The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:28 pm

Excuse the YAWN, but no one has ever tried by view - so you wouldn't know.... :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Oh hello Sunak is changing his tax plan, wonder where he is getting the money from......

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:05 pm

Obvs he's found Truss' magic money tree...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:13 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:05 pm
Obvs he's found Truss' magic money tree...
Naww I'd watch your bank account Worthy :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:59 am

It's in the Cayman's...they can't get at it! :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:09 am

OMG anyone seen Rayner casting dagger looks in the photo of her and Stammer?

The Tories could bring back John Major and still win an election if Rayner became labour leader.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:45 am

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:09 am

The Tories could bring back John Major and still win an election if Rayner became labour leader.
I'm thinking this might not be an "OMG," and I've not seen it. But yeah. About as GE winning as Michael Foot.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:55 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:45 am
Hoboh wrote:

I'm thinking this might not be an "OMG," and I've not seen it. But yeah. About as GE winning as Michael Foot.
Which is why she’s the choice of the Corbyn lot.

But yeah. I’ve warmed to her a bit recently she’s toned it down. Never leadership material though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:02 am

Hoboh wrote:

As a slight aside, I was thinking of John Major yesterday. History will remember him as rather dull and uninspiring, and will forget all he's done for British sport, and in particular British athletics and Team GB (after the utter embarrassment of Atlanta, as I recall).
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:02 am
Hoboh wrote:

As a slight aside, I was thinking of John Major yesterday. History will remember him as rather dull and uninspiring, and will forget all he's done for British sport, and in particular British athletics and Team GB (after the utter embarrassment of Atlanta, as I recall).
He’s a political powerhouse compared to the pretenders we have today.

A nice bloke too.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:06 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

A nice bloke too.
True enough, and absolutely the sort of guy who you just know would be wonderful company for a day at the test.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

He’s a political powerhouse compared to the pretenders we have today.A nice bloke too.
In terms of personality appeal, politicians are all rather dull "Spittin Image" candidates. The only one with any life, for all his faults, was actually Tony Blair, and of late, Boris..
(ducks and legs it rapido)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:24 am

[soundcloud][/soundcloud]
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:19 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

He’s a political powerhouse compared to the pretenders we have today.A nice bloke too.
In terms of personality appeal, politicians are all rather dull "Spittin Image" candidates. The only one with any life, for all his faults, was actually Tony Blair, and of late, Boris..
(ducks and legs it rapido)
We don’t need personalities. It’s a serious job with serious implications. We need people who know what they are doing. Major knew what he was doing. As did Blair. Thatcher knew what she was doing.

Doesn’t mean what they were doing was right of course, but nowadays the candidates seem to just say what they think they need to but none have much clue as to what needs to be done.

All very depressing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:33 am

Stumbled across this absolutely superb Twitter thread on how a failure to increase wages is simply feeding the pockets of shareholders. The Tory desire to suppress wages has nothing to do with inflationary concerns and is simply about further redistribution of wealth to the richest 5% away from everyone else.

https://twitter.com/richardjmurphy/stat ... 8IBx6AEVeQ

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:33 am
Stumbled across this absolutely superb Twitter thread on how a failure to increase wages is simply feeding the pockets of shareholders. The Tory desire to suppress wages has nothing to do with inflationary concerns and is simply about further redistribution of wealth to the richest 5% away from everyone else.

Some great short vids on Youtube from Robert Reich (ex-US Sec for Labor [sic]) pointing out all the policy shit going on that supports this...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:26 am

Richard Murphy for P.M.

"When one person spends it another one gets it. That’s just the way it is".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:35 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:26 am
Richard Murphy for P.M.

"When one person spends it another one gets it. That’s just the way it is".
That's part of the problem. Should read "When some people spend it, they get more of it"...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:45 am

Government data shows that net government debt when the Tories came into office in 2010 was £995 billion. At the end of March 2022 is was £2,342 billion. That is an increase of £1,347 billion, representing 57.5% of all government borrowing. They are the biggest borrowers, ever.

And what have we got in return? A failed Brexit. Crumbling public services. The worst economic crisis in decades. And they continue to rack up a bill on our credit card that is unprecedented. They should never be allowed back in power. A complete disgrace of a record.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:45 am

Government data shows that net government debt when the Tories came into office in 2010 was £995 billion. At the end of March 2022 is was £2,342 billion. That is an increase of £1,347 billion, representing 57.5% of all government borrowing. They are the biggest borrowers, ever.

And what have we got in return? A failed Brexit. Crumbling public services. The worst economic crisis in decades. And they continue to rack up a bill on our credit card that is unprecedented. They should never be allowed back in power. A complete disgrace of a record.
And thereby (in my inexperienced opinion) hangs the problems with Toryism in the Millenium. Hard for a die hard Englander to admit, but It's historical yesterday based on outdated haves and have-nots of a scale beyond imagination. Does the modern world care how many Dukes and Duchesses , Baronets and Baronesses we have in the so-called Honours list? Even the Commonwealth (have a close look at that word) is a false-feather flag of unreality today as outdated as gunboats, muskets and pictures of Queen Victoria.

Nobody could have predicted Covid or the maniacal war-mongering of Putin (another whose visions of Genghis Khan belong in the history books) but carrying on as if the never happened instead of admitting we have problems of gigantic proportions, is where our beloved government show their threadbare Union-Jack underwear to the world. What K--- did next is no nearer to reality than " What Britain did next" Meanwhile, we have the Commonwealth parades, games and tunes of glory to tide us over.

Footnote.: My beloved Jane Austen lived in a Tory inspired Regency world, but at least she was honest about it despite the Napoleonic Wars on the heels of the French Revolution occurring around her. Just as she passed on, Charles Dickens was born and brought a totally opposing world of working-class Labour to the fore. The Liberal political view always seemed to get elbowed aside (I know not too much its history, mainly from lack of political interest) . Conclusion; we haven't learned very much really, have we?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

A nice bloke too.
A mate of mine had a run in with him at work once. He met a lot of celebs and VIPs and always maintained that Major was the biggest arsehole of the lot.

The olympics thing was using national lottery funding wasnt it? Diverted the profits from the arts to sport?

Pains me to say it but we, the UK, could really do with a PM like him right now. Understated, dull almost and sensible.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"