buying a wii

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nearlyeverywere
Hopeful
Hopeful

buying a wii

Post by nearlyeverywere » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:51 am

daughters birthday,what do i actually need to buy,are the docking stations ,extra nun checks ?etc necessary ?she is 6.dont know were to start.any ideas please guys.argos do packages.also seen controls at asda for a good price.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:08 am

The Wii package inculdes Wii Sports, 1 Wiimote and 1 Nunchuck. Ideally you would need an extra Wiimote and nunchuck to be able to play against someone. The Wii Play game includes a remote so I'd buy that which leaves you needing an extra nunchuck.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:17 am

bobby5 wrote:The Wii package inculdes Wii Sports, 1 Wiimote and 1 Nunchuck. Ideally you would need an extra Wiimote and nunchuck to be able to play against someone. The Wii Play game includes a remote so I'd buy that which leaves you needing an extra nunchuck.
Yeh, and maybe a game or two.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:46 pm

bobby5 wrote:The Wii package inculdes Wii Sports, 1 Wiimote and 1 Nunchuck. Ideally you would need an extra Wiimote and nunchuck to be able to play against someone. The Wii Play game includes a remote so I'd buy that which leaves you needing an extra nunchuck.
what he said

plenty of games for young 'uns out there

but if you want one for yourself i'd plump with tiger woods or summat, the golf ones are my faves

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
what he said

plenty of games for young 'uns out there

but if you want one for yourself i'd plump with tiger woods or summat, the golf ones are my faves
Can't beat the olympics ones, especially when you're against a few mates.

nearlyeverywere
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by nearlyeverywere » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:12 pm

THANKS FOR THE INFO EVERYONE.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Get Mario Kart.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:05 pm

Daxter wrote:Get Mario Kart.
Play it a few times then never play it again. Like everyone I know does with every Wii game they buy.

I've never had a console gather quite so much dust.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:07 pm

FD wrote:
Play it a few times then never play it again. Like everyone I know does with every Wii game they buy.

It's great for multiplayer sessions but can't match up to a 360/PS3 for a single player experience IMO.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:07 pm

FD wrote:

It's great for multiplayer sessions but can't match up to a 360/PS3 for a single player experience IMO.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: buying a wii

Post by Dujon » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:01 pm

nearlyeverywere wrote:daughters birthday,what do i actually need to buy,are the docking stations ,extra nun checks ?etc necessary ?she is 6.dont know were to start.any ideas please guys.argos do packages.also seen controls at asda for a good price.
At the risk of offence: How about a couple of old jumpers from the op-shop and a football?

The reason for my outrageous comment is that my granddaughter visited yesterday and spent, nearly, the whole time playing some sort of Nintendo game by dint of a stylus and lots of help from her mother. She (granddaughter, obviously) is seven years of age. Fortunately, apart from boring family get togethers, she does lots of physical exercise in her non-visiting life.

I have little idea about your yell for help (although a docking station rings a bell) particularly an extra nun checks ?etc ?.

How quickly the jargon overtakes one. It is but a few years since I was involved in programming, designing and liaising for developers and now (thinking back it is quite a while) I've lost the plot.

*MUMMY!* (No, not you Crayons :))

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:30 pm

FD wrote:

Mario Kart's been the only game I've played again and again and again. I enjoyed the Olympics game, but not done so for a while. I thought I'd get more out of FIFA 09, but I've just not had the time or inclination to fire it up.

If you are to get Mario Kart, you have to get the steering wheels for every controller you have. Just adds to the fun without it actually adding anything to the controlof the car. Oh, and if you ever find a serious car racing game that utilises the wheel, let me know. All I can find are things like Need For Speed, which is just computerised ASBO driving.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Get her World of Warcraft.

I'm sure i got a 360 somewhere but that too is a dust gatherer

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:43 pm

Compare and contrast the offers from Asda and Argos. As Bobby5 says, some games come with a controller in the pack, which saves you a job. Mario Kart – highly recommended fun, both for when she's there and when she's gone to bed and you crack open the beers – comes with a wheel, and it's worth buying another for two-player games (only about £7 I think).

It's much better with two-player games so do get the extra controller/nunchuk. Wii Fit (which requires the board thing you stand on) is good, varied and – even more so than most Wii games – gets you off your feet. (For knackering physical exercise, try the boxing on Wii Sports. I was aching for days.)

Docking station isn't essential – I think you can recharge the batteries by plugging them into the wall – but if there's a cheap one available then it just makes it neat, tidy the controllers into there post-session and they're always charged up.

When you buy it, make time to create Mii characters for her and the rest of the family, it personalises it for her. She'll soon be much better than you anyway.

As Jimbo says, the Olympics ones give you plenty of mini-games for your money, and will be popular with your grown-up friends.

Oh and take care with the golf games. That's twice now I've found myself with friends wondering how come it's 4am. :mrgreen: