The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:40 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:06 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:02 am
Hoboh wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:09 am

The Tories could bring back John Major and still win an election if Rayner became labour leader.
As a slight aside, I was thinking of John Major yesterday. History will remember him as rather dull and uninspiring, and will forget all he's done for British sport, and in particular British athletics and Team GB (after the utter embarrassment of Atlanta, as I recall).
He’s a political powerhouse compared to the pretenders we have today.

A nice bloke too.
A mate of mine had a run in with him at work once. He met a lot of celebs and VIPs and always maintained that Major was the biggest arsehole of the lot.

The olympics thing was using national lottery funding wasnt it? Diverted the profits from the arts to sport?

Pains me to say it but we, the UK, could really do with a PM like him right now. Understated, dull almost and sensible.
So that would be Starmer then?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:18 pm

^ suits me pal :)
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:00 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

The olympics thing was using national lottery funding wasnt it? Diverted the profits from the arts to sport?
John Major set up the National Lottery specifically to fund sports, the arts etc in 94. Then on the back of our humiliating showing at Atlanta in 96 made a point of channeling more of the funding into Team GB (I think).

Apparently, after 96, we had athletes selling their kit off in order to pay off loans.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:40 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:06 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:02 am
Hoboh wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:09 am

The Tories could bring back John Major and still win an election if Rayner became labour leader.
As a slight aside, I was thinking of John Major yesterday. History will remember him as rather dull and uninspiring, and will forget all he's done for British sport, and in particular British athletics and Team GB (after the utter embarrassment of Atlanta, as I recall).
He’s a political powerhouse compared to the pretenders we have today.

A nice bloke too.
A mate of mine had a run in with him at work once. He met a lot of celebs and VIPs and always maintained that Major was the biggest arsehole of the lot.

Pains me to say it but we, the UK, could really do with a PM like him right now. Understated, dull almost and sensible.
So that would be Starmer then?
Starmer, sensible? :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:08 am

So Truss plans to cut pay for public sector workers outside of the London and South East area. So that’s ermm interesting as those people have faced ten years of real pay cuts and are in lots of cases unable to cope as it is. These are firemen, nurses and those that kept us going during the pandemic.

She really is odious. Are they going to brand that ‘levelling down’?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:41 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:08 am
So Truss plans to cut pay for public sector workers outside of the London and South East area. So that’s ermm interesting as those people have faced ten years of real pay cuts and are in lots of cases unable to cope as it is. These are firemen, nurses and those that kept us going during the pandemic.

She's going to save £8.8bn on salaries? and the total wage bill is £9bn..Has she got Diane Abbot's calculator?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:51 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:41 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:08 am

She's going to save £8.8bn on salaries? and the total wage bill is £9bn..Has she got Diane Abbot's calculator?
The £8.8Bn saving is calculated based on pay cuts across the entire public sector outside of the south east.

The £9Bn bill is as I understand it the civil service where Truss is initially focussing on pay cuts before rolling out to all teachers, nurses, firemen, job centre staff etc…

She tried to hide it as just applying to new civil service roles before someone pointed out that didn’t add up to anything like £8.8Bn and now has had to concede that yes the plan is to cut all pay across the public sector outside of London.

A few facts. Public sector pay lags way behind private sector pay now. Nurses and firemen etc have faced real terms pay cuts for ten years and now are way behind inflation and as inflation rises we know more are being pushed into absolute poverty.

Truss’ plan is fairly blatant now. More of stuffing the richest five percent whilst making everyone else far poorer. That is the exactly what she is offering.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:29 am

Well the great news is, their tax cut will be less as they won't be earning as much, so that'll be a return to the "we've cut taxes" blurb! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:10 pm

It’s so hilarious if it wasn’t the moron who will soon be our PM.

Truss claims her policy of ‘reducing pay of public sector workers outside of London’ is not true and was wilfully misrepresented. So someone obviously has devastatingly misrepresented her. How awful.

Except as pointed out on Twitter it was her own press release yesterday that outlined the policy very clearly.

https://twitter.com/Mark_J_Harper/statu ... N7gUFzuXlA

More embarrassing still the very policy was something Truss advocated back in 2018 as chief secretary to the treasury. https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status ... IRPdgAQwrQ

She wants to run the country. I’d not let her run a bath.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:17 pm

Strangely enough, Mogg clarified it was all about civil servants. Maybe they could make their minds up as the both just make shit up on the hoof.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:17 pm
Strangely enough, Mogg clarified it was all about civil servants. Maybe they could make their minds up as the both just make shit up on the hoof.
Anyone who got rid of 25% of the bloody civil servants and made the rest of them get stuck in would get my vote. I knew one and they really take offence at being asked to do something extra "cause it's not the way things are done it's someone else's job". They'd make the old 70's trade union shop stewards look like amateurs.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:48 pm

Ah - you knew...one.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:20 pm

Also fecking told you all Sunak was bobbins.

I'm Mr Centrist Sensible.... Oh look I'm losing, here's the moon on the stick.

I always found it really instructive wherever Blair is asked about being "centrist" as if it's a pitch. A nod and a wink like "we're ideologically pure we'll just frame in the middle"

He's as scornful of that as the true ideologues are. It wasn't just presentation for him, he believed it. And he believed the electorate can smell bullshit.

I agree. But it's not exactly the purity test the extremes sign up to. It's not that most people want "someone who believes in something" because they need them to be pure, it's that they don't trust someone who doesn't believe in what they're doing. They'll accept someone who compromises to get things done, but not who does it to be popular.

I think it's why people underestimate Starmer. He looks like one of those centrists by convenience, but I think for him it's that he's willing to compromise to get things done, not because he thinks it's what other want to hear. And I think ultimately that competence tag will get votes in a way "fake" centrism (Milliband, May, to a small extent even Brown, but that's v harsh and not really why he lost, but maybe the difference in the end) didn't.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:04 pm

So we head to deep recession with public finances completely out of control, sky high inflation and rising interest rates.

If anyone utters there words ‘the Tories are more economically responsible’ then we should be referring them to prevent for deradicalisation.

Tory governments spend more, way way more of our money. Fact. They deliver less.

We need rid of them and the nonsense myth that they’re anything other than absolute corrupt disasters.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:48 pm
Ah - you knew...one.
I did actually he worked for the inland revenue, he's dead now wasn't such a bad bloke really.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:04 pm
So we head to deep recession with public finances completely out of control, sky high inflation and rising interest rates.

If anyone utters there words ‘the Tories are more economically responsible’ then we should be referring them to prevent for deradicalisation.

Tory governments spend more, way way more of our money. Fact. They deliver less.

We need rid of them and the nonsense myth that they’re anything other than absolute corrupt disasters.
Mate they all are.
Just imagine if Corbyn had been elected, all our gas would be coming from Putin and we'd probably lend him a few typhoons and missile systems to use in Ukraine, Diane would be telling everyone they are billionaires and Lammy would have every white person drop to the knee in the presence of a person of colour.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:47 pm

If you don't eat your carrots, you won't be able to see in the dark...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:58 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Mate they all are.
Just imagine if Corbyn had been elected, all our gas would be coming from Putin and we'd probably lend him a few typhoons and missile systems to use in Ukraine, Diane would be telling everyone they are billionaires and Lammy would have every white person drop to the knee in the presence of a person of colour.
Mate they all are what? Tory governments have spent on average huge amounts more of our money than Labour governments.

The current lot have spent more than all other governments in history combined. In 12 years.

‘Mate they all are’ doesn’t cover anything it doesn’t explain anything. It’s like a twitter bot with a pre determined line rolled out to try and somehow defend the absolute indefensible.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:25 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:58 am
Hoboh wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Mate they all are.
Mate they all are what? Tory governments have spent on average huge amounts more of our money than Labour governments.

The current lot have spent more than all other governments in history combined. In 12 years.

‘Mate they all are’ doesn’t cover anything it doesn’t explain anything. It’s like a twitter bot with a pre determined line rolled out to try and somehow defend the absolute indefensible.
Okay I'll clarify:

THERE ARE NO POLITICAL PARTIES OR POLITICIANS WHO GIVE A MONKEYS ABOUT JOE PUBLIC. THEY ARE INTERESTED ONLY AT ELECTION TIMES WITH VAGUE PROMISES TO MAINTAIN THEIR SALARY AND EXPENSES.

Clear enough?
Labour under Bliar and Brown nose had the chance to take utilities back into public ownership but instead set off down the route of even more private ownership in the form of PFI. The limp Dems still cannot decide if cannabis should be legal and other 'liberal' things I'd care not to mention.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:00 pm

In the words of Sir Walter Elliot.."We must retrench". Trouble is, he didn't, He, a man who believed title and connections more important than paying his bills, refused to see the wood for the trees. His fate is left to the readers imagination. Sound familiar?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?