The Great Art Debate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Great Art Debate

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:or maybe he was just knocking out summat that wasn't up to the standard he was obviously capable of... you do not know how he felt as he painted this particular picture - you might guess - but it'd be a guess.

if the only options for someone who happens to disagree with your opinion of a painting are:

1) jealousy
2) cultural blindness

and not

3) having a different and valid opinion

then I reckon that's as good an illustration of dogmatic fundamentalism as I have seen expressed on this forum... it suits you! :D
Well, let's see..
Firstly you said that basically most of the time he was having a larrrf.
Then you questioned why it was worth millions.
Well, he wasn't painting it to make millions. He was a pioneer of painting techniques. So yes, because you can't paint, and on the subject of Turner you are obviously a numpty, I think the two choices I presented are the most likely.
What possible Valid reason have you got that explains your statement that basically he was mostly having a larrf?????
Would you like to answer the actual question, rather than casting dogmatic fundamentalism my obviously deserved way?
:conf:
Nope, deafening silence. Yet again.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Funny subject, the worth of paintings. From what I can gather, over history, many artists were rather poorly paid in comparison with their talents. Gauguin, El Greco, Van Gogh and may others were regarded as tradesmen and died poor. Michelangelo was an exception due to his fame, talents and connections, Leonardo da Vinci was a court painter also with wealthy connections. Carravagio was an unstable drunken fighting man who fled a murder charge, but none of these things answer where their paintings valuations come/came from. It's purely about supply and demand surely in the case of long dead artists? Many only find fame posthumously because of the increasing rarity factor. Art theft is still a massive field and there are apparently paintings and sculptures in private collections that may never be seen again. I'm in total agreement with Spots that painters did their work from love and a deire to capture life and nature rather than any real thought of wealth. In Turner's case he was never poor but he didn't live an idle or sumptuous lifestyle but one of constant travel and attempt to capture the light and splendour of nature. He left much of his work to the nation.
For me he was a total genius.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:43 pm

^ See, when I lived in Swinton I lived within a stone's throw of Lowry's house. He was fecking shit yet lived in a house twice the size of mine. I take your point though that art's generally worth more when the artist's dead. This couple bought his house on Station Road, ripped all the floorboards up and whatnot hoping to find some stashed away painting worth loads - found nowt, then sounded off in the MEN that the local council, English Heritage, The National Trust and so on weren't prepared to buy the house off of them for top Dollar. That'll be because his paintings were fecking shit! :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:54 pm

^ Aye, I had a practical example of posthumous fame. There used to be a furniture shop called Wades next door to Boots on Deansgate (opposite M&S) in Bolton. I used to stop and admire a large watercolour print of Sir William Russell Flint's on a wall near the main window. I'll always remember it had a price of £57. One day I saw the price had jumped to £250. Curiosity made me walk in and ask a salesman why? "The artist died this week" I was told, as if that explained everything. That was in 1969 (borne out by the fact that was the year of his death). In my naivety I found it hard to believe.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:09 pm

Some pretty amazing and incredibly beautiful stuff here.

https://aeb85937.wordpress.com/tag/sculpture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:27 pm

Watched a good documentary on Vincent Van Gogh. Let me see him in a different light. Well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvWHOj79vrw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Found this very impressive painting of Rivington Lakes,( viewed near Stones House) painted apparently in the 850's by Victorian artist Frederick William Hulme. Lovely job...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Called in the art gallery today. Exhibition of British prints still running so no change. Couldn't come out without seeing Bolton's own Thomas Moran's Sunset, Pueblo de Yalpe Arizona.Photographs can't do justice to this dazzling work. Stops me in my tracks every time..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Walked up to Bolton Hospital this morning to get new battries for my ear-trumpets and there is a very decent small display of local art on the first floor (audio ward area) . Don't know if it's on other floors, but if anyone's in there for any reason it's well worth a look.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:56 pm

Found this on my internet art travels. Staggering views of Venice by....J.M.W Turner?..No, Bolton's own Thomas Moran. What a staggering talent that man had.....

http://19thcenturyusapaint.blogspot.co. ... enice.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Found this on my internet art travels. Staggering views of Venice by....J.M.W Turner?..No, Bolton's own Thomas Moran. What a staggering talent that man had.....

http://19thcenturyusapaint.blogspot.co. ... enice.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bolton born, but went to the US as a child. He was very much influenced by Turner though as is obvious from his paintings.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:44 pm

As an amateur, if befuddled, follower of Freud, I'd say yon lad had a fixation for nippled domes missen.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:28 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Found this on my internet art travels. Staggering views of Venice by....J.M.W Turner?..No, Bolton's own Thomas Moran. What a staggering talent that man had.....

Bolton born, but went to the US as a child. He was very much influenced by Turner though as is obvious from his paintings.
Could give a shiny one about any of that, Monty. I just admire them for what they are - magnificent paintings from, as Tango attests, a man with a staggering talent.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:41 pm

During WWII, Jews in Budapest were brought to the edge of the Danube, ordered to remove their shoes, and shot, falling into the water below.

60 pairs of iron shoes now line the river's bank, a ghostly memorial to the victims.

'Shoes on the Danube Promenade' by Can Togay and Gyula Pauer

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:16 pm

^ Powerful stuff!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Excuse me, is this the Art discussion thread?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:21 pm

clapton is god wrote:^ Powerful stuff!
Trip Hazard !! :shock:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:41 pm

clapton is god wrote:^ Powerful stuff!
All the more so in black and white, I think. Incredibly emotive.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:20 pm

Andrew Wyeth .. never heard of him until today. Stunning stuff.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:52 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:20 pm
Andrew Wyeth .. never heard of him until today. Stunning stuff.
A talented man, no doubt. I love the simplicity of his "Caldwell's Island" watercolour, really like that.