Easier trivia

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Ok, Verbal 2/5, Enfield 4/5.

Oh, and why are people's final answers appearing outside the quote box?!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:28 pm

can i suggest that on number 4 the wee lad may be tricking you, the answer most have given is the first animated feature film, whereas his debut was in plane crazy some 6 months earlier.

edit:having seen the other answers, he's just wrong on this one.
Last edited by communistworkethic on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:31 pm

warthog wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Ok, well seeing as nobody got the 5/5, I'll set some questions:

1. Quotation source. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." JFK

2. In which city is the International Court of Justice situated? The Hague

3. What is the capital of Slovakia? Got me there

4. What was the name of the first animated cartoon to feature Mickey Mouse? Steamboat Willie

5. Which major sporting venue has Rudyard Kipling's words "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster/And treat those two impostors just the same" just above where the players enter the arena?
Wimbledon
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:48 pm

communistworkethic wrote:can i suggest that on number 4 the wee lad may be tricking you, the answer most have given is the first animated feature film, whereas his debut was in plane crazy some 6 months earlier.

Oops, you're absolutely right.

Oh well, I have had the answer I was looking for, so I'll just go back and change the question! :D

Bonus points for Commie, good knowledge...
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:51 pm

communistworkethic wrote:can i suggest that on number 4 the wee lad may be tricking you, the answer most have given is the first animated feature film, whereas his debut was in plane crazy some 6 months earlier.

So it would appear, although the answer given by us was not a feature film per se - it was also listed as a short. Disney made two Mickey shorts earlier, although he could not apparently find distributors for either one. However, the one commie mentions was released first - if undistributed. I suppose there is a trivia law to cover this! Perhaps Monty's law which means I can never get more than three right.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:23 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Ok, well seeing as nobody got the 5/5, I'll set some questions:

1. Quotation source. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
JFK
2. In which city is the International Court of Justice situated?
Complete guess, Strasbourg?

3. What is the capital of Slovakia?
Bratislava
4. What was the name of the first animated cartoon feature film to feature Mickey Mouse?
Steamboat Willie
5. Which major sporting venue has Rudyard Kipling's words "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster/And treat those two impostors just the same" just above where the players enter the arena?
Defo Wimbledon
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:

1. Quotation source. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
JFK

Bratislava
4. What was the name of the first animated cartoon feature film to feature Mickey Mouse?
Steamboat Willie
Defo Wimbledon
4/5 - you have named the city in which the European Court of Human Rights is situated. And a lovely place it is too...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:03 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

JFK

Bratislava
Steamboat Willie
Defo Wimbledon
4/5 - you have named the city in which the European Court of Human Rights is situated. And a lovely place it is too...
Knew there was something Europeany there. 'Twas my other option apart from Paris. Never really caught my imagination.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:10 pm

JFK
Den Haag
Bratislava
Donald Duck
Twickenham
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: 2. In which city is the International Court of Justice situated?
Den Haag
Well done that man! Definitely worth half a bonus point...

Only leaves you with 3.5 points though. :D

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:06 pm

Right, I have just captained a four-man team to victory in the Fitzwilliam College quiz, scooping a massive £108 first prize to share between us. :D

I will post some of the questions that clinched it for us in groups of 5 as soon as someone gets 4/5 correct.

1. Capital of Morrocco?

2. Year first Harry Potter published?

3. Longest mountain range in the world? (On land, not under the sea, as somebody in our crowd had to have clarified!)

4. Year of the Battle of Waterloo?

5. What is the collective noun for cheetahs?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:21 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Right, I have just captained a four-man team to victory in the Fitzwilliam College quiz, scooping a massive £108 first prize to share between us. :D

I will post some of the questions that clinched it for us in groups of 5 as soon as someone gets 4/5 correct.

1. Capital of Morrocco? Rabat

2. Year first Harry Potter published? 1997 i THINK

3. Longest mountain range in the world? (On land, not under the sea, as somebody in our crowd had to have clarified!) the Andes??

4. Year of the Battle of Waterloo? 1815

5. What is the collective noun for cheetahs? I know you can have a clutter of cats which is a brilliant word, so I'd go for that.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:32 pm

Solid, 4/5. You got the cheetah one wrong.

Alright, one more for this evening...

1. Which bridge does the Oxford v Cambridge boat race start from?

2. Which child star recently gave birth to her second child?

3. Who was Prime Minister at the turn of the 19th/20th Century?

4. Who was Prime Minister in 1955 after Churchill resigned?

5. Who founded the Salvation Army?

These are just going down on the screen as I remember them....

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:54 pm

1 is Putney Bridge - bonus for knowing that the finish is Mortlake?

3 I know is the Marquis of Salisbury, because I've just read that bit in John O'Farrell's Impartial History of Britain.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:26 am

1 - putney bridge

2 - Charlotte Church

3 - Marquis de Salisbury I THINK

4 - I was debating this for a while, but I'll go for Anthony Eden.

5 - Ms. Sally Army? No? Ok then...I'll go with Florence Nightingale. I don't know why
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:36 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Solid, 4/5. You got the cheetah one wrong.

1. Which bridge does the Oxford v Cambridge boat race start from? Putney

2. Which child star recently gave birth to her second child? Charlotte Church

3. Who was Prime Minister at the turn of the 19th/20th Century? Marquis of Salisbury

4. Who was Prime Minister in 1955 after Churchill resigned? No idea though probably should

5. Who founded the Salvation Army? Harold Bishop?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:23 pm

I think we should change the thread title to not so easy trivia! I educated and one uneducated guess in here.
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Right, I have just captained a four-man team to victory in the Fitzwilliam College quiz, scooping a massive £108 first prize to share between us. :D

1. Capital of Morrocco?
Rabat
1997 - I think...

3. Longest mountain range in the world? (On land, not under the sea, as somebody in our crowd had to have clarified!)
Andes

Bloody hell - the only collective feline I know for sure is Pride of Lions but I can't be that. How about a Speed of Cheetahs?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

senorjoeyo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by senorjoeyo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:31 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
1. Capital of Morrocco?
Morroco city?
1999?

Andes
????? I'm young, we don't learn things like that in history, we learn how our country should be ashamed of itself for having an empire
a coalition

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:36 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Solid, 4/5. You got the cheetah one wrong.

1. Which bridge does the Oxford v Cambridge boat race start from?
Putney - at least in modern times

2. Which child star recently gave birth to her second child?
Charlotte Church

3. Who was Prime Minister at the turn of the 19th/20th Century?
Lord Salisbury

4. Who was Prime Minister in 1955 after Churchill resigned?
Sir Anthony Eden

5. Who founded the Salvation Army?
William Booth and his wife