Disabled, obese allowed free extra plane seat...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Disabled, obese allowed free extra plane seat...

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:19 pm

...so rules the Canadian Supreme Court.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/story.html?id=977633

So... who thinks that's a good idea?!

I wonder how these cases have gone in other jurisdictions....
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Disabled, obese allowed free extra plane seat...

Post by warthog » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:28 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:...so rules the Canadian Supreme Court.

Given your previous record of nicking disabled parking spaces, I presume you won't be honouring this. :mrgreen:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:35 pm

Disabled, fair enough. Obese, get tae feck
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Do you get 2 in-flight meals for the price of one aswell? It might be worth gaining a few pounds, in for a penny etc
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Disabled, obese allowed free extra plane seat...

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:47 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:...so rules the Canadian Supreme Court.

Actually that is not quite true, PB. This was a ruling by the regulatory agency responsible for airlines. The Supreme Court declined to hear the airlines appeal against this decision. There is a difference. The Canadian Transportation Agency ruled that the airlines had failed to show they would suffer hardship if a disabled person had a required attendant travel free with them. The ruling also dealt with the morbidly obese, often the result of a medical condition. Our Supreme Court does not hear appeals automatically, but only if the appeal is in the public interest.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Yep, that's a fair refinement, or rather, correction, of what I said!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:08 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Yep, that's a fair refinement, or rather, correction, of what I said!
As for whether it is a good idea, I suppose one would have to read the summary of the case (although "summary" is not a word I would describe to use it). The ruling was upheld by the Federal Court of Appeal, prior to the attempted Supreme Court appeal.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:32 pm

I think I'd be pretty peed off if I were a disabled Canadian. You get a landmark ruling like this in your favour and some fatty comes riding in on your coat tails. The worlds gone mad. :roll:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I think I'd be pretty peed off if I were a disabled Canadian. You get a landmark ruling like this in your favour and some fatty comes riding in on your coat tails. The worlds gone mad. :roll:
Having be obliged to sit next to people above normal weight on occasion I would have been happy for them to have had an extra seat - other passengers really suffer when squeezed in next to an individual of adiposity.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I think I'd be pretty peed off if I were a disabled Canadian. You get a landmark ruling like this in your favour and some fatty comes riding in on your coat tails. The worlds gone mad. :roll:
Having be obliged to sit next to people above normal weight on occasion I would have been happy for them to have had an extra seat - other passengers really suffer when squeezed in next to an individual of adiposity.
Dont think anyone has an issue with them having two seats, in fact i think they should be forced to have two, they should just have to pay for both. If the obesity is a result of a medical condition it should be treated as a disability, if its coz they are lazy with a poor diet, they should have to pay for two seats.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Dont think anyone has an issue with them having two seats, in fact i think they should be forced to have two, they should just have to pay for both. If the obesity is a result of a medical condition it should be treated as a disability, if its coz they are lazy with a poor diet, they should have to pay for two seats.
Actually that was basically the ruling...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:51 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Am guessing that was in the summary, that or i missed it in the original article. If thats the case, seems fair enough to me.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:05 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Not really.

The cut off point being mooted seems to be related more to the disabling consequences of size, rather than the cause of it.

And anyway, as I understand it, there are plenty of medical conditions that 'contribute' to obesity (and so those afflicted need to eat less than others in order to stay slim), but rather fewer that flat-out 'cause' it.

Seems to me that given the health problems associated with obesity, and the damaging effects of burning more aviation fuel, the only responsible thing to do is to have social and financial disincentives for obesity!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Am guessing that was in the summary, that or i missed it in the original article. If thats the case, seems fair enough to me.
Not in the summary I think - it only talks about people disabled by obesity. However, an earlier court case addressed this issue.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Not really.

The cut off point being mooted seems to be related more to the disabling consequences of size, rather than the cause of it.

And anyway, as I understand it, there are plenty of medical conditions that 'contribute' to obesity (and so those afflicted need to eat less than others in order to stay slim), but rather fewer that flat-out 'cause' it.

Seems to me that given the health problems associated with obesity, and the damaging effects of burning more aviation fuel, the only responsible thing to do is to have social and financial disincentives for obesity!
Tis an interesting point. In the long run, losing weight is in the health interests of these people. Make 'em walk instead!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:35 pm

Well, I'm no slip of a lad but at least I can quite easily fit in my seat. The most hideous journey of my life was when I basically had to share half of my seat with the most horrendous, sweating mound of blubber on Earth, on a flight from Chicago. She had to place her right shoulder blade across my left collar bone for the entire flight.
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Well, I'm no slip of a lad but at least I can quite easily fit in my seat. The most hideous journey of my life was when I basically had to share half of my seat with the most horrendous, sweating mound of blubber on Earth, on a flight from Chicago. She had to place her right shoulder blade across my left collar bone for the entire flight.
Yeah, America astonishing. Even more so than Farnworth. Or Bolton Market. Though the entistry in our dear home is something else...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:11 am

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Well, I'm no slip of a lad but at least I can quite easily fit in my seat. The most hideous journey of my life was when I basically had to share half of my seat with the most horrendous, sweating mound of blubber on Earth, on a flight from Chicago. She had to place her right shoulder blade across my left collar bone for the entire flight.
Yeah, America astonishing. Even more so than Farnworth. Or Bolton Market. Though the entistry in our dear home is something else...
Middle-earth topiary?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:20 am

Will the plane be able to take off?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:22 am

Does this mean I get a free upgrade to business class because my legs don't fit in economy seats? I mean, it's not my fault I grew so tall is it? :mrgreen: