The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:49 pm
Queen's speech, due next Monday, now likely to be "delayed". There may be trouble ahead.....
Way I read it Brexit is likely to be delayed so as not to clash with the Queen's speech?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Queen's speech, due next Monday, now likely to be "delayed". There may be trouble ahead.....
Way I read it Brexit is likely to be delayed so as not to clash with the Queen's speech?
Eh? No. Queens speech should be next Monday. BBC says likely to be delayed as the Tories haven't sorted their DUP agreement yet.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Partly because the goatskin parchment she reads it from takes days to dry and so can't be amended last minute.

This country.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:09 pm
Partly because the goatskin parchment she reads it from takes days to dry and so can't be amended last minute.

This country.
HA. Though it has been clarified that happens after it has been delivered so not a factor in the hold up.

#coalitionofchaos

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Quelle surprise. Just when you thought they couldn't sink below the DUP, back comes Michael Gove, sacked for being a complete turd, by May, last year. This didn't make any sense to me, until I recalled that his wife works for the Times as did Gove after he got flirted, last time around. It's not as if there's no history between them.

Surely Theresa, who needs a bit of red top support wouldn't be guided by Rupert Murdoch? Bent as it gets..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:15 pm
Quelle surprise. Just when you thought they couldn't sink below the DUP, back comes Michael Gove, sacked for being a complete turd, by May, last year. This didn't make any sense to me, until I recalled that his wife works for the Times as did Gove after he got flirted, last time around. It's not as if there's no history between them.

Surely Theresa, who needs a bit of red top support wouldn't be guided by Rupert Murdoch? Bent as it gets..
Or alternatively the DUP are reported to be climate change deniers...so given May rushed into announcing a deal with them to govern before it was properly agreed and they have her over a barrel...who better to demand returns to government and environment than Mr 'we don't need experts'.

I think that is more likely tha Murdoch interference. A disgusting government but thankfully I can't see it lasting long.

Corbyn should appeal to all centrist and sensibly minded Tory MPs to vote with the opposition and bugger the government up. People keep saying he should offer an olive branch. After careful consideration I think he should do everything in his power to feck this demented bitch and her coalition up.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'm in Ireland at the moment. All the talk here is that Semtex Gerry's going to oppose it. Not sure if he can, or if he does it can actually amount to much? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 pm

I'd be quite surprised if after some hard bargaining, there wasn't a rally round for the Queens Speech...

After picking an election they thought they could landslide, they won't want another one just yet., I don't think...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:52 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:09 pm

This country.
HA. Though it has been clarified that happens after it has been delivered so not a factor in the hold up.

#coalitionofchaos
I learned today that it isn't real goatskin, but is in fact a vegan version. The hold up will be waiting for under nourished types attempting to carry it in then. ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I may well be, but when the new Environment Secretary was in education, didn't he get studies on climate change kicked off the curriculum? I'm sure it was something along those lines.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'm in Ireland at the moment. All the talk here is that Semtex Gerry's going to oppose it. Not sure if he can, or if he does it can actually amount to much? :conf:
I'm fairly sure their reason for not voting is their own rather than anything that's been imposed. They have 7 seats.

Just what the country needs. Two sets of turds trying to be as politically expedient as they can to support a minority government.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
He can. If he and his mates swear allegiance to the queen...which I think is more than a minor sticking point. They've already said they won't take up their seats this time.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: This f*cking idiotic argument about being able to take 4 weeks sick in the Public Sector. The one I'm aware of has a back to work interview for every single incidence of sickness.

I've worked in plenty of private sector environments (indeed, the overwhelming majority of my life) that haven't had that level of scrutiny.

However, if we're going to try and have an adult discussion, then yes, more public than private sector workers enjoy paid sick leave. And no, I don't think the private sector has it all right on that one. Just treating people like a set of c*nts doesn't get my endorsement unless theres some more sound reasoning behind it than 'yeah, we need to treat people more like c*nts, that'll learn 'em'.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:19 pm

And this Queen's speech thing.

They would have been fully aware of the clash between the dates when they called the election.

Now, just allow your mind to ruminate on that one. A newly emboldened, hard-line, hard Brexit Tory administration (that they themselves imagined they were getting, the clowns) is 'told' they have to delay the Queen's speech because they were having EU talks.

Imagine the headlines. Imagine that Trump-Hair-tribute-act Johnson flouncing about the EU being Nazis (or something), David Davies shaking his fist, Alf Garnett-style whilst the veins popped out of his forehead vacuously filling yet more airtime with his non-thoughts . Imagine the headlines in the disgraceful press we now find ourselves with in this country.

Because they were either so stupid they didn't know of the clash, or they understood very well the political capital they could make from it.

Now, ask yourself, why are we governed by such children? And how the f*ck could you vote for that?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:19 pm
And this Queen's speech thing.

They would have been fully aware of the clash between the dates when they called the election.

Now, just allow your mind to ruminate on that one. A newly emboldened, hard-line, hard Brexit Tory administration (that they themselves imagined they were getting, the clowns) is 'told' they have to delay the Queen's speech because they were having EU talks.

Imagine the headlines. Imagine that Trump-Hair-tribute-act Johnson flouncing about the EU being Nazis (or something), David Davies shaking his fist, Alf Garnett-style whilst the veins popped out of his forehead vacuously filling yet more airtime with his non-thoughts . Imagine the headlines in the disgraceful press we now find ourselves with in this country.

Because they were either so stupid they didn't know of the clash, or they understood very well the political capital they could make from it.

Now, ask yourself, why are we governed by such children? And how the f*ck could you vote for that?
Isn't the speech delayed because the Tories aren't ready for Monday? I can see your logic but not sure how it fits with the dates or the details of the story? Unless I'm missing something.....

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:41 pm

The clash was known about before the election. they reported it on the BBC about 2 weeks ago. Had they won a thumping majority, as they thought they would, imagine the scenario.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Sorry, just so you understand, the Queen's speech date (as planned) and the opening of EU discussions were due to take place on the same day.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:42 pm
Sorry, just so you understand, the Queen's speech date (as planned) and the opening of EU discussions were due to take place on the same day.)
Yes I suppose so. But the clash isn't the issue, it is that the Tories rushed to announce a deal with the DUP before there really was one. So now they are delayed in agreeing and writing the queens speech.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:30 pm

So they say. And as I reiterate, they probably would have had to anyway. Either that, or risk upsetting the EU, by delaying scheduled talks. Which I'm sure our press would have reported in a fair and balanced manner. They knew all this in advance.

I suspect they're thanking their lucky stars right now because of the gift horse DUP.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:46 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I may well be, but when the new Environment Secretary was in education, didn't he get studies on climate change kicked off the curriculum? I'm sure it was something along those lines.
Never thought I'd find myself defending Gove (though he was also comfortably the least bad of their Justice Secs to date) but that's a badly reported story you're correctly remembering. He wanted to take it off the geography syllabus and move it to science. The papers declined to bother with the second half of that sentence.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.