The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:23 pm

I reckon that's probably how oligarching works. Yer average oligarch will have got in from a busy day olgarching, last night put the telly on and exclaimed to 'er indoors "cor blimey, Guvnor no jellied eels for me, need to get down to the ATM quick-sharp with that pair of suitcases I used to smuggle vodka into the No10 "meet the PM vodka crawl" business meeting. I never saw any of this coming and all our worldly goods are in that one bank account in the name of Vlad Oligarch"

It's not like there's been increasing sanctions since 2014 or owt....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:21 pm

As people said to go so light yesterday just gave a warning to those Russian oligarchs and banks to start moving their assets…
Aye. The phrase/statement "Will have their assets frozen" has a distinct stable door ring to it. Somehow it seems very typical of this government..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:44 am

Aye, but that stable door became useless sometime in the last 14 years or so, maybe longer, even if it's only just been nudged shut.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:35 am

On a lighter note, my 4yo saw some of the news yesterday and heard them say Putin. ‘Putin?’ He said. ‘Like a tin of poo?’. Every time he comes on screen now he calls him the tin of poo, and I think he’ll always be that in our house.

He was quite concerned by the goings on though. Thinks Poo Tin is being very naughty and thinks Jesus, the policeman who visited his school, and the Avengers should head over there to stop him.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:37 am

Good grief, I'm glad I am not an avid bible basher or I would be worried, looks like we have just had the first two horseman!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:00 am

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:37 am
Good grief, I'm glad I am not an avid bible basher or I would be worried, looks like we have just had the first two horseman!
fcking snowflake.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:31 am

At least it takes our minds off Brexit and Covid for a bit
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:54 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:31 am
What about 'industrial' wine and cheese imbibing though? This war couldn't have come at a better time for those looking to bury that one!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:54 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:31 am
What about 'industrial' wine and cheese imbibing though? This war couldn't have come at a better time for those looking to bury that one!
There is that. Though it has exposed their entanglement with Russian money and Putin’s regime so not so sure they would have chosen that.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:07 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:35 am
On a lighter note, my 4yo saw some of the news yesterday and heard them say Putin. ‘Putin?’ He said. ‘Like a tin of poo?’. Every time he comes on screen now he calls him the tin of poo, and I think he’ll always be that in our house.

He was quite concerned by the goings on though. Thinks Poo Tin is being very naughty and thinks Jesus, the policeman who visited his school, and the Avengers should head over there to stop him.
Similarly effective to our government's plan then?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:38 pm

I reckon Putin will roll into Ukraine, install his own puppet regime and then roll out again, having set not one foot onto NATO soil. And we in the West will watch him do it whilst the bods on high get richer on the back of rocketting Gas, Wheat, Oil etc. price increases.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:02 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:38 pm
I reckon Putin will roll into Ukraine, install his own puppet regime and then roll out again, having set not one foot onto NATO soil. And we in the West will watch him do it whilst the bods on high get richer on the back of rocketting Gas, Wheat, Oil etc. price increases.
On that note I notice Rees Mogg’s investment firm offloaded their Russian bank shares at huge profit (compared to now) a few weeks hence before the troubles really escalated. Nice tip off there.

There is no end to these peoples greed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:35 pm

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:02 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
On that note I notice Rees Mogg’s investment firm offloaded their Russian bank shares at huge profit (compared to now) a few weeks hence before the troubles really escalated. Nice tip off there.

Of course no financial firms would have seen the same public domain reporting of Poo-tin massing troops on the border back in November and contemplated that any Russian assets might be a bit risky....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Of course no financial firms would have seen the same public domain reporting of Poo-tin massing troops on the border back in November and contemplated that any Russian assets might be a bit risky....
Indeed. These folk don’t lose out. They make sure of it. One way or another.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Right, because the sight of heavily armed Russian troops amassing on the borders of Ukraine might not indicate to someone that it's probably a good time to cash in their Russian chips?
Mate, the vitriol you hold towards members of the government is such that it leads you to make utterly fecking ridiculous statements like that above.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:17 pm

Indeed. I work for a company that manages several sovereign debt/credit funds, as well as global equity funds. The idea that JRM somehow tipped off his firm to get them ahead of the game is frankly laughable, and does a massive disservice to the researchers and analysts who have been on top of this stuff for the last six months.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Right, because the sight of heavily armed Russian troops amassing on the borders of Ukraine might not indicate to someone that it's probably a good time to cash in their Russian chips?
Mate, the vitriol you hold towards members of the government is such that it leads you to make utterly fecking ridiculous statements like that above.
People in cabinet profiting from direct Russian Kremlin linked donations and Russian investments. That’s the reality.

But if you think being pretty miffed by that is not right then you can hold that view.

But these aren’t the Tories you’ve voted for all your life, mate. I wish they bloody were. But this is something else.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:27 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

People in cabinet profiting from direct Russian Kremlin linked donations and Russian investments. That’s the reality.

But if you think being pretty miffed by that is not right then you can hold that view.

But these aren’t the Tories you’ve voted for all your life, mate. I wish they bloody were. But this is something else.
I was referring to your whole 'tipped-off' bollocks and well you know it. Mate, even Mr Average middle-income me was making enquiries a few weeks ago as to where my pension money is? I'm hardly a Government minister.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:27 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

I was referring to your whole 'tipped-off' bollocks and well you know it. Mate, even Mr Average middle-income me was making enquiries a few weeks ago as to where my pension money is? I'm hardly a Government minister.
Yup. This.