The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:20 pm

the american narrator of thomas the tank engine (!) tells it like it is-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0u6lCBnRoHQ

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:24 pm

a1 wrote:the american narrator of thomas the tank engine (!) tells it like it is-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0u6lCBnRoHQ
Rufus! RIP.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Since this is labelled the Politics Thread, and not specifically American Presidential Politics Thread, can I express my amusement at Peter Mandelson returning to government:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008 ... ordonbrown

There was a time I would have said "shock", "disgust" or "abhorrence" that someone so corrupt can be called back. But hell, nobody's suprised by anything, anymore.
And a seat in the Lords, to boot.
If I take a dodgy loan, can I get a seat in the Lords, as well? Although in these Credit-Crunchy times, it seems that there'd be a lot of other contenders.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:06 pm

I think there's a fairly long history of dodgy returnees over the years on both sides of the political divide.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I think there's a fairly long history of dodgy returnees over the years on both sides of the political divide.
I'm know.

It's just that it happened again.

And it will happen in future.

As I said, I would be depressed, if I cared any more.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:24 pm

So to sum up this whole thread, all politicians are bent and in it for themselves, corruption is rife, and they'd sell their own grandmothers for a few quid?

Do we need a thread for that? Can we not just have a sticky with a statement to that effect? :mrgreen:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:32 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Why would Conservatives over here be anti-Bush?
Because he's an inept, dim-witted, war-mongering c*nt?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:36 pm

blurred wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Why would Conservatives over here be anti-Bush?
Because he's an inept, dim-witted, war-mongering c*nt?
Fair enough.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:34 pm

blurred wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:And, in the US, the first Veep debate tonight - Palin vs Biden. I do hope she can scrape through looking vaguely competent.... As it is, I think we're screwed anyway, and I don't see JM winning in places like Colorado, Virginia etc.
I'm interested as to the 'we' in this - while I know you have your blue leanings in affairs on this side of the pond, and the Republicans are the natural party of the 'conservative' (both big and small C) over there, I find it interesting that you align yourself with them, when I would imagine that a significant minority (if not a majority) of Conservatives over here are distinctly anti-Bush. How does that reconcile? Have you not watched the West Wing and become avowedly Democrat? ;)
Well, for a start nobody will have the chance to vote for Bush in November, so whether or not Conservatives are anti-Bush is irrelevant.

(As an aside, I wonder how many of those who solemnly and knowingly trot out the 'it's all about oil' line as if they have any insight at all into world affairs are in the queue to complain as soon as the price of fuel goes up by a mere 10p a litre.)

Yes, when I say 'we' I am talking about myself, of course, and the fact that I would not be voting for Senator Obama in the upcoming elections, were I a US citizen. My spiritual home in the US is undoubtedly on the socially liberal wing (yes, it does exist) of the GOP. There is certainly no place for me amongst the sneering, smug, disconnected, metropolitan liberals in America.

Palin, admittedly, isn't a great intellect. Not that intellectuals have all the answers, of course - indeed, the liberal intellectuals in the US often fail to see the wood for the trees... probably while they lose so many elections amongst people they don't understand or even like, and genuinely don't know why it's happened.

Hearing her claim that she had some foreign policy credentials on the basis of Alaska's border with Russia was, for example, excruciating. As was the fact that she couldn't name any other Supreme Court decision apart from Roe v Wade (when students even from this continent, in several disciplines, can name more than that...). http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=DRuBdW0yBUY

Is she a creationist? I don't think so, but I don't particularly care. The 'God thing' runs right through American politics anyway, and I don't personally find Creationist teachings much more ridiculous than the idea of the paranormal force that not only knows what each and everyone one of us is thinking, but actually cares what we're thinking, or the idea that when we die our personalities survive the death of our brains in an afterlife.

At any rate, she'd only be VP and JM is as fit as a fiddle. :wink:

Somebody asked me to defend the $700million bail-out package... what can I say - the idea makes me uncomfortable, as it does plenty of others, but it's not out of line with conservative thinking that the state is there to provide a safety net when things go tits up.

Mandelson. :shock:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:01 am

Intellectualism has never been a pre-requisite for the American presidency, whether Democrat or Republican, as far as I can see. I think you've got to go back as far as Roosevelt. (You can certainly skip LBJ, Carter, Ford, Reagan, Clinton and the Bushes!)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:02 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Intellectualism has never been a pre-requisite for the American presidency, whether Democrat or Republican, as far as I can see. I think you've got to go back as far as Roosevelt. (You can certainly skip LBJ, Carter, Ford, Reagan, Clinton and the Bushes!)
Not sure why you would skip Clinton - he was a Rhodes scholar, Phi Beta Kappa and a graduate of Yale Law School which would indicate a certain intellect IMHO.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Intellectualism has never been a pre-requisite for the American presidency, whether Democrat or Republican, as far as I can see. I think you've got to go back as far as Roosevelt. (You can certainly skip LBJ, Carter, Ford, Reagan, Clinton and the Bushes!)
Not sure why you would skip Clinton - he was a Rhodes scholar, Phi Beta Kappa and a graduate of Yale Law School which would indicate a certain intellect IMHO.
Or, a very well-connected family, keen on keeping their son's hide far away from Viet Cong bullets. Or am I being unkind? :)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Politics in any country is akin to a coconut shy. Appoint a line of coconuts to sit against a blank wall and choose a bevy of shooters to knock em down. When the line's empty, change places and start all over again. :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:37 pm

George Bush (Snr) graduated Yale also, obtaining a Bachelor's degree in economics.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:15 pm

sluffy wrote:
George Bush (Snr) graduated Yale also, obtaining a Bachelor's degree in economics.
So did Junior in history but there is a huge difference between a Yale undergraduate degree and the Yale Law School.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:18 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Or, a very well-connected family, keen on keeping their son's hide far away from Viet Cong bullets. Or am I being unkind? :)
Not unkind Zulus but a tad naive. Good connections don't get you a Rhodes scholarship or Phi Beta Kappa. And staying out of Vietnam might be considered a further sign of intelligence.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
sluffy wrote:
So did Junior in history but there is a huge difference between a Yale undergraduate degree and the Yale Law School.
Senior also graduated as a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 1948 - Jeb too in 1973

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:31 pm

From a country that looks like it is about to elect David Cameron as its next leader, the sniping at US Presidents intellectual abilities seems a tad insular.
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:39 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:From a country that looks like it is about to elect David Cameron as its next leader, the sniping at US Presidents intellectual abilities seems a tad insular.
Cameron obtained a first class honours degree from Oxford.

(Gordon Brown has a PhD in history from the University of Edinburgh).

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:46 pm

sluffy wrote:
lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:From a country that looks like it is about to elect David Cameron as its next leader, the sniping at US Presidents intellectual abilities seems a tad insular.
Cameron obtained a first class honours degree from Oxford.

(Gordon Brown has a PhD in history from the University of Edinburgh).
Heatherdown Prep School
Eton College
Oxford

You can buy that sort of education in this country with the right connections- what piece of literary,philosophical, sociological or technological body of work has he produced?
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"