The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by William the White » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:03 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:So you like his idea of engaging with the Palestinians?

And not just any old Palestinians - murdering Palestinians?
If you want peace you have to engage with people at war. like errrmmm... the IRA.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Given he doesn't fancy Trident, we should have plenty left over....be a shame not to get any use out of 'em...where should we start?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:46 pm

Successive UK Governments have engaged with Israelis.

And not just any old Israelis - murdering Israelis. Just saying like
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:19 am

"Jeremy Corbyn to apologise for Dylan going electric"

From twitter....

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:36 am

I like this concept that we will reopen the coal mines whilst simultaneously banning the burning of fossil fuels.

Where do I sign?
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:57 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:I like this concept that we will reopen the coal mines whilst simultaneously banning the burning of fossil fuels.

Where do I sign?
Well most of the greens are daft enough to fall for that one, after all they voted the charismatic Bennett as leader :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:03 am

interestingly - Britain used about 48 million tonnes of coal last year - 42 million of which were imported... the amount certainly surprised me!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:12 am

thebish wrote:interestingly - Britain used about 48 million tonnes of coal last year - 42 million of which were imported... the amount certainly surprised me!
Not a lot in the great scheme of history.

http://www.seec.surrey.ac.uk/research/SEEDS/SEEDS67.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:24 am

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:interestingly - Britain used about 48 million tonnes of coal last year - 42 million of which were imported... the amount certainly surprised me!
Not a lot in the great scheme of history.

http://www.seec.surrey.ac.uk/research/SEEDS/SEEDS67.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
indeed not - but more than I had imagined..

but if we are still using that amount, and IF (yeah - big if) we can use clean-burn technology, and if we still have coal in our own country that is readily and economically -viably accessible - then I can see an argument that it is better to dig ours up than to depend on (russian?) imports...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:34 am

If my grandmother had wheels she would-a have been a bike!

Haven't we flooded all of ours? Damp coal doesn't burn :D!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:38 am

Prufrock wrote:If my grandmother had wheels she would-a have been a bike!
no she wouldn't!

I think what is being talked about is opencast mining rather then deep-pit mining...

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:44 am

Prufrock wrote:If my grandmother had wheels she would-a have been a bike!

Haven't we flooded all of ours? Damp coal doesn't burn :D!
probably not the best way of describing your gran, do you know the connotation of describing someone as a bike?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:52 am

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:How do they get away with shit like this?! http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... or-leaflet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just another two day scandal. Blow over and everyone will forget.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:50 pm

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... e-kurds-to" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting article on Corbyn's approach to Syria.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:12 pm

Corbyn has 25+ years of courting people and ideas which were outside the acceptable. It never amounted to anything and it was never going to matter. He now has a lot of that to live down.

He's doing so by a combination of selective memory, fantastic nit-picking about what he did and didn't quite say and the "well, no, that's not what I meant at all".

Think Bish with bells on.

He never planned to be where he now finds himself. They say opposition is easy but being on the fringes even of that must be a doddle. He will soon have to decide what he actually thinks and what he will actually promote.

I wonder if, deep down, he isn't quietly hoping not to quite win.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:21 pm

aye - it'd be much better to have someone who never really says what he believes and floats with the currently politically popular view constantly sniping at what he doesn't really understand - and will change whenever it's expedient to do so.. (think Bobo with bells on)

Burnham - he'd be ace!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:24 pm

He attempted to answer questions about anti-semitism (I don't think anyone genuinely thinks he personally is anti-semitic, but that he's too close to people who are and he'll get burnt by it) here: http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/14265 ... -questions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, even being very generous and granting that it seems to have been dashed off in a rush by an intern copying the question out in the answer, it's not particularly convincing.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:He attempted to answer questions about anti-semitism (I don't think anyone genuinely thinks he personally is anti-semitic, but that he's too close to people who are and he'll get burnt by it) here: http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/14265 ... -questions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, even being very generous and granting that it seems to have been dashed off in a rush by an intern copying the question out in the answer, it's not particularly convincing.

the whole charade sickens me... does anyone seriously think Corbyn is racist? no..
answer: dig up people he has met in umpteen years of being an MP and imply that becasue he has met people, he shares all their views..

Bobo has met me - that makes him a lunatic pinko fanatic, and it makes me a smug tory poster-boy, presumably! :wink:

me? I'd much rather have a politician who has met a wide range of people - who has got stuck in over his career - I'd much rather that than someone who has met nobody except fellow labour party-spin doctors and special advisors...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:00 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:He attempted to answer questions about anti-semitism (I don't think anyone genuinely thinks he personally is anti-semitic, but that he's too close to people who are and he'll get burnt by it) here: http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/14265 ... -questions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the whole charade sickens me... does anyone seriously think Corbyn is racist? no..
answer: dig up people he has met in umpteen years of being an MP and imply that becasue he has met people, he shares all their views..

Bobo has met me - that makes him a lunatic pinko fanatic, and it makes me a smug tory poster-boy, presumably! :wink:

me? I'd much rather have a politician who has met a wide range of people - who has got stuck in over his career - I'd much rather that than someone who has met nobody except fellow labour party-spin doctors and special advisors...
The whole charade might be sickening but it is a minuscule percentage of what will need to be dealt with should he actually win the leadership contest. In the event of that win I await early national opinion polls with interest.