The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:55 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:48 pm
Lord Kangana wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:18 pm
We'll soon have elevenpence back Tango! That'll learn them over on the continent! :D
Oh, right, I'll have fish and chips three times then please, pea wet and scraps.. :wink:

( Incidentally, I saw a bloke buy a pack of cigarettes at our local newsagents this morning...£8.there's progress for you ???..kinell, :shock: )
Over a tenner in many places TD...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:31 pm

F*cking decimal.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Sorry, more than 10 guineas.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Ahh goody, another of the "It were miles better in the 50's brigade".
Conversely we now have a whole range of expert, evidence based research available for perusal to you and I. From you know, actual lifelong experts in their respective fields. Knowledge and information is out there and accessible like never before.
Oh, hey, this is good. "Lifelong experts" on what exactly Insaney? Most of them were probably in short pants at best in the post war 50's, and keeping in mind that most that weren't are probably passed on now, comparing almost seventy years ago has what relevance exactly with today? We had chalkboards (note the politically correct terminology) pens and ink, counting frames and mental arithmatic back then, so I doff the cap grand style at keyboards, calculators, computors i-pads and every other progress item of modern technology with due respect.( Gee, I can reply to you in seconds, back in 1950 I'd have had to send you a second -class hand-written letter you'd get two/three days later.) The rest is as relevant as fish and chips at elevenpence. Like I've said, anyone who wants to kick the past should remember their families were part of it. Move on, find solutions for today, not faults with the past, unless you're ninety or so.....are you? :wink:
I'm not trying to kick the past. I'm responding to those who bemoan the present.

The knowledge that is created by researchers across the world is now widely accessible to virtually everyone. 50 years ago it was not. This is a great thing. I don't see it credited as such.

We've made huge progress in many respects. Where I think we've slipped backwards is in compassion and humanity. But I don't think that is the fault of millennials on their own. We all have our part to play. I don't think it helps writing off generations is all.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:02 am
Lord Kangana wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:46 pm
Theresa May has just been on the telly box. As a human being, I feel sorry for her. She looks like she's barely hanging on to her sanity. F*ck knows who or what comes next, but theres no way she's hanging in until autumn.
Was that her interview on Beeb? Was truly awful. It's like someone says to her just before she goes on air "remember these five key responses" but she can only remember one of them.

Clearly a lot of angry affected people looking for support and answers from people who largely seem to be hiding...
Just seen that. Was awful to watch. There's understandable anger but as yet we don't know if the blame lies with the Government and poor legislation, the local authority or the construction company.

Amazes me that someone viewed by the Tories as their best possible leader can come across so inept and do anything to avoid answering the bloody question that she's actually been asked. I was no fan of Cameron but he usually did and said the right things in such situations
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:55 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:48 pm
Lord Kangana wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:18 pm
We'll soon have elevenpence back Tango! That'll learn them over on the continent! :D
Oh, right, I'll have fish and chips three times then please, pea wet and scraps.. :wink:

( Incidentally, I saw a bloke buy a pack of cigarettes at our local newsagents this morning...£8.there's progress for you ???..kinell, :shock: )
Over a tenner in many places TD...
Sheesh, glad I quit when I did. Back in the days when cigs were fashion items for some, the expensive cigs were items like Sobrani Black Russian and Sobrani Cocktail, De Reske and Passing Cloud etc. Cigs of choice amongst the vault and taproom musketeers were Export Woodbines and Senior Service......and then along came Embassy... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:54 pm

I actually would like to know why on earth anyone is 'expected' to turn up the minute a disaster happens?
Surely that detracts from any work the emergency services are doing, having to look after politicians and royals must get in the way.
If I was in a disaster I'd want to know about loved ones and friends, then I'd like to see a nice cuppa, food, clothes and a bloke from the council emergency committee, telling me what was going to happen next, not see May or Compo strolling around hugging people nor silly feckin' Lilly!
Media pushed agenda this is, blaze of publicity, why can they not go later, privately.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Well that bit about food and finding loved ones, getting that cuppa, some food etc. Telling you what's going to happen next. That's the bit they're on about.

Tit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:54 pm
I actually would like to know why on earth anyone is 'expected' to turn up the minute a disaster happens?
Surely that detracts from any work the emergency services are doing, having to look after politicians and royals must get in the way.
If I was in a disaster I'd want to know about loved ones and friends, then I'd like to see a nice cuppa, food, clothes and a bloke from the council emergency committee, telling me what was going to happen next, not see May or Compo strolling around hugging people nor silly feckin' Lilly!
Media pushed agenda this is, blaze of publicity, why can they not go later, privately.
About leadership isn't it. If you are going then at least make an effort to look like you care. Don't just stand around with the emergency services gawping up at the building.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:24 pm
Well that bit about food and finding loved ones, getting that cuppa, some food etc. Telling you what's going to happen next. That's the bit they're on about.

Tit.
So the Pm is supposed to have imeadite answers to every local problem disaster to hand?

Dick!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:43 pm

:D

The PM plus her advisors and influence. Yes. As someone commented, they managed to sort out tangible help for Haiti quicker. The problem seemed to be the things you mentioned. The fact that you did suggests they shouldn't be beyond the wit of the UK government plus all the influence they wield.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:21 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:43 pm

The PM plus her advisors and influence. Yes. As someone commented, they managed to sort out tangible help for Haiti quicker. The problem seemed to be the things you mentioned. The fact that you did suggests they shouldn't be beyond the wit of the UK government plus all the influence they wield.
The way I thought it was supposed to work was the responsible councils were the first link in the chain they have clearly failed.
I would expect the PM nor any of her closest advisors to have little knowledge of availability of shelter etc. Not for a couple of days anyway.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:37 am

There should be localised disaster recovery plans that involve local and national services, councils, charities and other relevant groups. It seems we have plans like this for terror attacks but not much else.

I don't expect the PM to know the nuts and bolts of every situation or scenario, but she has a lot of very expensive advisers, ministers and chiefs of this and that. As soon as it became apparent that it was a major incident she should have had representatives of each of people to brief her on the situation, what they are doing and what is needed. Her advisers should have laid out plans and a timetable for what she needs to do and what she is expected to do. It might be bollocks, but a leader is expected to go and listen to the victims in these situations, say the right things and show some empathy and leadership. It's become patently clear the last 12 months that she's incapable of situations that are unscripted. That's fine for many jobs, but not the prime minister of a country.

As for councils. They are administrative and should have lots of experts for things like planning, environment etc. What they don't have is disaster recovery departments on the off chance something major might happen in a small local area. They'd be sat on their arse 99% of the time and costing money councils don't have. Disaster recovery in a relatively small country should be national, or at least over larger geographic areas and a liaison within each localised area to coordinate and ensure local needs are part of the plan.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:05 am

A spokesman for Mail Online said the article was not out to blame Kebede and that its coverage was in line with that of other media including tabloids such as The Sun

Daily Mail response to another disgraceful article they're associated with. Most important part is where they put themselves on a par with the sun. As some sort of defence.

Now, I've no idea how paper-thin your defence must be, or what moral or intellectual vacuum you exist in to point out the sun did the same, but at least in their own words they're finally admitting to the level they're at.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:56 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:21 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:43 pm

The way I thought it was supposed to work was the responsible councils were the first link in the chain they have clearly failed.
I would expect the PM nor any of her closest advisors to have little knowledge of availability of shelter etc. Not for a couple of days anyway.
I don't think that's incorrect, particularly. When a council fails, you'd maybe expect to hear from the Minister for Communities and Local Government who works for the PM, detailing how they're going to rectify it. She's already said the response hasn't been good enough. When you're PM the fact that these things land on your doorstep is part and parcel.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am

I see they've slipped out the news that next year's Queens Speech is cancelled. To save them the inconvenience of telling out elected representatives what they're looking to legislate on in 2018. Great to see "more transparency" we wanted coming home to local shores from Europe. It's hardly like there's anything important going to be happening...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:08 am

Said it all along, the leave campaign was based around a power grab by a right wing cabal in the Tory party (and fascist Tory, or UKIP as they pretended to call themselves). Shitting themselves that they'll be rumbled soon, so will stop at nothing to railroad it through before the average man/woman in the street realises what's actually happening.

No doubt they'll think of someway of getting the usual idiots to blame Brussels Bureaucrats (boo, hiss, ya boo sucks) for it too. Thank f*ck we've got our sovereignty back. Now, about those human rights....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:41 am

^^ Who would have believed it?

One of the big things they cited was TTIP "the secret deal". The one that had all the documents on an official EU website with the country negotiating positions all laid out, word for word. Here we have a minority government cancelling the Queens Speech. Doesn't get any more transparent than that.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:03 am

TTIP had the most backing from the British Government. We'll get it with or without Europe. I've come to realise people are this stupid.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:37 am
There should be localised disaster recovery plans that involve local and national services, councils, charities and other relevant groups. It seems we have plans like this for terror attacks but not much else.

I don't expect the PM to know the nuts and bolts of every situation or scenario, but she has a lot of very expensive advisers, ministers and chiefs of this and that. As soon as it became apparent that it was a major incident she should have had representatives of each of people to brief her on the situation, what they are doing and what is needed. Her advisers should have laid out plans and a timetable for what she needs to do and what she is expected to do. It might be bollocks, but a leader is expected to go and listen to the victims in these situations, say the right things and show some empathy and leadership. It's become patently clear the last 12 months that she's incapable of situations that are unscripted. That's fine for many jobs, but not the prime minister of a country.

As for councils. They are administrative and should have lots of experts for things like planning, environment etc. What they don't have is disaster recovery departments on the off chance something major might happen in a small local area. They'd be sat on their arse 99% of the time and costing money councils don't have. Disaster recovery in a relatively small country should be national, or at least over larger geographic areas and a liaison within each localised area to coordinate and ensure local needs are part of the plan.
If I remember correctly there are still plans down to local levels, albeit perhaps a little dated and dusty for use in the event of a nuclear attack and some slightly less known ones for civil insurrection. This being the case why can these not be updated and reviewed at hardly earth shattering prices to include unforeseen events such as this? As far as I'm aware there are not highly paid committees sat around scratching their arses 99% of the time.
The priority seems to be rehousing those alive as smoothly as possible to help them rebuild their lives, with as little disruption as possible, surely the plans for what they would do with a hell of a lot more victims in the case of a nuclear attack must exist (even though most people know those who survive would be on their own), surely a scaled down version is possible?
Here's a quick look at what they do.
https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/ou ... ergencies/