The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:08 pm
Not sure there's quite enough there to hang the fcuker...
He’s being investigated by the police for a number of incidents that broke laws his government introduced. That’s now confirmed. No PM in history would come close to surviving that alone.

So the only issue is the Tory party who only care for their own self preservation are the only ones who can get rid of him.

But I do think looking at polls, and the fact we are in an incredibly unusual position of LOTO having a sizeable lead for best PM - it would be very very hard for the Tories to win with him in charge. Their problem is there is nobody else. Sunak not popular with their members. Truss discredited. Tugenhat put his name forwards…he’s one of the good ones…but nobody knows who he is….
Not me that needs to be convinced me owd mucker...

I'm just not sure yet, there's enough in there to convince the 57 spineless, that need convincing...especially when their "levelling up" budgets are being threatened.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:20 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:08 pm
Not sure there's quite enough there to hang the fcuker...
He’s being investigated by the police for a number of incidents that broke laws his government introduced. That’s now confirmed. No PM in history would come close to surviving that alone.

So the only issue is the Tory party who only care for their own self preservation are the only ones who can get rid of him.

But I do think looking at polls, and the fact we are in an incredibly unusual position of LOTO having a sizeable lead for best PM - it would be very very hard for the Tories to win with him in charge. Their problem is there is nobody else. Sunak not popular with their members. Truss discredited. Tugenhat put his name forwards…he’s one of the good ones…but nobody knows who he is….
Not me that needs to be convinced me owd mucker...

I'm just not sure yet, there's enough in there to convince the 57 spineless, that need convincing...especially when their "levelling up" budgets are being threatened.
You know what? I think there was already more than enough to get the 54 needed. They haven’t because I don’t think they are confident they would win. And like Trump they are scared of what happens when they don’t….

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:51 pm

Well what a load of tosh he's just waffled...Jesus.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:17 pm

Not really sure you can watch that as a tory mp/voter and have confidence. He is fooked.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:26 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:17 pm
Not really sure you can watch that as a tory mp/voter and have confidence. He is fooked.
Anyone that's not already lost their faith in him, clearly aren't ever going to do so
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:32 pm

Wasn’t expecting Johnson to bring Jimmy Saville up, but there we go.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:47 pm

jimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:32 pm
Dead cat + Table...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:01 pm

Anyone watching that and deciding Starmer isn’t infinitely better as a leader than the entire Tory front bench combined shouldn’t be allowed out the house.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:47 pm
jimbo wrote:
Dead cat + Table...
It’s a strange environment where he can make that incorrect accusation against Starmer yet no one is allowed to call him a liar.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:56 pm

jimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:47 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Dead cat + Table...
It’s a strange environment where he can make that incorrect accusation against Starmer yet no one is allowed to call him a liar.
Quite - He also seemed to forget Jimmy Saville was a Tory Voter....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:56 pm
jimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:47 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Dead cat + Table...
Quite - He also seemed to forget Jimmy Saville was a Tory Voter....
It’s a myth that has been spread by far right extremist groups on social media. Johnson has spent a career dogwhistling these people.

And I am astounded that anyone can turn round and tell me this isn’t the sort of propaganda that existed in certain European countries in the 1930’s. It’s exactly the same tactic. Lies upon lies. Deflection after deflection. Whilst behind the scenes they pull apart our democracy.

It’s truly horrific what we’ve become. And I’m also fairly angry that the line used to tar decent people with ‘well they are all at it’, is allowed to pass. Theresa May was a hopeless PM. But I don’t think she broke the law. Lied about it then used far right smears to deflect from her opposition.

This isn’t a minor thing. This isn’t about cake.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:23 pm

I think part of the problem is, Keir said nothing wrong, there were many great words in there...but it's like being savaged by your favourite Auntie, who say's "don't do that" and leaves you to get on with it anyhow...

And as an aside, the Met have just said their investigation (that they've been given the evidence for, because they didn't have any evidence) won't take "longer than a year" - I mean really?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:23 pm
I think part of the problem is, Keir said nothing wrong, there were many great words in there...but it's like being savaged by your favourite Auntie, who say's "don't do that" and leaves you to get on with it anyhow...

And as an aside, the Met have just said their investigation (that they've been given the evidence for, because they didn't have any evidence) won't take "longer than a year" - I mean really?
Starmer is receiving near universal praise for what he said. I’m not being funny but people died. People couldn’t watch their loved ones die. It’s not about pantomime in Parliament it’s about pointing out that incredibly sad fact out.

Personally would give Starmer full marks for today. It was absolutely the right tone.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:42 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:23 pm

Starmer is receiving near universal praise for what he said. I’m not being funny but people died. People couldn’t watch their loved ones die. It’s not about pantomime in Parliament it’s about pointing out that incredibly sad fact out.

Personally would give Starmer full marks for today. It was absolutely the right tone.
Oh I thought what he said was very good. Don't mistake that, mate.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:53 pm

Cannot stand the bloke but I take my hat off to Blackford, well said sir, now pee off back to the far north.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:10 pm

Wallpaper stripper, £30 @ B&Q.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:28 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:53 pm
Cannot stand the bloke but I take my hat off to Blackford, well said sir, now pee off back to the far north.
Not sure he contributed much but it was spectacle. We all know Johnson is lying continuously.

Hoyle is a disgrace as speaker. A literal disgrace.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:53 pm

What's Hoyle done? (Or not done?)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:53 pm
He does absolutely nothing to hold ministers to account and hides behind his role. But the fact is that when the executive are rotten the speaker could step up and stop giving them an easy ride. Bercow did it. Hoyle seems happy to keep his role and let Johnson lie without consequence.

Shows no backbone. His role is fine in normality. This is not normality.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:25 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:53 pm
He does absolutely nothing to hold ministers to account and hides behind his role. But the fact is that when the executive are rotten the speaker could step up and stop giving them an easy ride. Bercow did it. Hoyle seems happy to keep his role and let Johnson lie without consequence.

Shows no backbone. His role is fine in normality. This is not normality.
He's challenged Johnson a number of times when lies have been shown (or economies of truth as we can't use the l-word), but it's not his job to go and ferret out when Johnson may or may not have lied other than within House procedures. And I'm not sure I'd want a speaker to hold ministers to account, other than on matters of procedure...

You can't just boost the role of the Speaker, coz you don't like the Government.