The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:22 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:35 pm
Put simply,

The stay at homes will decide the next election.

Figure I might join them and wait for the inevitable melt down.
Of course we wouldn't expect them to be grumbling about their lot, over the course of the next parliament, having disenfranchised themselves....would we Hoboh (I'm looking at you, Sir) :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:10 pm

Police to be given powers to enter premises without a warrant...that won't lead to any abuses of power. Nosiree.

The example given, "they've tracked down a stolen mobile phone GPS signal" is laughable. I'm sure they're sending the Sweeney out for a stolen mobile. Jeez, there aren't enough of them to turn up if you're getting actively burgled half the time.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:10 pm
Police to be given powers to enter premises without a warrant...that won't lead to any abuses of power. Nosiree.

The example given, "they've tracked down a stolen mobile phone GPS signal" is laughable. I'm sure they're sending the Sweeney out for a stolen mobile. Jeez, there aren't enough of them to turn up if you're getting actively burgled half the time.
I thought one just said to the other "did you hear that?", "yeah, sounded like a cry for help to me. Best get in there then".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:10 pm

I did think that. They really do want to paint a picture that it’s still the quaint 1950’s with rolling countryside and a policeman on patrol round every corner.

Recover a mobile phone indeed. What utter nonsense.

Sounds a bit ‘police state’ to me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:33 pm

Yeah mate. Worse, there can't only be me noting the similarity between the Home Sec and the were-rabbit?
20231107_153919.jpg
20231107_153919.jpg (395.61 KiB) Viewed 35576 times

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:13 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:42 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:28 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:56 pm
If Labour is winning Tamworth and Mid Beds the country is pretty sure they're the answer.
Yeah I found it odd that someone fell for the Tory (and Corbyn supporter) propaganda that tried to downplay labours biggest ever bi election wins in history.
Well it doesn't feel like the run up to 97, with a huge momentum behind a charismatic candidate. This is more, to me anyway, voting not Tory, rather than an endorsement of Sir Keir. A mid term by election is one thing, but can he do it on a wet Thursday in Leigh or Hartlepool at a general?
Just noticed this but I mean I don’t really get the comparison to 1997 anyway. It’s not like any given situation has to be 1997. And if we really want to compare - these results are better than anything Labour achieved in the run up to that election in terms of swing….which is the metric that matters. But in 1997 Major had sat on a tiny majority that was gone by 1997 whereas the Tories now have a big majority. The fact is that no party has won an overall majority from the other having a majority so we are sort of in unprecedented times IF Labour are to turn this round.

And ironically although we tend to view history through a certain lens in 1996 after similar sorts of wins the right wing media and Tory press were pumping out this exact line ‘there is no enthusiasm for Blair we just need to mobilise the right wing vote’. There are receipts available for that.

It’s undeniable that enthusiasm for any politician is lower now than then. I also don’t particularly think Starmer is anyone’s first choice or even second or third choice. He is probably the best we will get in the current climate.
Far more of this view than Harry. I think this is potentially extinction level event for the Tories. Fourth (arguably fifth) useless PM in a row, country on its arse. He's so so bad. I think they're doooomed.

And it doesn't get any better in the future. They'll tack wildly right, meanwhile they're polling basically 0% for the under 40s. No-one gives a feck about tuktuks when they can't afford a house.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:36 am

I really hope you're right Pru. Perhaps I'm still mentally scarred by going to bed one May evening in 1992, all giddy at the prospect of chucking em out, and waking up to find the country voted 'stick' rather than 'twist'.

I mean you'd have to be stark raving bonkers to vote for this current lot. Despite those by election results though, when it comes to a GE I'm not convinced as many will switch to Labour.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:20 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:36 am
I really hope you're right Pru. Perhaps I'm still mentally scarred by going to bed one May evening in 1992, all giddy at the prospect of chucking em out, and waking up to find the country voted 'stick' rather than 'twist'.

I mean you'd have to be stark raving bonkers to vote for this current lot. Despite those by election results though, when it comes to a GE I'm not convinced as many will switch to Labour.
For my sins, I was at the "we're alright" Sheffield event...Kinnock's big rah, rah. I can remember being on the coach on the way home thinking "If anything is going to get the Tory's out of bed, it'll be seeing that all over the telly."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:47 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Ha fair. My equivalent is the Ed Miliband is going to win oh god they've won a majority oh god there's going to have to be a referendum.

I think they're going to be wiped out, huge labour victory. But I'm a long way from certain.

Difference is I honestly can't see what Tory voter is getting out of bed for. What are they for? Some will trot along and others will go along to keep out the "Trots", but for the non committed, there's nothing to vote for.

Just had their last King's Speech before an election and there's nothing in it.

And the longer is goes on, and the more people see of Sunak the worse it gets for them. But they kind of have to hold on and hope for a miracle.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:16 am

It's mad that a lot of Tory voters think this Tory government is too Left-Wing!!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:51 am

They're absolute arseholes. Today the PM has said he'll hold the Met Police Chief accountable for anything relating to Palestinian marches on Saturday. Surely that would be the same PM, that sets the laws under which the Met Police Chief has made the judgement he can't actually stop it on any reasonable grounds?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:48 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

The polling in 1991 and 92 was very very different to the poll results we see today though….

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:11 am

Could Sunak manage to look anymore limp if he tried? Once again Tory party being dominated hard right dogma. Scared of their own party.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:10 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:57 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:32 pm
^ Hear hear!
I only found out today that 'A small Eva Braun' is an anagram of Suella Braverman
Amusing but,alas, not accurate. Suella Braverman has 15 letters, 3 a's, 2 r's and 2 e's. 'A small Eva Braun' has 14 letters, 4 a's, 1 r and 1 e. But all is not lost. You can use 'smaller Eva Braun' and be spot on.
Best wishes from your pedantic Canadian friend,
MW.
Apologies, it was my error MW. It was smaller rather than small. It was used as a cryptic crossword clue in one of the nationals so it had to be correct. Crossword enthusiasts are the only folk more pedantic than Canadian ex pats :wink:
:lol:
Unfortunately I am both! :cry:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:20 pm

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:20 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-67370421

Harry Pierce won't be pleased. :mrgreen:
Aye, the joke of a bloke, Cam moron, the man who leaves his kid in the pub and plays with pigs IS BACK!!!

Just when you thought politics had hit rock bottom it seems it was only resting on a ledge in a deep-sea trench.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:13 pm

Braverman's ta-ra Rishi, billet doux! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:50 pm

Whoever would have guessed that years of a Labour led Bolton Council have come to some dodgy/illegal things coming to light? Seems the fat controller's legacy lives on.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:39 am

Cross breeding animals. Who could've possibly thought there might be a problem? I'm not going to use, maybe, the obvious current target, the XL Bully which has a body count rising by the week, it seems, but "super pigs." Apparently in Canada, they've crossbred a pig with a Eurasian boar, creating the equivalent of cunning, psychopathic, bacon, that has high fertility rates and short breeding cycles. They're now comparatively struggling to contain it, as if you try and eradicate through conventional hunting, it's bright enough to adapt to a nocturnal survival pattern which makes them much more difficult to hunt. They reproduce so fast, the population is rising quicker than they can manage it (growing quicker than they can shoot them, roughly). They're estimated to have racked up a few billion on crop damage. Needs a lot more thought and control, rather than "free market economics," and "roll back red tape" platitudes, otherwise like GenAI, we will start to accumulate problems that are difficult to contain.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:13 am

Humans abusing the position we are given in life?

Or more like;

Humans to stupid for the position we are given in life!

Yep, second one will do.