The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:42 pm

Ahh with you. There was a Twitter thing the other day about which artist who's art was good but had the worst effect on humanity. Amongst the Nietzsches and Byrons my first answer was Dion f*cking Dublin. Terrible United team, but Homes Under the Hammer can feck off.

Obviously there a place for a rental market but I don't think that should be the domain of cash rich almost retirees looking for an investment. The number of shithole London houses I've lived in that are semi managed from afar by someone with a nest egg who wants to spend no money, and can, just to keep a nice 40k a year coming in.

Registration scheme for landlords, otherwise second homes taxed at 10% of the capital value pa.. That'd help in London at least. I do think supply generally is an issue though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:54 pm

London is a problem. For many reasons. Fairly cramped so they can only go up, or further out into overheated and over priced burbs. Until they set policies that relocate a big chunk of well paid jobs out of London & SE, the problem will only get worse.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:42 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:54 pm
London is a problem. For many reasons. Fairly cramped so they can only go up, or further out into overheated and over priced burbs. Until they set policies that relocate a big chunk of well paid jobs out of London & SE, the problem will only get worse.
Hmmm. You mean like giving everyone the right to work from home where possible…that policy that Johnson ditched in order to satiate his rich donors who all hold copious amounts of city centre property.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:20 am

I had a dream about a green and pleasant land...

Having long been a supporter of Queen and country (that's the very immediate royal family, not the multitudinal relations) , London should be a tourist attraction only and not "the city" in terms of manufacture or production, industry economy and food and drink supply. The bank managers have long stopped living in our wardrobes (try to get to see one) and electronics rule the world which don't need Knightsbridge or Harley Street addresses to make phone and internet calls as most Rolls Royce and Bentleys' have Lincoln Lawyer interiors. Tax the top-enders heavily and let them feel the pinch for a change. Make phone-calls with more than three minutes waiting time chargeable to the recipients, especially doctors' surgeries' .

De-nationalise everything and turn all the land owned by The Duke of Fullers Earth and all the rest of the free-loaders and their ilk of ancient title-holders into industry and commerce centres with pleasant housing estates and parklands outside the metropolis . Gas, Electricity, railways, public transport and all the rest, take back to the pre-Beeching era and re-open all the corner shops, and post offices that don't need a bus ride to find them. We can't possibly compete in a nuclear war, so just how many submarines do we need to "protect" our shores?

Finally; elect a governing body without wigs, robes and fancy out-dated titles who are actually concerned in running the country in a fair and decent manner and laws that actually deter crime rather than cost a fortune to house and feed criminals (did we try chain gangs and hard labour?)...

I think that's where I woke up and reached for the Ibuprofen. .... :(

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:34 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:20 am
I had a dream about a green and pleasant land...

Having long been a supporter of Queen and country (that's the very immediate royal family, not the multitudinal relations) , London should be a tourist attraction only and not "the city" in terms of manufacture or production, industry economy and food and drink supply. The bank managers have long stopped living in our wardrobes (try to get to see one) and electronics rule the world which don't need Knightsbridge or Harley Street addresses to make phone and internet calls as most Rolls Royce and Bentleys' have Lincoln Lawyer interiors. Tax the top-enders heavily and let them feel the pinch for a change. Make phone-calls with more than three minutes waiting time chargeable to the recipients, especially doctors' surgeries' .

De-nationalise everything and turn all the land owned by The Duke of Fullers Earth and all the rest of the free-loaders and their ilk of ancient title-holders into industry and commerce centres with pleasant housing estates and parklands outside the metropolis . Gas, Electricity, railways, public transport and all the rest, take back to the pre-Beeching era and re-open all the corner shops, and post offices that don't need a bus ride to find them. We can't possibly compete in a nuclear war, so just how many submarines do we need to "protect" our shores?

Finally; elect a governing body without wigs, robes and fancy out-dated titles who are actually concerned in running the country in a fair and decent manner and laws that actually deter crime rather than cost a fortune to house and feed criminals (did we try chain gangs and hard labour?)...

I think that's where I woke up and reached for the Ibuprofen. .... :(

ae:)
You’re not far off writing out Jeremy Corbyns manifesto here…

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:31 pm

Amongst all the property angst, this bloody shower are pressing ahead with their refugees to Rwanda policy. Truly despicable and another nail in the coffin of the UKs standing around the world.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:45 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:31 pm
Amongst all the property angst, this bloody shower are pressing ahead with their refugees to Rwanda policy. Truly despicable and another nail in the coffin of the UKs standing around the world.
Yup. And why the furore over Charles' private comments. a) They were private b) It will soon become HIS government

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:10 am

Arise, Sir Tony Blair... :|

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:10 am

It seems fairly standard to me. Don't all former Prime Ministers get recognised?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:34 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:30 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

It seems fairly standard to me. Don't all former Prime Ministers get recognised?
Yes, but not generally as a war criminal....... :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:58 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:34 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Of all former PMs Churchill was and is the biggest war criminal of the lot.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:58 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

You're probably right.......but at least he won summat......

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:53 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

You're probably right.......but at least he won summat......
:lol: I’m off to watch that Fawlty Towers episode now!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

A bold statement. I doubt you would have claimed that in 1940.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

A bold statement. I doubt you would have claimed that in 1940.
I’m referring to stuff he was involved with well prior to 1940.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29701767.amp

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:50 pm

Tonight I'm delighted that our response to supply side inflation is to try and batter the shit out of the demand side, which isn't causing it in the first place. I'm awaiting the urgent supply side policies, but not holding my breath...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:18 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
How many are you taking in pal?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:34 am

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:18 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Is this the standard response to any form of immigration, these days? What a dumbass question.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:38 am

Rwanda can keep the Johnson’s. How much would that cost us? I think we could raise anything for that, no price is too high.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:15 am

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:18 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
To paraphrase Mick Lynch;

"Is this the level of debate we're at?" :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"