Easier trivia

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Easier trivia

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Since prufrock's proved quite hard I thought I'd give some easier ones. Same rules.

1. What is the most populous country in Africa?

2. Who was Margaretha Zelle better known as?

3. Quotation source. “To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice.”

4. Which was the first Second Division team to play in an FA Cup Final at Wembley?

5. What (for Borat lovers) is the capital of Kazakhstan?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:40 pm

I know 1) is Nigeria

I'd be guessing at the others
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:48 pm

5 is Astana. Can't beat me on the old capitals.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: Easier trivia

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:21 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Since prufrock's proved quite hard I thought I'd give some easier ones. Same rules.

3. Quotation source. “To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice.”

4. Which was the first Second Division team to play in an FA Cup Final at Wembley?

1. Nigeria

2. No clue

3. Ha, well I should know this one. Magna Carta 1215. I think I'm right in saying that this clause reappeared every time the statue was reissued in the 13th century. In fact, I saw one from 1217(?) in The Other Place recently....

4. Well I don't know, but maybe it's got something to do with our role in the first cup final at Wembley... so I'm going to say West Ham. Or maybe we were second division...? No, we won it three times in a few years, so let's go with West Ham.

5. Don't know. Shame, because I usually like my capitals too...

So... 2, possibly 3, out of 5. Perhaps Prufrock's wasn't so hard, after all!

Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:39 am

Nigeria

Mata Hari

Tottenham?

Astana

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:08 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Since prufrock's proved quite hard I thought I'd give some easier ones. Same rules.

1. Nigeria

2. No clue

3. Ha, well I should know this one. Magna Carta 1215. I think I'm right in saying that this clause reappeared every time the statue was reissued in the 13th century. In fact, I saw one from 1217(?) in The Other Place recently....

4. Well I don't know, but maybe it's got something to do with our role in the first cup final at Wembley... so I'm going to say West Ham. Or maybe we were second division...? No, we won it three times in a few years, so let's go with West Ham.

5. Don't know. Shame, because I usually like my capitals too...

So... 2, possibly 3, out of 5. Perhaps Prufrock's wasn't so hard, after all!

You got 3 (and should shoot yourself for missing #2 - which is a sort of hint)
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:10 pm

jmjhb wrote:1. What is the most populous country in Africa?
Nigeria

Mata Hari

Tottenham?

Astana
3 correct.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:10 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:5 is Astana. Can't beat me on the old capitals.
Spot on.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I know 1) is Nigeria

I'd be guessing at the others
1 correct - guess away on others if you like.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:13 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Spot on.
I thought Almaty was the correct answer?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:24 pm

ratbert wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Spot on.
I thought Almaty was the correct answer?
Not since 1998, Ratty, although it remains the largest city.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:48 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:You got 3 (and should shoot yourself for missing #2 - which is a sort of hint)
I've now Googled her... interesting story, just not one I'd ever heard.

If it's obvious and well-known, I've found a way to miss it. :conf:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:57 pm

Time for the answers which have just about all been attained by one person or another:

Nigeria, home of Jay Jay, which no one got wrong.

The great sex and femme fatale symbol of the early 20th century, Mata Hari, shot as a spy by the French in 1917. I was very surprised that one young, well-educated person of today had never heard of her. I must be aging quickly.

This basic principle of the English common law right to fair and speedy access to justice comes from the Magna Carta, 1215

Since this is a BWFC site, the very first game at Wembley featured BWFC defeating Second Division West Ham in 1923. Spam were also the first Second Division team to win an FA Cup. Clearly they belong in the Second Division (Championship to young whippersnappers who have never heard of Mata Hari).

This was for the young ones since the capital was changed to Astana in 1998. It was previously Almaty (Alma Ata to Tango), which remains the largest city.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Ok, well seeing as nobody got the 5/5, I'll set some questions:

1. Quotation source. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

2. In which city is the International Court of Justice situated?

3. What is the capital of Slovakia?

4. What was the name of the first animated cartoon feature film to feature Mickey Mouse?

5. Which major sporting venue has Rudyard Kipling's words "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster/And treat those two impostors just the same" just above where the players enter the arena?
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:34 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Ok, well seeing as nobody got the 5/5, I'll set some questions:

1. Quotation source. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." JFK

2. In which city is the International Court of Justice situated? The Hague

3. What is the capital of Slovakia? Got me there

4. What was the name of the first animated cartoon to feature Mickey Mouse? Steamboat Willie

5. Which major sporting venue has Rudyard Kipling's words "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster/And treat those two impostors just the same" just above where the players enter the arena?
Wimbledon

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:37 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Ok, well seeing as nobody got the 5/5, I'll set some questions:

1. Quotation source. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
John F. Kennedy
The Hague
Bratislava
4. What was the name of the first animated cartoon to feature Mickey Mouse?
Steamboat Willy

Absolutely no idea but, since I'm fairly sure of the other answers, I'll have to take a guess. It would probably be in England (perhaps the US) so i'll take a wild guess and say Lords

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Two lots of 4/5 so far then...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:47 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Two lots of 4/5 so far then...
Bugger! :mrgreen: Well, I wasn't too far away....

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Dunno, sounds very Thatchery or World War-y though...I'll go with a Churchill's 'never surrender' speech, at a guess.

Geneva

Bratislava I think

4. What was the name of the first animated cartoon to feature Mickey Mouse?

Steamboat Willie

not a clue...at a guess, Twickenham.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:51 pm

1. Quotation source. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." JFK

2. In which city is the International Court of Justice situated? The Hague

3. What is the capital of Slovakia? Bratislava

4. What was the name of the first animated cartoon to feature Mickey Mouse? Steamboat Willie

Don't know why, but Twickenham springs to mind.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"