those poor Polar Bears - oh wait........LOL

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

those poor Polar Bears - oh wait........LOL

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:11 pm

Got to love the latest scaremongering on ITV news this week about the endangered poler bears as the North Pole is melting.

Blah, blah, blah, oh lets go back to Lawrence McGinty for a big update. Well folks we've had an incredibly rapid freeze this week (north pole does that I suppose?) and the sea has frozen over, now the bears are heading to their natural habitat.

Wonder what they'll do for the rest of the week now, their scare story has blown up in their faces.

Global warming or global scaremongering :crazy:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: those poor Polar Bears - oh wait........LOL

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:49 pm

fatshaft wrote:Got to love the latest scaremongering on ITV news this week about the endangered poler bears as the North Pole is melting.

Blah, blah, blah, oh lets go back to Lawrence McGinty for a big update. Well folks we've had an incredibly rapid freeze this week (north pole does that I suppose?) and the sea has frozen over, now the bears are heading to their natural habitat.

Wonder what they'll do for the rest of the week now, their scare story has blown up in their faces.

Without commenting on the sensationalism of ITV news, polar bears are still a potentially endangered species with only some 20-25000 in the wild. Global warming is a fact and polar bears are the first species to become "endangered" as a result of it. See World Wildlife Fund.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:00 pm

between 20 and 25,000 is a bit of a wide range of guesses! Bloody scientists! :roll:
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:13 pm

communistworkethic wrote:between 20 and 25,000 is a bit of a wide range of guesses! Bloody scientists! :roll:
cor...they must be the fastest animals on earth if 20 of them can be in 25,000 places at once... :mrgreen:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:18 pm

communistworkethic wrote:between 20 and 25,000 is a bit of a wide range of guesses! Bloody scientists! :roll:
I do apologize - I forgot my audience limitations. I should have said 20,000-25,000, or between 20,000 and 25,000 if you prefer the conjunction. Mea culpa.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:53 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I do apologize - I forgot my audience limitations. I should have said 20,000-25,000, or between 20,000 and 25,000 if you prefer the conjunction. Mea culpa.
:mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:00 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:I should have said 20,000-25,000, or between 20,000 and 25,000
Which is as many as there are humans (with the odd sub-human) at The Reebok for a home game. Hardly big numbers for an entire species that's seeing its habitat receed, its breeding numbers drop, its offspring grow smaller and weaker, as well as it having now turned to canibalism.

Not a good outlook for them at all! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:I should have said 20,000-25,000, or between 20,000 and 25,000
Which is as many as there are humans (with the odd sub-human) at The Reebok for a home game. Hardly big numbers for an entire species that's seeing its habitat receed, its breeding numbers drop, its offspring grow smaller and weaker, as well as it having now turned to canibalism.

And it's nearly as bad for the polar bears.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Well, there is one encouraging note - in 1970 there was an international agreement regarding polar bears (especially as regards hunting) and there is some evidence their numbers have actually increased as a result - they moved from endangered to threatened or some such language. However, global warming now poses a new threat and, yes, they eat their own young and other polar bears when hungry.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:28 pm

I don't know whether it was this or something else that said there had seen a sharp rise in the incidents of cannibalism amongst bears in the last couple of years - that is, they are now actively hunting each other for lack of food.

And I'm sorry FS, but I'm always wary of anyone who dismisses something out of hand as 'scaremongering'. Have you been researching Polar Bears? :conf:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:35 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I don't know whether it was this or something else that said there had seen a sharp rise in the incidents of cannibalism amongst bears in the last couple of years - that is, they are now actively hunting each other for lack of food.

And I'm sorry FS, but I'm always wary of anyone who dismisses something out of hand as 'scaremongering'. Have you been researching Polar Bears? :conf:
Nope, however the point of the post was yet another big "omg, we're all doomed" piece turned farcical when their point got blasted away by a quick freeze in a matter of hours.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:41 pm

:mrgreen: Just wondered.

Although I'd be inclined to look at long-term data, otherwise I'd conclude from today that Britain was sunny all the time during winter :wink:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:51 pm

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

And it's nearly as bad for the polar bears.
Was waiting, but no one bit. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:09 pm

20,000-25,000 is actually quite a large number for an apex predator in an area where prey is so scarce.

If you think that a polar bears territiory usually ranges for a couple of hundred miles, 25,000 can cover a huge area!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:02 pm

finlayson wrote:20,000-25,000 is actually quite a large number for an apex predator in an area where prey is so scarce.

If you think that a polar bears territiory usually ranges for a couple of hundred miles, 25,000 can cover a huge area!
The Arctic is a huge area and not heavily settled. Nonetheless it seems evident that global warming is creating a threat to the species by changing its habitat. As for being apex predators, they are in fact preyed upon by other polar bears owing to the food shortage.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:26 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
fatshaft wrote:Got to love the latest scaremongering on ITV news this week about the endangered poler bears as the North Pole is melting.

Without commenting on the sensationalism of ITV news, polar bears are still a potentially endangered species with only some 20-25000 in the wild. Global warming is a fact and polar bears are the first species to become "endangered" as a result of it. See World Wildlife Fund.

Not everyone agrees with that sweeping statement!!!
Some see it as a politicians wet dream to raise tax revenues! Will all this extra tax be payed back if the madcap boffins are proved to have got this wrong too?
Science is prone to many mistakes on a regular basis and how the hell do they know what the exact temperature was 1,000,000 years BC? OR DO THEY MAKE IT UP TO SUPPORT THEIR THEORYS?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:34 pm

hoboh2o wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Some see it as a politicians wet dream to raise tax revenues! Will all this extra tax be payed back if the madcap boffins are proved to have got this wrong too?
Science is prone to many mistakes on a regular basis and how the hell do they know what the exact temperature was 1,000,000 years BC? OR DO THEY MAKE IT UP TO SUPPORT THEIR THEORYS?
Some people still think the earth is flat, hobo, and there is little point in arguing with them. The earth has gone through global warming and cooling over the aeons - the concern here is basically the increasing warming caused by man in the last century, not the last million years. One can argue there is no cause for concern about this fact if you wish but the fact of warming is pretty indisputable.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Some people still think the earth is flat, hobo, and there is little point in arguing with them. The earth has gone through global warming and cooling over the aeons - the concern here is basically the increasing warming caused by man in the last century, not the last million years. One can argue there is no cause for concern about this fact if you wish but the fact of warming is pretty indisputable.
I thought it was the man made bit that was still under dispute not the warming itself.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:39 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I thought it was the man made bit that was still under dispute not the warming itself.
Fair enough - most scientist believe it is caused by greenhouse gas emissions, but some disagree. However, hobo challenged my assertion that global warming was a fact - I gave no possible cause at that juncture.

Edit: from wiki:
Global surface temperature increased 0.74 ± 0.18 °C (1.33 ± 0.32 °F) during the 100 years ending in 2005.[1][2] The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) concludes that most of the increase since the mid-twentieth century is "very likely" due to the increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations.[3][4] Natural phenomena such as solar variation combined with volcanoes probably had a small warming effect from pre-industrial times to 1950 and a small cooling effect from 1950 onward.[5][6] These basic conclusions have been endorsed by at least 30 scientific societies and academies of science,[7] including all of the national academies of science of the major industrialized countries.[8][9][10] While individual scientists have voiced disagreement with these findings,[11] the overwhelming majority of scientists working on climate change agree with the IPCC's main conclusions.[

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:03 pm

It does appear that global warming is good for those who have larger breasts....

Though there is a downside, superjohn