The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:27 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:02 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:38 pm
I reckon Putin will roll into Ukraine, install his own puppet regime and then roll out again, having set not one foot onto NATO soil. And we in the West will watch him do it whilst the bods on high get richer on the back of rocketting Gas, Wheat, Oil etc. price increases.
On that note I notice Rees Mogg’s investment firm offloaded their Russian bank shares at huge profit (compared to now) a few weeks hence before the troubles really escalated. Nice tip off there.

There is no end to these peoples greed.
Right, because the sight of heavily armed Russian troops amassing on the borders of Ukraine might not indicate to someone that it's probably a good time to cash in their Russian chips?
Mate, the vitriol you hold towards members of the government is such that it leads you to make utterly fecking ridiculous statements like that above.
People in cabinet profiting from direct Russian Kremlin linked donations and Russian investments. That’s the reality.

But if you think being pretty miffed by that is not right then you can hold that view.

But these aren’t the Tories you’ve voted for all your life, mate. I wish they bloody were. But this is something else.
I was referring to your whole 'tipped-off' bollocks and well you know it. Mate, even Mr Average middle-income me was making enquiries a few weeks ago as to where my pension money is? I'm hardly a Government minister.
Are you more angry by tongue in cheek wording of my post or by the fact that when we needed to have a strong response we found the top levels of our government embroiled with the invaders and their finances?

I genuinely value your opinion on things - I’m not bothered about ditching investments more the fact that they’ve spent a number of years getting into bed with them and as the ship hits the fan they make sure they are ok….

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:47 pm

There's a good read here, Insano...unsurprisingly, it goes back beyond, this Government...back past Cameron, Brown, Blair (and further) and concludes broadly that we have no idea who has what or where it is as it passes through shell companies etc. And even when we know about a (relatively) small amount, that's in the name of Vlad Oligarch, to actually get hold of it, rather than just freeze it, we have to work with Moscow and the people that are perpetrating the crimes to get the proof that any crime has been committed....

Whilst there's a current focus on Russian dirty money, there's plenty more jurisdictions in scope. This is a "system's fcuked" thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/m ... irty-money

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:47 pm
There's a good read here, Insano...unsurprisingly, it goes back beyond, this Government...back past Cameron, Brown, Blair (and further) and concludes broadly that we have no idea who has what or where it is as it passes through shell companies etc. And even when we know about a (relatively) small amount, that's in the name of Vlad Oligarch, to actually get hold of it, rather than just freeze it, we have to work with Moscow and the people that are perpetrating the crimes to get the proof that any crime has been committed....

Whilst there's a current focus on Russian dirty money, there's plenty more jurisdictions in scope. This is a "system's fcuked" thing.

Yes this is absolutely true. Labour have spent the last 6 years asking for the law to be changed so that there is full transparency and to ensure the trail can’t hide behind shell companies.

There was a debate on this the other day between Jess Phillips and Cleverley I think where he tried to say ‘but if we do that then you might find out some money that’s been donated to Labour has a Russian source you didn’t previously know about’ to which the answer was ‘well yes that’s why it’s needed’.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:55 pm

Aye, and a lot of the "writing" on it is terrible. There's a meme that goes round seemingly every fortnite about the fact the JRM's tax haven partnership has paid zero corporation tax. I'll give you a quick second to figure out why that might be.

But the nonsense spouted on it takes away from the fact that you've got gov ministers involved in pretty intense avoidance which is enough of a point in its own. Thought Geoffrey Cox did pretty well to not become a scandal for working his day job advising the govts of a tax haven. Like it was a story but has sort of fallen away when it's...baaaad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:47 pm

Yes this is absolutely true. Labour have spent the last 6 years asking for the law to be changed so that there is full transparency and to ensure the trail can’t hide behind shell companies.

There was a debate on this the other day between Jess Phillips and Cleverley I think where he tried to say ‘but if we do that then you might find out some money that’s been donated to Labour has a Russian source you didn’t previously know about’ to which the answer was ‘well yes that’s why it’s needed’.
I don't think that'll do what you think it might. It's a tax transparency thing, rather than anything that'll help much in understanding who actually owns the money, although it might help find a "nominal owner" in the UK....If we tighten up out of lockstep with the rest of the global economy, people will just hide their dirty money somewhere more beneficial...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:55 pm
Aye, and a lot of the "writing" on it is terrible. There's a meme that goes round seemingly every fortnite about the fact the JRM's tax haven partnership has paid zero corporation tax. I'll give you a quick second to figure out why that might be.

But the nonsense spouted on it takes away from the fact that you've got gov ministers involved in pretty intense avoidance which is enough of a point in its own. Thought Geoffrey Cox did pretty well to not become a scandal for working his day job advising the govts of a tax haven. Like it was a story but has sort of fallen away when it's...baaaad.
Have you got a level 187 Wizard or whatever it is? :-)

Quite, Pru. Too much fluff on dead-ends when there are tangible things that are slipping through the net, largely in the name of "Headlines" (or by today's standards meme's :-) )....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:16 pm

I'm at the pub on my phone during fresh air breaks. I looked at that for ages and knew it looked wrong but all it would suggest was capitalised or not :D and I couldn't quite figure it out..

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:04 pm

If ever there was a time to sneak out that you'd knighted the thoroughly incompetent Gavin Williamson. This was it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:57 pm

Oooooooh, lordy, lordy. Putin's fecked now and no mistake.
I mean, I'm all for shows of unity but do feck off with this shit.

'Sainsbury's renames 'Chicken Kiev' to 'Chicken Kyiv' in solidarity with Ukraine'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:03 pm

Never mind that, the meerkats have been cancelled!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:04 pm

Imagine it being your job to write this fecking drivel
w48c10.jpg
w48c10.jpg (178.93 KiB) Viewed 642 times

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:22 pm

More important. We've sent Priti Patel to Poland to meet some "refugees" Isn't that some sort of war crime?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:57 pm

'Sainsbury's renames 'Chicken Kiev' to 'Chicken Kyiv' in solidarity with Ukraine'.
Saw that earlier and I said to myself ‘I bet BR on the wanderer is irritated by that’ and here we go.

It is the ultimate in corporate nonsense to try and find a way to cash in on an absolutely appalling international crisis though. I’m all for them doing stuff to show solidarity but this is just trying to get some free advertising.

Not selling Russian stuff. Fine. Pointless gesturing just to try and cash in on the public mood - irksome.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:35 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Saw that earlier and I said to myself ‘I bet BR on the wanderer is irritated by that’ and here we go.

It is the ultimate in corporate nonsense to try and find a way to cash in on an absolutely appalling international crisis though. I’m all for them doing stuff to show solidarity but this is just trying to get some free advertising.

Not selling Russian stuff. Fine. Pointless gesturing just to try and cash in on the public mood - irksome.
I'm still trying to work out what they've got against Keith?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:03 pm
Surely they're just generically East European? (Not withstanding meerkats being African).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:35 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

This. 100%. And I'm pleased to have not let you down 😁

Seriously though, 'Warwashing'. Something which in itself will see me personally boycott a firm's brands.

Absolutely appalling.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:09 pm

Are we actually living in a real world? Advertising knows no bounds in its stupidity and desire to grasp every opportunity to squeeze people dry.. At a time when possible full scale war is looming threateningly, thousands homeless and dying in Ukraine,and the energy departments here prepare to land the citizens with a " Heat or eat" option in a month, with worse to come in October we hear, prime time T.V (and any other time) tells us to book our exotic holidays , order our new B.M.W s, Audis and Mercedes cars, etc, etc etc, as if the golden goose is laying blessings by the minute and tomorrow never comes. Oh, by the way, your Virgin Media , Sky etc subscriptions will be going up shortly,
just thought we'd let you know!. Hands everywhere want a bigger slice of the pie.

Meanwhile in reprisal,we ( well. our French allies?) (tell a Russian (who I presume lives over here with the rest of the Abramovich social club,that he can't sail his six hundred million dollar yacht till his mate, Genghis "who said I can't" behaves himself.

Yes, it's a rant and will achieve not a jot, but I'm allowed to ask...I think.. :(

Amen. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:36 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Surely they're just generically East European? (Not withstanding meerkats being African).
No idea! But when I was growing up they all had Upper East Side accents (Timon in the Lion King). Now they're all Russian. Seems the cold war went differently for them.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:09 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:36 pm
Prufrock wrote:
No idea! But when I was growing up they all had Upper East Side accents (Timon in the Lion King). Now they're all Russian. Seems the cold war went differently for them.
Shame the brilliant Meerkats ae even affected with such nonsense,, but Russian they are every one..

Aleksandr Orlov
Sergei - Aleksandr's assistent who seldom speaks.
Oleg -
Vassily
Maiya -
Bogdan -
Yakov -
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:43 pm

Hoboh in agreement with Graham Stringer!
Help, I need to lay down.