The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:44 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:I know the guy is a loon and it'll be damn scary if he wins but the Beebs coverage of this presidential election has been so biased it's untrue. This morning an interview with Pamela Anderson on R5, who's brought a book about sex out, suddenly turned into a what's wrong with Trump piece. Undoubtedly there's a lot wrong with the guy but I'm not sure political commentary is amongst Pams best skills!

The BBC imo, usually tread the difficult line of balance quite well but I reckon they've nailed their colours to the mast on this one
It's a bit hard for any rational person or entity to be neutral on Trump, Harry.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I know the guy is a loon and it'll be damn scary if he wins but the Beebs coverage of this presidential election has been so biased it's untrue. This morning an interview with Pamela Anderson on R5, who's brought a book about sex out, suddenly turned into a what's wrong with Trump piece. Undoubtedly there's a lot wrong with the guy but I'm not sure political commentary is amongst Pams best skills!

The BBC imo, usually tread the difficult line of balance quite well but I reckon they've nailed their colours to the mast on this one
It's a bit hard for any rational person or entity to be neutral on Trump, Harry.
Not sure their neutrality is all that important in a US election anyway.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

The BBC's neutrality is always important! :shock:

I know what you both mean but like others on here I wasn't sure what American's objections to Hilary Clinton were. A bit of digging around and you see some of the scandals she's been involved in and why she's hated by many. Not something that is coming across in the Beebs coverage imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:59 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I know what you both mean but like others on here I wasn't sure what American's objections to Hilary Clinton were. A bit of digging around and you see some of the scandals she's been involved in and why she's hated by many. Not something that is coming across in the Beebs coverage imo
The trouble with anything from America is half the scandals are completely made up. And I don't mean in relation to Clinton specifically. Just generally.

The right wing American media are nothing short of a propaganda machine. It is a country with large swathes of the population who are insular looking loonies who genuinely believe the drivel they are fed. And the scale is absolutely shocking.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

The trouble with anything from America is half the scandals are completely made up. And I don't mean in relation to Clinton specifically. Just generally.

The right wing American media are nothing short of a propaganda machine. It is a country with large swathes of the population who are insular looking loonies who genuinely believe the drivel they are fed. And the scale is absolutely shocking.
Sure you're not talking about the UK?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Does it apply to interviews with people like Pamela Anderson though? Its not like its biased coverage of news items. Its asking a celebrity their opinion.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:56 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Does it apply to interviews with people like Pamela Anderson though? Its not like its biased coverage of news items. Its asking a celebrity their opinion.
It does. The whole news coverage, in general and just prior to this interview was very anti Trump. Then afterwards, a wholly irrelevant interview became a "oh she's American let's ask her several questions re Trump". It's not what she was there for and she wasn't asked about Clintons emails for example.

I shouldn't really care, Trumps a misogynistic berk but it's unbecoming of the Beeb to behave like this imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:09 am

Is it? They owe no duty at all to American politicians. Ace he's beyond the pale. The worst that she's done (emails? Come on. The Bosnia stuff would be career ending here, mind). But he's incomparable. To present then remotely as "on the one hand this but on the other hand that" would be beyond the pale even for the "let's hear climate change deniers' point of view" BBC.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:17 am

Oh fcuk off.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:21 am

Prufrock wrote:Oh fcuk off.
Dark times. I look forward to him pulling back on all his ludicrous policy ideas.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:18 am

When will you liberal, snobbish, know better than anyone else types, wake up and smell the coffee?

People are getting a good insight into the type of world you are pushing for and don't like it, one bit.

Trump, Brexit, a knackered Labour party, anti-migrant views are all a result of being told we have to love everyone else, pay for them, never tell them a few home truths without the threat of court actions, Christ it's like the leftie liberals are doing the jobs of the priests and vicars then getting really nasty and spiteful when called out.

You want more Trumps? then carry on with your little flurries snowflakes.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:43 am

Nearly everyone is this pic looks the archetypal snowflake, those whose limited views and world experience should be avoided at all costs.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:54 am

Hoboh wrote:When will you liberal, snobbish, know better than anyone else types, wake up and smell the coffee?

People are getting a good insight into the type of world you are pushing for and don't like it, one bit.

Trump, Brexit, a knackered Labour party, anti-migrant views are all a result of being told we have to love everyone else, pay for them, never tell them a few home truths without the threat of court actions, Christ it's like the leftie liberals are doing the jobs of the priests and vicars then getting really nasty and spiteful when called out.

So denigrating muslims, mexicans and women is what you're shooting for?

The politicians have an awful lot to answer for, but lets look at the type of people you and your angry types are turning to:

Donald Trump - reality tv star narcissist whose strength is his dubious business background. A racist misogynist etc etc.
Nigel Farage - the public school boy ex-banker millionaire anti establishment figure.
Boris Johnson - rich public school boy that says anything and does anything to get what he wants.
Marine Le Pen - racist etc etc.

In what way will any of these people and their ilk do for you and your angry types? They don't give a shit about anyone but themselves and have nothing in their history to suggest they will make anything better.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:07 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Hoboh wrote:When will you liberal, snobbish, know better than anyone else types, wake up and smell the coffee?

The politicians have an awful lot to answer for, but lets look at the type of people you and your angry types are turning to:

Donald Trump - reality tv star narcissist whose strength is his dubious business background. A racist misogynist etc etc.
Nigel Farage - the public school boy ex-banker millionaire anti establishment figure.
Boris Johnson - rich public school boy that says anything and does anything to get what he wants.

In what way will any of these people and their ilk do for you and your angry types? They don't give a shit about anyone but themselves and have nothing in their history to suggest they will make anything better.
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Typical!

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:09 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:The politicians have an awful lot to answer for, but lets look at the type of people you and your angry types are turning to:

The new-ish Philippino President fits into that list.

It's definitely a new kind of politics where thoughtful reasoning gets drowned out by outlandish twitter-friendly statements.

Gotta take your hat off to Trump tho. Andrew O'Neil said last night when Trump went to Michigan after they had some kind of drinking water contamination he said something like... "20 years ago we made cars here and you couldn't drink the water in Mexico. Now they make cars in Mexico and you can't drink the water here." It's brilliant! There's nothing a sensible person can counter that with.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:17 am

Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Typical!
Come on then, tell us what it is these people are going to do for the people voting for them?

You seem to want a world where denigrating people for where they come from and their gender is considered ok, whilst finding it amusing that I want a world where it doesn't matter where you come from, or who you are; you get a fair shot and are treated with respect and dignity. A world where you don't blame others for your own problems and inadequacies.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:20 am

The trouble is that the 'change' candidates aren't actual change. Trump a man who made his fortunes benefitting from Reaganomics.

He's a sheep in wolves clothing. Sadly he's also a dangerous one.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:The trouble is that the 'change' candidates aren't actual change. Trump a man who made his fortunes benefitting from Reaganomics.

He's a sheep in wolves clothing. Sadly he's also a dangerous one.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:39 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Typical!
Come on then, tell us what it is these people are going to do for the people voting for them?

You seem to want a world where denigrating people for where they come from and their gender is considered ok, whilst finding it amusing that I want a world where it doesn't matter where you come from, or who you are;you get a fair shot and are treated with respect and dignity. A world where you don't blame others for your own problems and inadequacies.
His core message about putting the USA first is probably what did for Clinton and her dodgy global money making backers.

Blame others for problems? Too right, all the folk like Dyson etc. who shut down factories to move them to low pay low privilege countries to make a fast buck are the ones to blame, read the labels where most of the stuff you consume comes from.
The citizens of the US are suffering this globalisation just as much as any of us and still Being expected to pay for the worlds problems and they have simply had enough.

Dignity and respect? Tell that to the residents of the former coalfields, those with ship yards in their town or God forbid a steel works who get told they have to pay for problems folk overseas have caused.

Oh and before I forget, calling millions of voters virtual nut cases because you don't agree with their views hardly helps win elections either, proved to be the case in Brexit and now the US election, the French and German ones should be interesting.
Germany, who welcomes migrants then builds 3 metre walls around their lodgings.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:06 am

And now the snow storm seems to have started.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ogressives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These people do not realise they are just stirring up further distrust of anything they do and antagonising the electorate.