The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:58 pm
I hope for all our sakes Sunak can win a leadership contest because at least I believe he’s serious and competent. And we need two years of that desperately. I’m not holding my breath though.
100% where I am.
And this is it. I don’t politically agree with him. But I do at least respect him and his right to have a different view. He’s obviously not representing me but that’s fine.

If we have Sunak and Starmer or Sunak and Cooper or Nandy or any reasonable grown up in labour should Starmer go then whatever the outcome of any future election the country would be run by serious and competent individuals.

If we end up with some nutter in each party which sadly is not all that unlikely then we really are through the looking glass.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:02 pm

Can we not have Nadine for comedy value? I think Sunak blew his chips for me when we found out about his family's "tax efficiencies" (although he seems pretty competent - he also isn't going to be handing out "bail out" tax cuts or other similar policies) - so probably Javid for me - but I think both Sunak and Javid might not get the full support, as they slaughtered the cow. Zahawi might be an on the rails bet...then of course the grassroots faithful seem to like Captain Cheese.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:17 pm

Ahhh, I love the smell of toast in the morning.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:02 pm
Can we not have Nadine for comedy value? I think Sunak blew his chips for me when we found out about his family's "tax efficiencies" (although he seems pretty competent - he also isn't going to be handing out "bail out" tax cuts or other similar policies) - so probably Javid for me - but I think both Sunak and Javid might not get the full support, as they slaughtered the cow. Zahawi might be an on the rails bet...then of course the grassroots faithful seem to like Captain Cheese.
Zahawi has surely blown his chances by taking the chancellor position in this situation? Who on earth would support him when he’s forced the party into more chaos by taking the role in the last days of empire?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:41 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Zahawi has surely blown his chances by taking the chancellor position in this situation? Who on earth would support him when he’s forced the party into more chaos by taking the role in the last days of empire?
If any of the current 'big names' get the job little (much to the delight of Labour) will change, they are all a bunch of lightweights.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:01 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
If any of the current 'big names' get the job little (much to the delight of Labour) will change, they are all a bunch of lightweights.
Electorally I think Rishi could be quite popular. I’m sure that the Labour front bench would least like to be up against him.

But we will see.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:44 pm

Those our clothes in the suitcases Carrie?
No, it's the wallpaper you dope!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
I dunno. I think he'll pitch "someone had to, I was just serving the country" but I mean, they've all supported the liar for three years, including Sunak.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
I dunno. I think he'll pitch "someone had to, I was just serving the country" but I mean, they've all supported the liar for three years, including Sunak.
Yes of course. But he obviously took the job with the judgement there would be a job. His judgement looks appalling if nothing else.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:54 pm

Tax cut budget, anyone?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:49 pm

Johnson is full blown Trump mode now. Doesn’t care how much he damages the country or how many people suffer or indeed how many people end up dying.

Was always going to end this way. The country in a massive black economic hole the likes of which haven’t been seen in generations people unable to afford their basic living costs and Johnson defying everyone and refusing to go because frankly he doesn’t care.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:04 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:44 pm
Those our clothes in the suitcases Carrie?
No, it's the wallpaper you dope!
Noooooooooooooo - we can't afford another lot of wallpaper at today's prices! :D

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:17 am

He's gone (or going later).....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:38 am

dave the minion wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:17 am
I'll believe it when I see the next person in. (But yeah :-) ).

More importantly, who is Carrie going to have to marry next?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:48 am

dave the minion wrote:
Accepting and admitting my political ignorance (due, as ever from choice, to it's lunacy and inmates), is there not a decided "rats leaving a sinking ship" illustration here. Is their disgust really aimed at B.J, or their own weakness and inabilities to actually do their jobs? Maybe getting rid of the lot of them is a blessing, although it's probably just a "next" situation. In truth, what's changed in the last few hundred years? Seems Boris is just the match that lit a whole bonfire of political inability.

In this era of change, maybe a totally fresh start can't be any worse. Someone here mentioned Guy Fawkes; maybe a statue of him to replace a few pretenders (we could start with .....hmm?)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:43 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:48 am
dave the minion wrote:
Accepting and admitting my political ignorance (due, as ever from choice, to it's lunacy and inmates), is there not a decided "rats leaving a sinking ship" illustration here. Is their disgust really aimed at B.J, or their own weakness and inabilities to actually do their jobs? Maybe getting rid of the lot of them is a blessing, although it's probably just a "next" situation. In truth, what's changed in the last few hundred years? Seems Boris is just the match that lit a whole bonfire of political inability.

In this era of change, maybe a totally fresh start can't be any worse. Someone here mentioned Guy Fawkes; maybe a statue of him to replace a few pretenders (we could start with .....hmm?)
I don’t think ‘all as bad as each other is true’. It is true there is a dearth of political talent and heavyweights and it’s in part, not fully, but in part why we’ve ended up with the rampant populist government under Johnson we’ve had to suffer through. But there are definitely politicians on both sides better than the current leadership.

I think there are good people on both sides and much has changed in the last 100 years. The NHS, for all its faults is still absolutely infinitely better than healthcare in 1922. Add to that working conditions, rights, schools, improvements in living standards. Things are better. They just maybe aren’t where we’d like them to be considering it’s 2022 and looking at other countries who seemingly have in the last 100 years surged ahead of us in some ways.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:21 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I hope for all our sakes Sunak can win a leadership contest because at least I believe he’s serious and competent. And we need two years of that desperately. I’m not holding my breath though.
100% where I am.
And this is it. I don’t politically agree with him. But I do at least respect him and his right to have a different view. He’s obviously not representing me but that’s fine.
I was impressed by Attorney General Suella Braverman who, on last night's Peston, calmly ran through a whole host of reasons as to why Johnson's no longer fit for office before being the first person to publicly throw her own cap into the ring.
Peston in 'obvious question but delivered in that supercilious style of his' shocker - 'Well why haven't you resigned on principle?' (you could almost feel the 4ucker winking towards the camera) to which she basically replied, calmly - because the country still needs an Attorney General within a functioning government whilst it gets sorted.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:21 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
100% where I am.
I was impressed by Attorney General Suella Braverman who, on last night's Peston, calmly ran through a whole host of reasons as to why Johnson's no longer fit for office before being the first person to publicly throw her own cap into the ring.
Peston in 'obvious question but delivered in that supercilious style of his' shocker - 'Well why haven't you resigned on principle?' (you could almost feel the 4ucker winking towards the camera) to which she basically replied, calmly - because the country still needs an Attorney General within a functioning government whilst it gets sorted.
She’s completely off her head and also completely incompetent. If we end up with her I despair.

Another far right Brexit lackey prepared to do anything and say anything. If you look at her fellow legal professionals their opinion of her and her competence couldn’t be worse.

Sunak, Wallace, Tugenhadt and Hunt. I could probably live with those. Possibly even Mordaunt though another Brexit liar doesn’t fill me with huge confidence.

After that it’s slim pickings.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:51 am

She’s completely off her head and also completely incompetent. If we end up with her I despair.

Another far right Brexit lackey prepared to do anything and say anything. If you look at her fellow legal professionals their opinion of her and her competence couldn’t be worse.
I'll cross her off the list then :D

I honestly know nowt about her, but she did come across well.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:10 am