The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:07 am
Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:01 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:11 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:02 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:53 pm
I think I'd rather have Boris, garden parties and all. Tony Blairs big fault was his naivety but how would he handle Putin? Hobson's but what alternatives?
Blair was a political colossus compared to Johnson, who doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence. I think you may be right though re Truss. She could actually be worse than Boris.
They are the same. Both just political opportunists feasting off the stupidity of the infiltration of the Tory party by little Englander brexiteers.

They both have to do what they are told by the far right elements of the Tory party.
How soon you forget that the 'little Englanders' were in the majority of those who could be bothered to vote and not the minority arrogant barsteward remainers who went for a glass of EU wine instead because they had it all sown up! With call me Dave and Ozzy Osborne on board you had no chance, suck it up loser.
I mean you are right we had no chance with losers like this on our side.

https://twitter.com/karlturnermp/status ... NC4s2Q7P_w
Nice Twitter quote from a fellow rabid remainer BWFCi no doubt If I had the time to troll Twitter i could link the opposite view point.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:47 am

All I can say is "Lord have mercy on us all" . Thatcher could at least be admired for her dogged toughness and refusal to be browbeaten. I can't see that here. I'll happily apologise for being wrong. Bring back Tony Blair. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:20 am

As someone else so accurately described elsewhere - having Liz Truss forced upon us is like when Apple uploaded that shit U2 album that people neither wanted nor asked for on to everyone's phone.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:08 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:39 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:07 am
Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:01 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:11 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:02 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:53 pm
I think I'd rather have Boris, garden parties and all. Tony Blairs big fault was his naivety but how would he handle Putin? Hobson's but what alternatives?
Blair was a political colossus compared to Johnson, who doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence. I think you may be right though re Truss. She could actually be worse than Boris.
They are the same. Both just political opportunists feasting off the stupidity of the infiltration of the Tory party by little Englander brexiteers.

They both have to do what they are told by the far right elements of the Tory party.
How soon you forget that the 'little Englanders' were in the majority of those who could be bothered to vote and not the minority arrogant barsteward remainers who went for a glass of EU wine instead because they had it all sown up! With call me Dave and Ozzy Osborne on board you had no chance, suck it up loser.
I mean you are right we had no chance with losers like this on our side.

https://twitter.com/karlturnermp/status ... NC4s2Q7P_w
Nice Twitter quote from a fellow rabid remainer BWFCi no doubt If I had the time to troll Twitter i could link the opposite view point.
The person who sent the tweet is irrelevant unless you think they’ve somehow doctored the contents of that video.

We are all poorer as a result. Can’t say we weren’t warned.

But we’ve made our bed now the people who told us Brexit was a good idea and would give us the sunlit uplands have been running the absolute sh1tshow and continue to be as embarrassingly bad as we always knew they were. Even you must be embarrassed.

Now we’ve got ardent remainer, then ardent Brexiteer Truss to continue the meltdown. She says we will avoid a recession. Good luck with that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:43 am

Maybe someone could explain why we had to send two planes up to Aberdeen for a resignation and a job appointment and in a move that will disappoint precisely no one, Dorries joins Patel in resigning from government...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:55 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:20 am
As someone else so accurately described elsewhere - having Liz Truss forced upon us is like when Apple uploaded that shit U2 album that people neither wanted nor asked for on to everyone's phone.
Spot on Bruce. Might describe the internet in general. A basically good idea initially that spawned a million bandwaggons of promise that nobody wants or needs, Might also be responsible for the oft quoted "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater" as switching off isn't an option for a trillion businesses. We were doing fine with Word, Excel and Powertpoint till somebody typed in the word "G---gle ", followed by "advertising" by mistake. Now the whole world and his cousin Elsie are experts on everything.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:59 am

Whose poorer because we left the EU exactly?
Do you think our mortality rate from Covid would have been less under the EU faffing about over vaccines?
Would the defence of the UK have been enhanced laying in bed with a bunch of misfits who cannot agree on a strategy to slap Putin?
If you think we are worse off just wait until the begging bowl turns up at the German door by the poorest countries in the EU and it's slammed shut, we'd be in the firing line for more contributions.
Instability is knocking at the door of EU, a point conveniently overerlooked by you Nanny I need my nappy changing types.
Yes it's crap here both in government and the opposition but it ain't no bed of roses elsewhere China's eccomy is slipping, folk in the US are getting pissed with energy prices and politics there are hovering around a dangerous flashpoint yet according to you, it's only us. Ffs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:25 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:59 am
Do you think our mortality rate from Covid would have been less under the EU faffing about over vaccines?
Would the defence of the UK have been enhanced laying in bed with a bunch of misfits who cannot agree on a strategy to slap Putin?
If you think we are worse off just wait until the begging bowl turns up at the German door by the poorest countries in the EU and it's slammed shut, we'd be in the firing line for more contributions.
Instability is knocking at the door of EU, a point conveniently overerlooked by you Nanny I need my nappy changing types.
Yes it's crap here both in government and the opposition but it ain't no bed of roses elsewhere China's eccomy is slipping, folk in the US are getting pissed with energy prices and politics there are hovering around a dangerous flashpoint yet according to you, it's only us. Ffs.
We are worse off because trade has fallen off a cliff and yesterday the pound measured against a basket of currencies was at its lowest value on record. Both of these things are heavily to do with Brexit and whilst I know you don’t want to hear it are hardly surprising.

We then have lost out through massive labour reduction and hence many industries are struggling. This isn’t all to do with Brexit but Brexit has compounded the problem especially in care and logistics.

We are out. And I certainly don’t want to rejoin. Those who want to go back in simply don’t understand what they are asking for. We left and have to make the best of it now….and stop expecting the EU to help us out on a deal we signed. We signed it and are now an independent nation so are stuck with it.

I’ve little energy to argue about it as frankly there isn’t much to argue about. We all see the mess we are in and it’s simply a fact that those who promised Brexit did so based purely on lies. And they’ve spectacularly failed to deliver and plunged the country into its biggest economic crisis in any of our lifetimes.

You are correct that there are global drivers, but by virtually every metric we are in a worse place than the rest of the G7. And until we realise this is through our own doing ( it’s slowly sinking in the masks are slowly coming away) and correct that we won’t start what is going to be a very very long road to recovery.

Our problems are entirely of our own making. Christ even Brexit could have been made to work if it wasn’t the worst most self centred individuals in the world who were almost the entirety of its backers.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:45 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:59 am
Everyone who uses petrol? £ dropped v $ on Brexit. Hasn't recovered, so the cost of petrol has increased as the raw goods are traded in $....

Almost certainly the increased logistics costs are a factor in the prices at the supermarket shelves...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Have noticed that the supermarket shelves seem a lot...emptier recently too. Haven't been able to get pak choi in Waitrose for weeks!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:44 pm
Have noticed that the supermarket shelves seem a lot...emptier recently too. Haven't been able to get pak choi in Waitrose for weeks!
:lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:18 pm

Can't honestly say I ever knew which way to vote on Brexit. I can say in retrospect, I actually wish I'd never heard of it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:36 pm

Here’s how I see things.

In the 70’s the unions had too much power and sway. Thatcher corrected that but in doing so launched us on a path from one extreme to another extreme of deregulation, free market expansionism and ultimately the position we have today where inequality between the top 5% and everyone else is so eye watering we may as well not be the same species.

It’s failed and everyone can see it’s failed. And the only way these free market capitalists at all costs protect the wealthy shareholders have to cling on is to find someone erroneous who they can blame. With Cameron if was the ‘workshy’, then the Brexit campaign pinned all our woes onto the EU, then it was all Corbyn’s fault, then Johnson blamed the ‘elite establishment’ a made up entity that doesn’t even exist and if it did he was very much front and centre of it. Then they blamed the woke liberal elite, another made up entity that again has absolutely no power over our economic policy if it did even actually exist. Then immigrants on boats. Now trans people.

The only way they can cling on and keep forcing their strangulation of the British public to preserve the richest peoples bank balances is to find some perceived enemy, real or imaginary and stir up enough hate, create enough division that they cling onto power. It’s like distraction. We will pass the insane energy costs onto our children to pay in the future on top of a two trillion pile of debt instead of taking tiny slices out of energy producers profit margins, but hey look over there some awful lefty liberal lawyer is defending some basic human rights…booo lefty liberal lawyer…oh I’m sorry we’ve spent all your money but at least we’ve made someone working pro bono unpopular….

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
The supply issues have been getting worse again the last 2 months. I'm not getting approximately a 3rd of what I order and bottled water is rarer than white dog shit these days.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 pm

Waitrose jokes aside the shelves are noticeably bare. The other day no (Pak choi) cucumbers, courgettes, aubergines, only around 1/4 of the range of tomatoes, only one sort of lettuce. And that was just the things I wanted.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:04 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:33 pm
Prufrock wrote:
The supply issues have been getting worse again the last 2 months. I'm not getting approximately a 3rd of what I order and bottled water is rarer than white dog shit these days.
You just need to believe a bit harder.

Failing that just remember that when ‘insert angry middle aged man’ was a child they didn’t have food. They lived off the thrashing’s their dad gave them and a lump of coal a day if they were lucky. They lived in sub zero conditions and walked 750 miles to school and back all weathers. They never needed food, drink or medicine and it’s never done them any harm.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 pm
Waitrose jokes aside the shelves are noticeably bare. The other day no (Pak choi) cucumbers, courgettes, aubergines, only around 1/4 of the range of tomatoes, only one sort of lettuce. And that was just the things I wanted.
So Brexit is saving you money? On the grounds you can't buy anything! Clever bastards.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:04 pm
You just need to believe a bit harder.
That's what some of my suppliers think :roll:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:50 pm

Entrance speech was mercifully short and very Winston Churchhill making out the answer is in the citizens hands...Time will now tell and no soapbox serenades will sell. Over to you Mrs P.M. ae:)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:25 pm

Crikey what a grim cabinet. Pitchforks at dawn anyone?