The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm just pointing out that, whilst they've not been highly accurate (did anyone think they were anyway?), many have been within the reasonable bounds they set for themselves.

Remember, in FPTP, percentage of votes doesn't easily equate to number of seats.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:33 pm
Pretty much within the 3% stated tolerance though.
19 times out of 20 as well.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:58 am

Theresa May told a nurse last night complaining that her pay in real terms was the same as it was in 2009 that 'there isn't a magic money tree' and that the public sector pay freeze and subsequent sub inflation 1% pay rises were necessary.

Perhaps she could explain to everyone then why MP's enjoyed a 10% pay rise two years ago and then 1.4% rise again last year. Seems there is at least 'one magic money tree' somewhere.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Is anyone still debating their mentalism?

I know there'll be a few fanatics out there, but surely this election has shown them to be the B grade clowns that we all suspected they were?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:22 pm

I do think, if say Kier Starmer had been leading, there'd be a proper two party race on. I still think Corbyn is unelectable to too many people and bumbles inanely around his past and the "red button", but you can clearly see why May has been hidden away, she's a complete bumbling fcukwit too. No Fck has any notion whether she'd press the red button either because it would change by the week.

Watching QT I was pissing myself at the questions around whether we'd mutually wipe each other out, I suspect from the same people watching May propose the dementia tax, which even in today's society has a much larger chance of occurrence during the next Parliament, asked by the doddering geriatrics that are probably much closer to the business end of it. I can only assume they already have their assets tied up elsewhere...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:26 pm

When you're pitching Boris and Diane as senior ministers it goes to show what a farce the country really is.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:22 pm
I do think, if say Kier Starmer had been leading, there'd be a proper two party race on. I still think Corbyn is unelectable to too many people and bumbles inanely around his past and the "red button", but you can clearly see why May has been hidden away, she's a complete bumbling fcukwit too. No Fck has any notion whether she'd press the red button either because it would change by the week.

Watching QT I was pissing myself at the questions around whether we'd mutually wipe each other out, I suspect from the same people watching May propose the dementia tax, which even in today's society has a much larger chance of occurrence during the next Parliament, asked by the doddering geriatrics that are probably much closer to the business end of it. I can only assume they already have their assets tied up elsewhere...
Spot on. Though were Starmer Labour leader we'd not be having this election at all.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 am

I'm voting green, found there is a candidate round here, at least I get to use my vote without fear of the bugger being elected.
May ain't Thatcher and I don't trust her to tell Merkel to sod off,
Corbyn's Corbyn with the biggest bunch of losers you could imagine
and Farron? I ain't stopped laughing yet!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:42 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 am
I'm voting green, found there is a candidate round here, at least I get to use my vote without fear of the bugger being elected.
May ain't Thatcher and I don't trust her to tell Merkel to sod off,
Corbyn's Corbyn with the biggest bunch of losers you could imagine
and Farron? I ain't stopped laughing yet!
I told you you were voting Green pages ago :wink:

I'd trust the Greens duo to run the country better than any other the other options available, just a pity they don't get the media airtime that the other parties do and get more MPs.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

What is this obsession with Kier Starmer? Is it that he has the same first name as that classic comedian Hardy?
Starmer was a poor DPP and made several politically biased decisions when in office, as one would expect of a dedicated Labour supporter.
Having watched a few of his interviews over the last two or three weeks he comes across as an identikit politician without an original thought in his head. Which is par for the course.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:46 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

What is this obsession with Kier Starmer? Is it that he has the same first name as that classic comedian Hardy?
Starmer was a poor DPP and made several politically biased decisions when in office, as one would expect of a dedicated Labour supporter.
Having watched a few of his interviews over the last two or three weeks he comes across as an identikit politician without an original thought in his head. Which is par for the course.
Probably more electable than Corbyn. Hardly an obsession, is all.

Having seen May in a couple of set piece telly box events, I wouldn't have her delivering my milk.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:46 pm
bedwetter2 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Probably more electable than Corbyn. Hardly an obsession, is all.

Having seen May in a couple of set piece telly box events, I wouldn't have her delivering my milk.

I'd have to agree with you re. May. Distinctly underwhelming.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:24 pm

I listened to Kier Starmer a few weeks ago giving a speech on the economy. He really did not come across very well at all. He might be intelligent and a possible future Labour leader but at the moment he is not. He needs more experience in the limelight before he is ready for the big job.

The thought of Corbyn, McDonnell​ and Abbott in charge of this country backed by the SNP and the union's scares the hell out of me. I hope Labour get trounced so they can have a clean slate and start again. A weak and as far as I am concerned, unelectable opposition is not good for this country.

By the way, I have been a Labour supporter most of my life but I'm not sure if I will ever vote for them again.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:13 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:24 pm
I listened to Kier Starmer a few weeks ago giving a speech on the economy. He really did not come across very well at all. He might be intelligent and a possible future Labour leader but at the moment he is not. He needs more experience in the limelight before he is ready for the big job.

The thought of Corbyn, McDonnell​ and Abbott in charge of this country backed by the SNP and the union's scares the hell out of me. I hope Labour get trounced so they can have a clean slate and start again. A weak and as far as I am concerned, unelectable opposition is not good for this country.

By the way, I have been a Labour supporter most of my life but I'm not sure if I will ever vote for them again.
Frankly anyone could give May a run for her money. Shes useless. So much so that even Corbyn has started scoring points off her.

The idea that we will be better off under her and the Tories is ludicrous.

We are stuffed either way. 5 years of May and Tory rule though are the most unpalatable thing right now.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:38 pm

May scares the shit out of me. She looks like she hasn't a f*cking clue as to what's going on. She reminds me of a couple of bosses I've worked for - they were useless and totally out of their depth too. The only hope we have right now for some kind of sanity is for a hung Parliament.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:38 pm
May scares the shit out of me. She looks like she hasn't a f*cking clue as to what's going on. She reminds me of a couple of bosses I've worked for - they were useless and totally out of their depth two. The only hope we have right now for some kind of sanity is for a hung Parliament.
Funnily enough I was talking to someone the other day and we both commented how May reminds us of the bad boss. Doesn't know what they are doing and tries to talk tough to cover up their inadequacies.

Sadly she will walk a majority. Don't believe the polls, it isn't going to be that close.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:38 pm
May scares the shit out of me. She looks like she hasn't a f*cking clue as to what's going on. She reminds me of a couple of bosses I've worked for - they were useless and totally out of their depth too. The only hope we have right now for some kind of sanity is for a hung Parliament.
A hung parliament probably means a Labour and SNP coalition. I don't want Sturgeon anywhere near Downing Street. I'd rather have UKIP in there than SNP.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:56 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:14 pm
I'd rather have UKIP in there than SNP.
Oh definitely. I certainly prefer my politicians to offer intolerance and hatred over say, free hospital parking.... :roll:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:59 pm

I realise that's the Tories bogeyman-under-the-bed threat, but it's groundless. Labour and SNP have far more to contest, given the Tories lack of any meaningful support north of the border. You're not going in to coalition with your main opposition, particularly one who has recently destroyed a whole swathe of your hitherto rock-solid support.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:03 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:59 pm
I realise that's the Tories bogeyman-under-the-bed threat, but it's groundless. Labour and SNP have far more to contest, given the Tories lack of any meaningful support north of the border. You're not going in to coalition with your main opposition, particularly one who has recently destroyed a whole swathe of your hitherto rock-solid support.
Tories will likely be second party in Scotland. They are likely to take a number of SNP seats there.

They are now considered the SNP opposition up there not Labour, who are essentially dead in the water in Scotland.