The Great Art Debate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Great Art Debate

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:53 pm

:D. And easily distracted. Was always astonished by housemates at uni who said they couldn't study unless they had music on in the background. I might just have got away with something quiet and instrumental, but anything with lyrics and I was fooked. I also spend a lot of train journeys dearly wishing for a gun so I could shoot the prick talking on his mobile. I don't know whether it's the fact that only half a conversation jars but it drives me to distraction. So no. SILENCE.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:17 am

Prufrock wrote::D. And easily distracted. Was always astonished by housemates at uni who said they couldn't study unless they had music on in the background. I might just have got away with something quiet and instrumental, but anything with lyrics and I was fooked. I also spend a lot of train journeys dearly wishing for a gun so I could shoot the prick talking on his mobile. I don't know whether it's the fact that only half a conversation jars but it drives me to distraction. So no. SILENCE.
This sums my feelings up pretty well. Always studied in silence (so could never study in the library). Try the quiet coach on your train journeys though, then if someone does speak on the phone you can at least tell them off for it. It still amazes me the types of conversations people are willing to have on the phone whilst on public transport.

Trains are full of people I can't understand. Such as people who simultaneously read a book whilst listening to music. I can only imagine that diminishes both experiences? Unless, they're listening to the audio book of whatever they're reading to see if there are any differences.

I also once saw a guy on a train, take out a cheese string, then eat it like it was a normal piece of cheese. What a weirdo.

Oh, and don't breathe or eat loudly near me!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:39 am

I've found a kindred spirit!

I'm going to give myself an aneurysm one day with the internal rage at people who eat with their mouth open.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:57 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Prufrock wrote::D. And easily distracted. Was always astonished by housemates at uni who said they couldn't study unless they had music on in the background. I might just have got away with something quiet and instrumental, but anything with lyrics and I was fooked. I also spend a lot of train journeys dearly wishing for a gun so I could shoot the prick talking on his mobile. I don't know whether it's the fact that only half a conversation jars but it drives me to distraction. So no. SILENCE.
This sums my feelings up pretty well. Always studied in silence (so could never study in the library). Try the quiet coach on your train journeys though, then if someone does speak on the phone you can at least tell them off for it. It still amazes me the types of conversations people are willing to have on the phone whilst on public transport.

Trains are full of people I can't understand. Such as people who simultaneously read a book whilst listening to music. I can only imagine that diminishes both experiences? Unless, they're listening to the audio book of whatever they're reading to see if there are any differences.

I also once saw a guy on a train, take out a cheese string, then eat it like it was a normal piece of cheese. What a weirdo.

Oh, and don't breathe or eat loudly near me!
How did he eat it?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:56 pm

Vincent appears to be taking the early brunt of the change....
Attachments
safe_image2.jpg
safe_image2.jpg (36.3 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
safe_image.jpg
safe_image.jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:01 pm

snob! ;-)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:04 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Vincent appears to be taking the early brunt of the change....
I really like the angled view of the 2nd. Reveals a whole new aspect to the work, as does the slight blurring.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:08 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Vincent appears to be taking the early brunt of the change....
I really like the angled view of the 2nd. Reveals a whole new aspect to the work, as does the slight blurring.
Yes. Blurring intimating the essential imprecision in his life whilst allowing his underlying agony to still present the warmth of his underlying spirit.

Especially when seen at that exact, acute, angle.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:11 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Yes. Blurring intimating the essential imprecision in his life whilst allowing his underlying agony to still present the warmth of his underlying spirit.

Especially when seen at that exact, acute, angle.
:lol:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Beautifully put Bobo, you have crystallised my thoughts on the subject perfectly.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:28 pm

here's Mummy being photographed in front of some art...

.......sigh :wink:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Ha. It was cold, wet and deserted in that particular bit of the Hayward that morning. As I say, I don't decry the taking of photos as such - just the way the activity of getting the shot gets in people's way.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:40 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Ha. It was cold, wet and deserted in that particular bit of the Hayward that morning. As I say, I don't decry the taking of photos as such - just the way the activity of getting the shot gets in people's way.
ahh - i thought you were also decrying the art-selfie...

and - you can go online and find pictures... or buy a postcard :wink:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:05 pm

thebish wrote:
and - you can go online and find pictures... or buy a postcard :wink:
As it happens I don't think that's true in this case.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Was in town yesterday so popped into the National Gallery to see what the fuss was about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROXqn_JCpo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:42 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Was in town yesterday so popped into the National Gallery to see what the fuss was about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROXqn_JCpo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Google Images: Van Gogh-Sunflowers. Right click: Print: Frame: Hang in hall. If Carlsberg did art work... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Maybe no-one is taking photos, and everyone there is only there to record all the other people recording :D.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Sacre Bleu...the maestro will be spinning in his grave.... :wink:

http://www.fastcocreate.com/1683457/see ... -your-eyes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:32 pm

delighted to be the proud owner of my own Thierry Poncelet 8)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:46 pm

The Kazimir Malevich exhibition at Tate Modern (saw it in Saturday) is a powerful distillation of an artist's progress. From an eager embrace of Western European innovators at the turn of the 19th/20th centuries, to the most abstract (but dynamic) revolutionary abstractions coinciding - more or less - with his embrace of the October revolution. We then see an artist struggling to abandon 'form' entirely, to 'dissolve' it (the Black Square, the White on White).

In the end, a sick man, with a cancer that will kill him, the artist is forced to abandon his ideas to conform to Stalinist artistic thuggery. He is arrested twice, his work described as anti-revolutionary, and returns to figurative painting. Even here, though, he disguises his 'capitualtion'. The result is a sly, but unconvincing, attempt to subvert his submission to official demands - by the painting of peasants and workers as quarter-abstractions, often devoid of faces, colours always non-realist, far from the conventional depictions of Worker and Peasant 'heroes'.

He died of cancer before the launch of the great Purges in 1936. If he hadn't I have no doubt that Stalin would have had him executed and the terrorised artistic community would have applauded.

I really liked this exhibition (even if several of the abstract works whooshed over me) and totally applaud its chronological ordering, allowing the observer to see the development of the painter over decades.