duck islands?