The Great Art Debate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:09 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Ah, now thereby hangs a different tale. Van Gogh never passed himself off as any form of genius. He only started to paint when he was around forty or so and had a difficult and troubled life. He painted and drew a massiv amount of work and was in fact a talented artist in other fields than the
"Sunflower" style he adopted later. Have a look at his "The Potato Eaters" and other works as an example. A sad man with a troubled life who finally gave in to mental illness, he was, neveretheless (in my opinion) a true artist worthy of the name.
I'm not sure about the true artist bit Tango. I only spotted two of his paintings that I thought were good enough to go up on my wall at home.

And although he may never of considered himself a genius, there are many people willing to label him one now.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:50 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Ah, now thereby hangs a different tale. Van Gogh never passed himself off as any form of genius. He only started to paint when he was around forty or so and had a difficult and troubled life. He painted and drew a massiv amount of work and was in fact a talented artist in other fields than the
"Sunflower" style he adopted later. Have a look at his "The Potato Eaters" and other works as an example. A sad man with a troubled life who finally gave in to mental illness, he was, neveretheless (in my opinion) a true artist worthy of the name.
Im pretty sure i can see WtW's response to this. Needless to say TD, Emin fits a lot of that description. I personally agree with Mummy in that i find her stuff a little self obsessed and self-pitying, and perhaps 'whiny'. All in all if you want stuff that looks nice, then she wont be for you, but i would proffer that that isn't what 'art' is, hundreds of people are fantastic painters and drawers, but that doesnt make them great artists. Nor does it make them worthless, yet i am inclined to agree with Verbal and suggest art must make you feel something, the best literature, the best music, and the best visual art, for me is created by those who put everything into their painting, then they 'die' and as a viewer you are able to take everything out of that work, and apply it to youreself, and your life. I'm not a fan of Damien Hirst particularly, i have never seen any of the stuff he got famous for, so i can't pass comment on that, but this constant whacking of animals in formaldehyde is just tiring, and he is NOW clearly just obsessed with making money. He is also apparently a bit of a cock, which shouldnt affect my judgement, but i can't help it. As for the light bulb on and off, i don't think thats art, because i can't see how it means anything to anyone, there is no pain, no joy, nothing.

A second point to those dismissing punk as art, why so? Of course it is an art form, just an unrefined one.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:59 am

I'm waiting for Gertie to come on here to say she doesn't know her Art from her Elbow.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:06 pm

malcd1 wrote:Now I know Vincent has had a few of his painting go for a pretty penny but I have to say I was shocked at some of the rubbish he did. I do mean absolute garbage that would make Emin look like the most talented artist in the world. Van Gogh wasn't just mad at the end he was completely mad at the beginning and middle of his career as well.
Now then. Having visited said gallery myself I understand exactly what you're saying. However, I'd say that when I paid closer scrutiny I found that his idiosyncratic brush technique had me staring in marvel at each exhibit for hours on end.
Still can't hold a candle to Rembrandt though.
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed May 06, 2009 3:30 pm

William the White wrote: There are uphill tasks in life. Following Bolton Wanderers, finishing 'Ulysses', liking the didgeridoo... Defending Emin is just one more... :wink:
William, make my day and tell me that, like your fellow Guardianistas, you are 'revulsed' at the sight of Emin 'cavorting' with the Tories. :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... gh-ear-art
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 06, 2009 3:37 pm

I'd be perfectly happy volunteering to cut off Tracy Emin's ear; both in fact. Just say the word. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 06, 2009 3:41 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I'd be perfectly happy volunteering to cut off Tracy Emin's ear; both in fact. Just say the word. :mrgreen:
Grease?? :conf:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed May 06, 2009 4:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:I'd be perfectly happy volunteering to cut off Tracy Emin's ear; both in fact. Just say the word. :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu May 07, 2009 11:27 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
William the White wrote: There are uphill tasks in life. Following Bolton Wanderers, finishing 'Ulysses', liking the didgeridoo... Defending Emin is just one more... :wink:
William, make my day and tell me that, like your fellow Guardianistas, you are 'revulsed' at the sight of Emin 'cavorting' with the Tories. :D

LOL... did i ever accuse Tracey of having a political bone in her body or political cell in her mind? If i knew how to be revulsed (:shock: ) I'd definitely try to do it.

She's right in her 'analysis' though - the tories will make a difference - 4 million unemployed after two years and unrest in the streets to put the recent protests in the shade...

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
I know, when it came to it, Tango wouldn't do that to a young lassie, who is just trying to create art and had never knowingly done anything to offend him...

i reckon he'd only butter her ears...

and then feel really guilty about this unworthy action...

and, rightly... feel a bit ashamed...

at treating a great artist in such a - dairy - way...

and then, i reckon, she'd knee him in the bollocks, good and hard, and say, how does that feel, philistine? and display it all in her next exhibition, cos she'd had the secret camera running all the time... with an ironic argentinian soundtrack running behind the action :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 08, 2009 12:17 am

William the White wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
I know, when it came to it, Tango wouldn't do that to a young lassie, who is just trying to create art :
Maybe you know me too well. Okay, I'll just get a hacksaw and saw through that metal pole with a budgie on top she charged Liverpool council ten grand for. That should help. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 08, 2009 12:18 am

William the White wrote:

LOL... did i ever accuse Tracey of having a political bone in her body or political cell in her mind? If i knew how to be revulsed (:shock: ) I'd definitely try to do it.

She's right in her 'analysis' though - the tories will make a difference - 4 million unemployed after two years and unrest in the streets to put the recent protests in the shade...
Not quite what I was hoping for, but it'll do... :lol:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri May 08, 2009 9:52 am

William the White wrote:

Good stuff. Them last one's were shite. There were more photographers than owt else. The police must have been wishing for more hippies to knock fook out of.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri May 08, 2009 11:10 am

Emin and the Tories is a marriage made in heaven as far as this unabashed Guardianista is concerned. At least Jarvis Cocker quickly backtracked from saying a Tory Government "might be a good thing" 8)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri May 08, 2009 7:32 pm

ratbert wrote:Emin and the Tories is a marriage made in heaven as far as this unabashed Guardianista is concerned. At least Jarvis Cocker quickly backtracked from saying a Tory Government "might be a good thing" 8)
Is Guardianista a female guardian reader?

Are there guardianistos? and are they abashed or not? :wink:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri May 08, 2009 7:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
William the White wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
I know, when it came to it, Tango wouldn't do that to a young lassie, who is just trying to create art :
Maybe you know me too well. Okay, I'll just get a hacksaw and saw through that metal pole with a budgie on top she charged Liverpool council ten grand for. That should help. :wink:
Fine by me - as long as you shove it up barton's arse, budgie an all... :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:44 am

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:34 pm

I feel like the curator of this thread...

An excellent exhibition at manchester art gallery of Goya prints, from the late macabre and dark period of his life. includes a selection from 'Disasters of War'. Disturbing, angry, fearful and sinister work.

Goya was just a genius whatever he turned to - up there with Velasquez and Picasso as the greatest Spanish artists. These large postcard size black and white etchings require close examination to get them clear, and the lighting in the gallery does them no favours - it really should be better than this - but it is well worth an hour. Not sure how long the exhibition is on, but if you're in manchester with an hour to spare...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:46 pm

William the White wrote:

A large chunk of that 4 mill will find work sewing body bags for those causing the unrest in the streets, the rest can train as gravediggers, problem solved!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Only Hieronymus Bosch could do justice to Planet Hoboh...

http://www.art.co.uk/products/p11725223 ... d=15051782