The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:09 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:55 am
Hoboh wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:32 am
I'd guess keeping the powder dry on future sanctions is a waste of time now, I really feel for the poor civilians caught up in this, little people to suffer as per usual.
The next thing is what do we do?
Well for starters cutting our armed forces should stop at once, sod paying for all this green stuff we need men and equipment rapidly, who knows how the next few years will pan out after this.
I am really sorry for the Ukraine but frankly there is little short of ww3 if we intervene and no one should forget if Russia gets invaded it is written in their defence to use nukes.
And I thought the weather was going to make this a lousy day!
You and I know there is more chance of Putin spontaneously combusting than us launching any sort of military action against Russia in any way.

The problem is Putin knows that too.

The west won’t fight Russia as the costs are too high. So it’s simply off the table.
It would appear some of these declarations from Putin were recorded on Monday so all the faffing about was pointless.
Yep you are right our hands are tied for now but we need to prepare for post Ukraine today.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:22 am

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:24 am

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:32 am
I'd guess keeping the powder dry on future sanctions is a waste of time now, I really feel for the poor civilians caught up in this, little people to suffer as per usual.
The next thing is what do we do?
Well for starters cutting our armed forces should stop at once, sod paying for all this green stuff we need men and equipment rapidly, who knows how the next few years will pan out after this.
I am really sorry for the Ukraine but frankly there is little short of ww3 if we intervene and no one should forget if Russia gets invaded it is written in their defence to use nukes.
And I thought the weather was going to make this a lousy day!
What are you paying for all this green stuff? That'll help us understand what we could divert to the huge army we need to build....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:15 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:22 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60503037

Looks like you're wrong Hoboh
I think hobes was picking up on suggestions that the statement was pre recorded before sanctions were imposed so they were always going to invade regardless…I think that’s what he meant,.,which seems right to me.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:30 am

Turns out tutting loudly while Russia invade Georgia, then Ukraine once, and assassinate people in other countries, all the while allowing them to launder money left right and centre and allowing yourself to be come dependent on them for energy might not have been the best idea.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:58 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:30 am
Turns out tutting loudly while Russia invade Georgia, then Ukraine once, and assassinate people in other countries, all the while allowing them to launder money left right and centre and allowing yourself to be come dependent on them for energy might not have been the best idea.
Me old man once said, when I was a sprog, something along the lines of "we're fcuked if we ever go to war, because we'd have to ask the people we're fighting to continue to provide the boots" or something akin.

The energy thing is interesting. I mean if we had say a decent alternative generation mechanism that would be a good thing, no? Hobes would rather we ramped up the army and remained reliant on them....

Cut them off SWIFT, is where I'd probably want to be going. They've insulated against this to an extent, but probably not totally.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:27 am

Well I did smile on the green energy point for that reason :D

There are a lot of people with lengthy contact books living the high life outside of Russia who might not be best pleased if suddenly they didn't have access to the Knightsbridge mansion or absolutely fair-gotten riches in Western bank accounts.

But I mean he's been right to bank on their being no real consequences to whatever he does so far. I can see why he'd think the same again.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:31 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:30 am
Who’d have thought it eh?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:34 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:27 am

There are a lot of people with lengthy contact books living the high life outside of Russia who might not be best pleased if suddenly they didn't have access to the Knightsbridge mansion or absolutely fair-gotten riches in Western bank accounts.

But I mean he's been right to bank on their being no real consequences to whatever he does so far. I can see why he'd think the same again.
Aye. NATO is offering sympathy and "we told you this would happen", US prayers and the UK might cut off a few savings accounts...he must be terrified.

China will be queueing up to get into multiple places...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:44 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:34 am
Prufrock wrote:

Aye. NATO is offering sympathy and "we told you this would happen", US prayers and the UK might cut off a few savings accounts...he must be terrified.

Hang on but what about this great game of poker we were playing where after the equivalent of putting the naughty mat in the corner but telling him he doesn’t have to sit on it we are about to unleash our real hand?

Or is it the case that our government is so wound up and entangled with the Kremlin and dodgy Russian money we’ve found ourselves with no hands to play?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:44 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:34 am
Prufrock wrote:

Hang on but what about this great game of poker we were playing where after the equivalent of putting the naughty mat in the corner but telling him he doesn’t have to sit on it we are about to unleash our real hand?

Or is it the case that our government is so wound up and entangled with the Kremlin and dodgy Russian money we’ve found ourselves with no hands to play?
We don't have a poker hand you'd bid on. That was the whole point, irrelevant either way. Pyrrhically, we can now say. Hmm, right, more sanctions for you. So we can probably annoy some individuals...but not much else, unilaterally.

Things that will have some impact but not probably change the direction of travel - stopping gas pipeline (which is already in train), removal from SWIFT network which should cut down in/out investment flows (we're not in charge)

Short of that, it's accept or stand up and be counted.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Boris, the new Winston Churchill....Oh dear...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:54 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:00 am

The ‘well we leave ourselves something in the tank if he’s naughty again’ argument doesn’t really work as you are basically saying you expect him to escalate further.
If you're free over the weekend I'm thinking about arranging a game of Poker.

You'll be very welcome. :shock:
Well Putin just put down a full house whilst we tickled his belly….
The offer still stands as you clearly haven't a clue how to play.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:20 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Boris, the new Winston Churchill....Oh dear...
Can we add to the MetPol questionnaire - "Was any Pol Roget involved, if so how much?" - just to double check?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

The ‘well we leave ourselves something in the tank if he’s naughty again’ argument doesn’t really work as you are basically saying you expect him to escalate further.

Maybe. But I knew what we were doing was a joke and so it transpires.

Not that we are big players or even really significant.

As I say when your government is so wrapped up in dodgy Russian money and indeed the Kremlin itself it’s a bit tricky to do much.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:43 pm

They used to say there were three things wrong about American military forces during World War II; they were over-sexed, over-paid and over here. If Russia is so all-fired wonderful you'd think we'd all be over there? Step up passport control and do away with diplomatic immunity which is a joke anyway.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:31 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

As I say when your government is so wrapped up in dodgy Russian money and indeed the Kremlin itself it’s a bit tricky to do much.
Aye, but today we've been able to announce "BIGLIEST SANCTIONS EVER" :-)

We'd have been fcuked if we'd played both our twos yesterday!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

May as well wheel the nukes out then. feck it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:01 pm

Jeez Louise. Save some ante for tomorrow!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

May as well wheel the nukes out then. feck it.
We’ve rolled our tougher sanctions today that we could have gone with yesterday. As it stands the sanctions today are too late given the thing we were meant to be persuading Putin not to do he’s already done….we all know we can’t use military action so our only option is the toughest sanctions open to us.

As people said to go so light yesterday just gave a warning to those Russian oligarchs and banks to start moving their assets…