those poor Polar Bears - oh wait........LOL

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:It does appear that global warming is good for those who have larger breasts....

Though there is a downside, superjohn
Oh bollox. :(

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Whichever side of the fence you sit, there's little doubt that climate change - the accepted term, global warming isn't - is happening. You can argue the toss all you like about it being natural or man made, it's here and needs to be checked.

We are seeing temperatures rise, but also irregular weather patterns that see rain and hail where you shouldn't and warmer winters in other countries. Our own winters have far fewer snowfalls than even in the 1970s.

Man does have a lot to answer for: look at the smog in Beijing or Los Angeles, all the industrial pollution, ozone depletion, transport emissions. If that has had no effect people are deluded (go watch 'An Inconvenient Truth') but certainly there are natural factors too (cow's farts, would you believe).

Oh, and Polar Bears are now having to swim to hunting grounds they could walk to a few years ago because the ice sheets aren't as stable as they were. Many drown and their population suffers.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:30 pm

That means a mass exodus of Aussies then.

So, effectively, if anybody wishes to instigate a price rise, blame global warming.

"What? Pies have gone up how much? How the hell can you justify that?"
"Not my fault mate. It's global warming see. Can't get the wheat due to it and that puts the price up." That'll be seven ponds please."
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:36 pm

ratbert wrote:Whichever side of the fence you sit, there's little doubt that climate change - the accepted term, global warming isn't - is happening. You can argue the toss all you like about it being natural or man made, it's here and needs to be checked.

We are seeing temperatures rise, but also irregular weather patterns that see rain and hail where you shouldn't and warmer winters in other countries. Our own winters have far fewer snowfalls than even in the 1970s.

Man does have a lot to answer for: look at the smog in Beijing or Los Angeles, all the industrial pollution, ozone depletion, transport emissions. If that has had no effect people are deluded (go watch 'An Inconvenient Truth') but certainly there are natural factors too (cow's farts, would you believe).

Oh, and Polar Bears are now having to swim to hunting grounds they could walk to a few years ago because the ice sheets aren't as stable as they were. Many drown and their population suffers.
But if it isnt man made how do we do that. And should we be doing?

This made me laugh when I read it about Al Gore's film:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/envi ... 0071011463

Edit: Was a piss take of this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7037671.stm

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:57 pm

ratbert wrote:Whichever side of the fence you sit, there's little doubt that climate change - the accepted term, global warming isn't - is happening. You can argue the toss all you like about it being natural or man made, it's here and needs to be checked.

It is now considered that termites are the worst offenders.
Some animals produce so much fart gas that it spreads around the planet’s atmosphere and plays a role in global warming. Scientists used to think cows were one of the worst for this, but it turns out that it’s probably their burps, rather than their farts, that do it. Termite farts, on the other hand, produce more methane (one of the gases involved in global warming) than all of our cars, planes and factories put together! The termites can’t help this, of course. It’s because they need more of those gut bacteria than most animals in order to digest their woody diet.
However, even if natural factors contribute more than industry does, industry adds to the natural problem and can be controlled or reduced - unlike farts.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:12 pm

Money.

It will cost it to change the way we live.

Nothing will change, because those in a position to use their vast wealth to help haven't usually amaased that wealth through altruism.

We'll see (expensive, exclusive) colonies on the moon before climate change is effectively tackled.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:I should have said 20,000-25,000, or between 20,000 and 25,000
Which is as many as there are humans (with the odd sub-human) at The Reebok for a home game. Hardly big numbers for an entire species that's seeing its habitat receed, its breeding numbers drop, its offspring grow smaller and weaker, as well as it having now turned to canibalism.

Not a good outlook for them at all! :shock:
If they were at the Reebok at least they'd be in the right colours.

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:30 pm

If you look back at Geological history the mean temperature for the Earth has been estimated to be something between 35-40 degrees C.

We are currently emerging from the last ice-age which only ended a short time ago, if you consider the accepted geological age of the earth.

Man has never been industrialised as he is now. I think it's dangerous to blame man for global warming when there is no comparable evidence to show the behaviour of the climate when the planet has been emerging from previous ice ages.

The Earth has not had ice at it poles for the majority of its history.

Should we be trying to preserve ice at the poles or will be unknowingly affecting the natural cycle of the earth?

My Personal opinion is to just lets see what happens. I think we should try to preserve the earths finite resources, but i don't think people should suffer because of it.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:52 am

Good post finlayson, there is like you say plenty of evidence that we are just in a natural cycle, MWs assertion that global warming is a fact is absolutely laughable in the face of a number of scientists who are on the other side of the fence. Hobo makes a point that many also agree with, that politicians have now latched on to this as an excuse to drive up tax revenues as they are running short of things to tax, so a 'green' tax is a nice little earner.

However, there is evidence on Wikipedia it seems, so maybe Montrealwanderer is correct after all :crazy:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:54 am

The Al Gore film? That's already been descredited as nothing more than laughable propoganda. Why not watch the Great Global Warming Swindle instead?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:10 pm

fatshaft wrote:Good post finlayson, there is like you say plenty of evidence that we are just in a natural cycle, MWs assertion that global warming is a fact is absolutely laughable in the face of a number of scientists who are on the other side of the fence. Hobo makes a point that many also agree with, that politicians have now latched on to this as an excuse to drive up tax revenues as they are running short of things to tax, so a 'green' tax is a nice little earner.

However, there is evidence on Wikipedia it seems, so maybe Montrealwanderer is correct after all :crazy:
You seem to be under a misapprehension of some sort, fatshaft. I don't think scientist disagree that the average temperatures have been rising for the last century (which is what I meant when I said global warming is a fact) - these data are not disputed. They do disagree on the interpretation of these facts. For example on whether greenhouse gases are accelerating the process or whether the warming is part of a normal cycle and nothing to worry about. Are you saying a number of scientists are suggesting that the average global temperatures have not risen over the last century? It would place them and you on shaky grounds. By all means we can argue about whether we should do anything about global warming or not, but let us not say the facts are laughable. Unless you can show me a reliable set of data that show global temperatures are static or cooling. Good luck.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:21 pm

Global mean surface temperature anomaly relative to 1961–1990
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:08 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Image

Which, despite fatshaft finding it a laughable concept, would indicate a general rise. On the other hand that chart is from wikipedia which fatshaft might suggest was clearly planted by ecowarriors or politicians wishing tax increases to confuse the issue. :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:41 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Image

Could you draw some little skiers onto it please? Thus rendering it 'laughable'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:55 pm

Isn't that graph the discredited 'hockey stick'?
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:58 pm

Wrong thread, thats the philosophy one

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:14 pm

InsaneApache wrote:Isn't that graph the discredited 'hockey stick'?
no
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:34 pm

You see when you start peddling untruths as fact and then get found out, it's no wonder a lot of people take your word with a pinch of salt. *

I'm still not convinced that climate change is entirely man made either.

Also hasn't the mean sea temperature actually dropped since 1997?

*Not aimed at you commie.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:44 pm

InsaneApache wrote:You see when you start peddling untruths as fact and then get found out, it's no wonder a lot of people take your word with a pinch of salt. *

Yes, but as I recall this has to do with something like the Gulf stream being fecked or somesuch, or melting of the ice-caps...look, something.

Anyway, if you read deep enough into anything on the internet, you'll get the answer you want. All I'd say is, what have we got to lose if they're wrong and we've done something about it? Just seems like unnecessary procrastination to me.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:36 pm

InsaneApache wrote:You see when you start peddling untruths as fact and then get found out, it's no wonder a lot of people take your word with a pinch of salt. *

No one said it was (check previous posts re farts, etc.) - man does however contribute to it. The only fact I stated was that average temperatures were rising - take it with a grain of salt if you wish but it is true (if that was aimed at me - not commie).