The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:24 am

Time though. The sleaze stuff isn't going away and I think it's notable that they're getting crucified even on the front pages of the Daily Mail. It could be the sort of thing that blows over, maybe even probably will, but I think there's a good chance that it doesn't and once that narrative is there it's hard to change. There's a lot of other stuff boiling away under the surface, and lots tied directly to Johnson. Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, Brexit and NI, handling of Covid. Lots of big bombs between here and the next GE.

There are big arguments against too, you've flagged a couple (and yeah, I'll give you 2015, tbf) but I wouldn't rule it out.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:10 am

And who would you rather have had in charge of the purse strings through Covid - Rishi Sunak or the hapless Anneliese Dodds?

Until there's a voteable alternative, as BWFC-I attests, they'll win again regardless.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:37 pm

Rachel Reeves :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:37 pm
And I'm yet to be convinced by this one either.

Could be worse though - Angela Rayner proclaimed the other day that "A fish rots from the head up". Does it now? :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:52 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Could be worse though - Angela Rayner proclaimed the other day that "A fish rots from the head up". Does it now? :D
Any more of this, they'll set Rebecca on you.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Whatever happened to wrong daily? she sank faster than the titanic.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:00 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:10 am
And who would you rather have had in charge of the purse strings through Covid - Rishi Sunak or the hapless Anneliese Dodds?

Until there's a voteable alternative, as BWFC-I attests, they'll win again regardless.
They'll win but not because they are the best option but because their trick is now just dogwhistling the Brexit 'we don't like foreigners' vote. And rigging the system in their favour via boundary changes and control of the media. Also stripping away courts power.

I cannot in any way countenance any right minded person thinking the Tories, utterly corrupt, morally bankrupt and seeking a one party state are in any way the best option.

I think every other mainstream political leader in this country would be infinitely better. The problem they have is that vote is split across groups of angry people who can't agree on owt.

The economy is a complete mess too. 11 years of the Tories and they've spent and spent and spent and now are spending infinite amounts of money because politically they can't afford not to. And who picks up the bill? I've literally no idea. Covid was a disaster and of course they needed to offer support to the country. But as that is examined we see the stripped away the rules and handed over billions of pounds to their 'mates' money that we've seen nothing from and never will.

For me this is easily the worst position we've ever been in by a long long stretch in my lifetime.

Rachel Reeves or Sunak - individually who cares - but politically - Reeves because she's not beholden to the corruption.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:24 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:20 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Whatever happened to wrong daily? she sank faster than the titanic.
She's still trying to work out what she actually said in the Deputy Leaders debate about how the proposed policies were going to be funded....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:48 am

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:17 pm

These sort of stories are coming our every day now, with regards to illegal working from Tory MP's and Boris himself - This is pretty bad reading, but as ever, absolutely nothing will come of it

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-watchdog
The contemporaneous diary excerpts, disclosed in the Observer last week by the journalist John Ware, reveal how Johnson allegedly overruled the advice of staff to promote the business interests of Arcuri and win her affections.
The latest developments into allegations that Johnson offered to help Arcuri launch her tech business while simultaneously pursuing her for sex will pile more pressure on the prime minister
Her evidence is potentially even more critical because the original IOPC inquiry was also hampered by the deletion of key email and phone records at City Hall that prevented the watchdog from “reviewing relevant evidence”.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:44 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:17 pm
These sort of stories are coming our every day now, with regards to illegal working from Tory MP's and Boris himself - This is pretty bad reading, but as ever, absolutely nothing will come of it

The contemporaneous diary excerpts, disclosed in the Observer last week by the journalist John Ware, reveal how Johnson allegedly overruled the advice of staff to promote the business interests of Arcuri and win her affections.
The latest developments into allegations that Johnson offered to help Arcuri launch her tech business while simultaneously pursuing her for sex will pile more pressure on the prime minister
Her evidence is potentially even more critical because the original IOPC inquiry was also hampered by the deletion of key email and phone records at City Hall that prevented the watchdog from “reviewing relevant evidence”.
The Tory party are preparing to get rid of Boris. Possibly before Christmas. That’s why all these stories are out. And the huge coverage of his bungled and embarrassing speech today. He’s done hundreds of those. But today the Tory party wants people to know.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:44 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:17 pm

The Tory party are preparing to get rid of Boris. Possibly before Christmas. That’s why all these stories are out. And the huge coverage of his bungled and embarrassing speech today. He’s done hundreds of those. But today the Tory party wants people to know.
A very good point...

This just about sums up everybody's feelings.. https://twitter.com/BBCRosAtkins/status ... 1944948737
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:54 pm

Might this explain why Dominic Raab's never off the television just now? I do hope not.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:54 pm
Might this explain why Dominic Raab's never off the television just now? I do hope not.
Don't worry, he'll be off on holiday again when the next crisis comes and that won't be long.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:22 am

Looks like Johnson's sell by date has expired, problem is who will replace him? None of that bunch in the cabinet or former leadership candidates are up to the job someone suggested Tipsy Truss, I had to sit down quickly.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:46 am

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:22 am
Looks like Johnson's sell by date has expired, problem is who will replace him? None of that bunch in the cabinet or former leadership candidates are up to the job someone suggested Tipsy Truss, I had to sit down quickly.
Cheese, Grommet. Worse at maths than Diane Abbott.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:20 am

I noticed Bruce's 'piece' has been round embarrassing us on the international stage.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 76711.html

I'm not sure they even realise how bad they are. None of them are fit for office. None.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:20 am

Hoboh wrote:
C'mon she's ace. She's been opening up new pork markets for years.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:20 am
Bruce's 'piece' :roll:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:32 pm

Hoboh wrote:
I've posted similar before. Across all parties there appears to be a real lack of bright, charismatic potential leaders. As recently as 10 or 15 years ago there were 3 or 4 strong leadership contenders in each party, now I just dont see any.

You'd think anyone would be an improvement on Bozo Boris but if Liz Truss is being touted as suitable, we really are fecked.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"