tecy help

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

tecy help

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:47 pm

I got a new pc a month or so ago, with windows vista on. Not overly impresssed with vista but its not a disaster.

anyway over the weekend, particularly when on the web (latest firefox) its been behaving oddly. Instead of clicking some links the mouse pointer just drags them with it, and some of the buttons (back/favourites/close etc) sometimes just dont click at all. Also having the problem with some of the forum buttons on here, not always just some of the time.

It was pissing about in football manager as well not responding to clicks, and with some of the vista menus. It also seems to have slowed my machine down.

I've been through task manager and not ound anything running that shouldn't be and i haven't had anything turn up with a virus scan, or spyware scan.

Anyone got any ideas?

Help appreciated - its not critical but frustrating!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:57 pm

Patience. Its the only solution to most vista problems. We've got four computers with it on, and they all take it in turns to do this kind of thing. Just done it now whilst typing this.

It knows when you're angry, it knows when you're impatient. Don't give it the satisfaction. Other than that, I'd suggest tabbed browsing over new window browsing, and allow it to complete a task before starting another one. It can multi-task, but it seems to labour at it sometimes. And we also think that its to do with processor speed, you can overload easily on vista (as far as we can tell).

And are you on basic, premium, or business? Basic is god-awful, t'other ones are miles better.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:18 pm

oh well at least i'm not alone!
processor is an AMD 64 dual core processor like i said newish so should be able to cope with most stuff but task manager performance doesn't always agree...

im running premium, and yeah always use tabbed as well

oh its just done another thing i forgot to add - randomly highlighttext using the cursor with no clicking involved

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Not necessarily your problem, but the first thing I'd do with Vista (other than re-installing XP) is to turn off the utterly pointless transparency feature. The following should explain how to do this.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/03/1 ... cy-effect/

There'll be plenty of other tweaks you can do to your new operating system - just type 'vista tweaks' into Google and follow the advice from there. Some will involve editing the registry - for these you have to be much more careful as to what you're doing. If in doubt, don't do it.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: tecy help

Post by a1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:44 pm

officer_dibble wrote:I got a new pc a month or so ago, with windows vista on. Not overly impresssed with vista but its not a disaster.

anyway over the weekend, particularly when on the web (latest firefox) its been behaving oddly. Instead of clicking some links the mouse pointer just drags them with it, and some of the buttons (back/favourites/close etc) sometimes just dont click at all. Also having the problem with some of the forum buttons on here, not always just some of the time.

It was pissing about in football manager as well not responding to clicks, and with some of the vista menus. It also seems to have slowed my machine down.

I've been through task manager and not ound anything running that shouldn't be and i haven't had anything turn up with a virus scan, or spyware scan.

Anyone got any ideas?

Help appreciated - its not critical but frustrating!
theres been mega rumours about windows vista (AKA Windows MeII) hard disk thrashing. patches for it not actually fixing it, it being in there on purpose for sly reasons etc

sounds to me (never having used vista) that its clicking once -then deciding to start pissing about with the hdd- and either registering the second click as another single click or as one long held down click (hence the 'dragging').

turn off system restore ? defragment the hard drive ? turn off all the graphical bells and whistles? put windows xp back on (check how much folk hate vista)

xp back on for me. or ubuntu or whatevers.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:16 am

aye

looks like i need to dig out my XP disk

cheers folk!

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:16 am

I had a similar problem when I first got my Laptop with Vista on it.
I found out that the finger pad thingy that you use instead of a mouse was set to be too sensitive.
I set it to be a bit less sensitive and that cured the problem.
Dunno if this is the same as you are experiencing, but worked in my case.
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:02 pm

davroduk wrote:I had a similar problem when I first got my Laptop with Vista on it.
I found out that the finger pad thingy that you use instead of a mouse was set to be too sensitive.
I set it to be a bit less sensitive and that cured the problem.
Dunno if this is the same as you are experiencing, but worked in my case.
or..

he might be able to get new drivers for that off the manufacturers website.

or even the trackpad 'brand's' website.

if thats it.

last time i had owt like that problem , i had too many power hungry things plugged in the usb sockets .

unplugged 'em (or set them up on different sockets) and it went away.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:15 pm

Vista really is a memory hungry OS, Ive tried a version of XP with everything stripped out except the nessacery and it flies, comes even without IE it uses Firefox.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:57 pm

sounds exactly like thissues I've had with my laptop. it's a fecking pain in the ass
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:17 pm

it is a bit of a ball ache now

played about with the mouse settings as advised so i'll see how it gets on

thanks for the help chaps

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:27 pm

Try getting the application process explorer from microsofts website. It'll show u indepth whats taking up your computer resources rather than the less than informative task manager. Another thing u might want to try is TweakVI.