The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:42 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:22 am
Might stand for election then, vote for me you won't get any back slapping, back handers, nor parties in no10, the buggers would be too busy. Huge cuts in oversea aid, total reform of legal aid, nuclear power stations galore, fracking and finally telling the Putin supporting EU to do one.
:lol:
Can I pass?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:28 pm
Maybe we need a Margaret Thatcher with today's problems. She had an unenviable era to be P.M of, but she surely couldn't do any worst than what we have now.
Her economic policy is in part why we are here now. Her economics led to most of the country being left to decline for decades. So probably not eh?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:49 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:53 am
The letters to the 1922 are starting to mount up....I'm just not sure the wider parliamentary Tory party will bite the bullet at this point should it get to a trigger level...
Think I'm still here, now vote has been triggered. We live in hope. 180 is a lot to get to dump him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:24 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:49 am
Worthy4England wrote:
The letters to the 1922 are starting to mount up....I'm just not sure the wider parliamentary Tory party will bite the bullet at this point should it get to a trigger level...
Think I'm still here, now vote has been triggered. We live in hope. 180 is a lot to get to dump him.
And there is zero percent chance they reach that. Or even come close.
The only way would be to have got some big cabinet resignations. But it’s all so corrupt and spineless as a political party that they will just limp along dragging the rest of us down with them.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:07 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Be careful what you wish for, owd lad. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:17 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:07 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Isn’t that the Tory party summed up? We promised you a sunkissed beach with endless beautiful views and yes we have put you in a sewer but just be careful what you wish for. It could be worse. Then it gets worse again and whole ‘careful what you wish for’ line is trotted out.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:21 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:17 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Isn’t that the Tory party summed up? We promised you a sunkissed beach with endless beautiful views and yes we have put you in a sewer but just be careful what you wish for. It could be worse. Then it gets worse again and whole ‘careful what you wish for’ line is trotted out.
I mean in terms of the 'likely candidates' to take over. With the exception of Sunak, the others fill me with utter dread.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:24 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:21 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:17 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
I mean in terms of the 'likely candidates' to take over. With the exception of Sunak, the others fill me with utter dread.
We are aligned here. There are good candidates on the backbenches. I mean Morduant isn’t brilliant but is leaps and bounds ahead of Johnson. And I know you like her. Tugenhadt. Wallace even from front bench.

Right now I just want them to clean up. Stop the corruption. Stop the far right nudges and winks. Stop lying. This is the worry though like Trump he’s reduced the standards we accept to the absolute basics of decency.

I think Sunak best placed to do that but Johnson has had his mates destroy his reputation in the media with a smear campaign.

The fact is I say this with caution that it’s unlikely to get worse than Johnson. Possibly unlikely to get too much better either.

But he wins tonight anyway. Limps on. I doubt he fights next GE though unless it’s well under 100 who vote against him.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:54 am

We are indeed aligned. Personally I hope for either Morduant or Sunak, but I'm not confident. And if Johnson's had the brass neck to stick it out this far he's not about to fall on his own sword anytime soon. What an appalling state of affairs.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:01 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Liz Truss - You know it makes sense.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:03 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:01 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Have you ever seen the clips of the speech/address she gave in which she pauses for applause, but doesn't get any?

It's absolutely horrendous.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:05 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:54 am
We are indeed aligned. Personally I hope for either Morduant or Sunak, but I'm not confident. And if Johnson's had the brass neck to stick it out this far he's not about to fall on his own sword anytime soon. What an appalling state of affairs.
For me the best Tory leader would be someone who is honest and brutally so like Elwood. He would change the party and move it back to one that we would recognise from a bygone age.

But I see little chance of that. To succeed you have to pretend and that means telling enough lies to convince yourself and those around you that you actually believe in the things you say. I was sad to see Tugenhadt debase himself this weekend, but expect more of that as the jostling for position no doubt increases for the rest of this year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:03 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Have you ever seen the clips of the speech/address she gave in which she pauses for applause, but doesn't get any?

Yessir...I am particularly enamoured with her ability to get photographed in the exact same pose as Thatcher to almost comic levels. Oh and her support for cheese.

Clear vote winner.

I'm struggling on candidates in either the main parties who might be worthy of my "X"...Your mate Penny was suggesting (along with Farage) Turkey was able to join the EU without our consent, even though we had a veto. Another self serving liar.

I have little faith in the current selection (on either side)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:22 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:16 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:03 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Yessir...I am particularly enamoured with her ability to get photographed in the exact same pose as Thatcher to almost comic levels. Oh and her support for cheese.

Clear vote winner.

I'm struggling on candidates in either the main parties who might be worthy of my "X"...Your mate Penny was suggesting (along with Farage) Turkey was able to join the EU without our consent, even though we had a veto. Another self serving liar.

I have little faith in the current selection (on either side)
We have a political talent drought that is for sure. It’s about picking the least worst options right now.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:27 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:43 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Maybe we need a Margaret Thatcher with today's problems. She had an unenviable era to be P.M of, but she surely couldn't do any worst than what we have now.
Her economic policy is in part why we are here now. Her economics led to most of the country being left to decline for decades. So probably not eh?
Think you might have missed my point here. A Thatcher attitude and toughness is what I referred to, not policies made by Parliament with her at the sharp end. We got Boris Johnson.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:32 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:27 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Think you might have missed my point here. A Thatcher attitude and toughness is what I referred to, not policies made by Parliament with her at the sharp end. We got Boris Johnson.
Coming across with attitude and toughness doesn't impact anyone particularly - they'll either take to it or won't. Policies are made by governments - it's those that count.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:39 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Her attitude drove though policies that have failed the country for decades. I’m not really sure why we’d want that attitude at all. It’s failed us.

I’d say we need to stop picking leaders based on personality and pick on competency and strength of ideas. If you put your money in a bank you want to know the manager knows what he’s doing. Not that he’s got a tough attitude or seems convincing in an interview. I think the flaw we fall into is thinking that how they appear matters over what they are capable of.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:39 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Her attitude drove though policies that have failed the country for decades. I’m not really sure why we’d want that attitude at all. It’s failed us.

I’d say we need to stop picking leaders based on personality and pick on competency and strength of ideas. If you put your money in a bank you want to know the manager knows what he’s doing. Not that he’s got a tough attitude or seems convincing in an interview. I think the flaw we fall into is thinking that how they appear matters over what they are capable of.
Pass.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:42 pm

Wow.

Have a look at this. I don't think I've ever seen a member of any party lead such a scathing attack on one of their own!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:42 pm
Wow.

Have a look at this. I don't think I've ever seen a member of any party lead such a scathing attack on one of their own!
The fact that this utterly immoral, incompetent and deeply unpleasant woman has risen to a cabinet position speaks volumes about the state of this government. Corbyn had a bad shadow cabinet. He didn’t have anyone who came close to plumbing the depths of Nadine Dorries. Her only asset is that she is prepared to lie continually and without hesitation.