The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 pm

He's trying to win a leadership contest he's the favourite for and, as importantly, get a majority on the NEC. He should be triangulating ace saying little, it's what grown ups do.

We'll see where he eventually ends up, s bit of my worries he's drunk the kool-aid, but can't tell yet. We're somehow only halfway through!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 pm
He's trying to win a leadership contest he's the favourite for and, as importantly, get a majority on the NEC. He should be triangulating ace saying little, it's what grown ups do.

We'll see where he eventually ends up, s bit of my worries he's drunk the kool-aid, but can't tell yet. We're somehow only halfway through!
Or perhaps he never was the centre left poster boy people thought - his history doesn't really suggest he is. I think he's a leftie, but not accepted by many of them given he's a) a middle class white man and b) staunch EU supporter.....

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 am
Prufrock wrote:

Or perhaps he never was the centre left poster boy people thought - his history doesn't really suggest he is. I think he's a leftie, but not accepted by many of them given he's a) a middle class white man and b) staunch EU supporter.....
And looks like a Thunderbird puppet?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:40 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Good News, surely - we need more Thunderbirds...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 am

Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

What does Boris look like? Not really sure how people look is all that relevant.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:47 am

Hobes has to give everyone a playground badge - otherwise it's just not real. Leave him to giggle to himself over it. :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 am
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

What does Boris look like? Not really sure how people look is all that relevant.
I've said it before I'll say it again Spammer looks like the type who would lie quite happily and no I don't trust lawyers let alone lawyers who wannabe politicians.
Lawyers spin yarns everyday in court whilst defending the indefensible so the last thing you need is one of these prats in charge.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:13 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 am
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

I've said it before I'll say it again Spammer looks like the type who would lie quite happily and no I don't trust lawyers let alone lawyers who wannabe politicians.
Lawyers spin yarns everyday in court whilst defending the indefensible so the last thing you need is one of these prats in charge.
And again - we have a serial liar in number 10 right now. Demonstrably. And you don't seem concerned.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:06 pm

I do find the whole thing a bit ludicrous. He's a lawyer and I think he might lie is more of a problem than the bloke actually min office that is a proven serial liar. I hear this sort of thing all the time. Folk more worried about what someone might be , usually based on prejudice, than the person proven to be that same thing. No wonder things are so fecked up.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm

It also completely misunderstands the role of lawyers. Dodgy apples aside (and the former DPP is not a dodgy apple) lawyers cannot lie to courts and anyone found to do so would have disciplinary action taken against them and likely struck off.

Yes they often argue that certain facts don't mean what they clearly do, yes they'll often use casuistry to muddle seemingly clear issues, but not lying. The reason they use those tactics is often precisely because they cannot lie.

Not really a relevant factor for a political leader as you aren't bound by rules of evidence.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 pm
It also completely misunderstands the role of lawyers. Dodgy apples aside (and the former DPP is not a dodgy apple) lawyers cannot lie to courts and anyone found to do so would have disciplinary action taken against them and likely struck off.

Yes they often argue that certain facts don't mean what they clearly do, yes they'll often use casuistry to muddle seemingly clear issues, but not lying. The reason they use those tactics is often precisely because they cannot lie.

Not really a relevant factor for a political leader as you aren't bound by rules of evidence.
They cannot even be said to be economical with the truth :lol:
They do lie except in the wonderful way they term lying but not lying. When some tool sticks a knife into someone, clearly on CCTV for example it is a blatant lie to say he didn't. And you wonder why traffic wardens are more popular, hell even the taxman is given a run for his money :box:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:30 pm

I sometimes wonder what goes on inside there. :-)

So in summary we have two women who Hobes won't vote for and one man who he won't vote for either.

But bloke with a long track record of economies of truth - no problem - get's Hobe's seal of approval. That doesn't sound to me like "lying" is a particular issue for you.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 pm

Seems the Abbot saw the writing on the wall.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:11 am

Government needs to get a grip on a few fronts.

It's fine announcing rescue packages, but they need something to back them up. Like how they work. Daughter got laid off yesterday as there's too little business coming through the door, and behind the headlines nothing much has changed - she'll be fine, lives at home - I despair as to how anyone would cope if their only source of food was through money from Universal Credit.

On the "fight the disease" front, as everyone else goes into a compulsory lockdown, we're still sending kids to school and hoping that people have the nouse to socially distance themselves. Health Secretary has said if Govt advice isn't followed, our fight will last longer. Given that it's not being followed universally, they need to help people make the right decisions through enforcement. Come off the fcuking fence, close pubs and restaurants etc.

We've allowed arseholes to walk out of shops with 90 day supplies of bog rolls and stood idly by, whilst all the time, we've been dithering - issued no guidance to Supermarkets, that I'm aware of - left it "to the market".

I get the "delay the peak" approach - buy some time - I don't understand why the measures we're putting in place to do it, are not backed up by very much of anything.

/Rant off.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:22 am

Get yourself off down the local.

:wink:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:46 am

If anyone needs a bog roll just shout. I've got loads up here 8)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:47 am

Enoch wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:22 am
Get yourself off down the local.

:wink:
Landlord posted a video yesterday around 15:00 when it's normally starting to get busy as parents nip in to douse the pain before picking up their bin lids.

There was only him in.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:24 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:46 am
What's the carriage charge?

:D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:37 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:24 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Depends how big your carriage is. :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:50 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:37 am
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:24 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Depends how big your carriage is. :-)

9am this morning people were wandering out of the local ASDA stacked up with booze, so I nipped in for a couple :D TBH don't drink that much now but I got some in case :lol: :lol: :lol: