Are men allowed to drink white wine?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

See fecking title.

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 30

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Are men allowed to drink white wine?

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Is it OK? See I love red wine, but it gives the most god-awful, the-birds-are-swaying-and-the-trees-are-singing hangovers and I have decided it isn't worth it. So, is it OK, outside of a culinary setting, for me to be sat here drinking Sauvignon blanc, with a Chardonnay in the fridge, or does it raise questions of my masculinity?

EDIT: Please, no cheap jibes, this is a serious consideration.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Are men allowed to drink white wine?

Post by William the White » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:Is it OK? See I love red wine, but it gives the most god-awful, the-birds-are-swaying-and-the-trees-are-singing hangovers and I have decided it isn't worth it. So, is it OK, outside of a culinary setting, for me to be sat here drinking Sauvignon blanc, with a Chardonnay in the fridge, or does it raise questions of my masculinity?

Depends whether you're peeling a grape at the same time...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:Is it OK? See I love red wine, but it gives the most god-awful, the-birds-are-swaying-and-the-trees-are-singing hangovers and I have decided it isn't worth it. So, is it OK, outside of a culinary setting, for me to be sat here drinking Sauvignon blanc, with a Chardonnay in the fridge, or does it raise questions of my masculinity?

You have the weirdest hang-ups, young man. The answer is yes.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:42 pm

White wine is far and away the cheapest way to get absolutely shitfaced, a tool I have utilised many a time in my current spendthrift days. Agree with the hangovers though, argh. Just drink some water before bed. In sum, ofcourse it's alright.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:48 pm

never heard of Thunderbirds then Verbal?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 pm

I hav not, ma 'Lud, unless you're referring to the puppet show...could you elaborate?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:59 pm

Verbal wrote:White wine is far and away the cheapest way to get absolutely shitfaced, a tool I have utilised many a time in my current spendthrift days. Agree with the hangovers though, argh. Just drink some water before bed. In sum, ofcourse it's alright.
Bloody good. However, my favourite thing about white is I don't really get hangovers. If i drink red, i wake thinking I'm called Gerald and that I fought a real life rhino with my hands tied behind my back, whereas white just makes me feel like my head is wrapped in a duvet and that nothing is really real. As for the spendthriftiness, to me, it raises questions about what the feck are the french? I have bought said bottles of white wine for a combined sum of just under a fiver, and, unlike the stuff you can get for similar pennies en Angleterre (and i am thinking of the Co-op's 'Spanish wine', with a helpful map of all of Spain to show you whence it came) which tastes like paint stripper and drip-trays, it is actually nice. The same place where i can get such value, is the most consistenly beautiful city I have ever seen, a city where i can get where I want, when I want, without having my face stuck in a bankers armpit, where I can get a freshly baked baguette for 50p, where I come across the most immaculate female-folk in the history of staring, is the same place where I haven't been to uni in nearly over two months because they've got a bit peeved about something (they haven't actually told us what) and downed tools. Who are these people?!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:02 pm

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/?q ... 727AA4rxLE

Other people are discussing this too. young wippersnapper.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:never heard of Thunderbirds then Verbal?
Im guessing Thunderbirds is some form of cheap beverage, possibly of the cider variety? If we are on that plane, of getting spoon-eyed (I love how English gives you the capacity to put two unrelated words together, seperated by a hyphen, and it automatically means drunk)for next to nothing, the best method I have found is to combine White Lightening, and Lambrini. Seriously, it tastes like sugar, and you don't recall the next week. Not only that, you are so drunk you forget to take your wallet, and thusly cannot spend money buying random Bulgarian girls you have never met drinks because it seems a good idea at the time. It always seems a good idea at the time.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:05 pm

You're in France, fool. Go and find a Montrachet and then come back on here to apologise. :whack:

Edit: For your food accompaniment - Moules Marinier and a fresh baguette. Heaven!
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Verbal wrote:White wine is far and away the cheapest way to get absolutely shitfaced, a tool I have utilised many a time in my current spendthrift days. Agree with the hangovers though, argh. Just drink some water before bed. In sum, ofcourse it's alright.
Bloody good. However, my favourite thing about white is I don't really get hangovers. If i drink red, i wake thinking I'm called Gerald and that I fought a real life rhino with my hands tied behind my back, whereas white just makes me feel like my head is wrapped in a duvet and that nothing is really real. As for the spendthriftiness, to me, it raises questions about what the feck are the french? I have bought said bottles of white wine for a combined sum of just under a fiver, and, unlike the stuff you can get for similar pennies en Angleterre (and i am thinking of the Co-op's 'Spanish wine', with a helpful map of all of Spain to show you whence it came) which tastes like paint stripper and drip-trays, it is actually nice. The same place where i can get such value, is the most consistenly beautiful city I have ever seen, a city where i can get where I want, when I want, without having my face stuck in a bankers armpit, where I can get a freshly baked baguette for 50p, where I come across the most immaculate female-folk in the history of staring, is the same place where I haven't been to uni in nearly over two months because they've got a bit peeved about something (they haven't actually told us what) and downed tools. Who are these people?!
Ok did you want advice or are you just showing off? :mrgreen:

Good effort if you don't get hangovers off the White, gives me horrible ones. And my uneducated pallete is quite happy with Tesco's finest, for some reason.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:06 pm

If it's not ok to drink white wine then I'm in serious bother.

As for hangovers, the best way to avoid them is not to drink so much. Failing that the choice of tipple helps. Dark Rum is the worst, followed by Brandy and red wine. Drinking water before going to bed is a good idea, but when you're shit faced you won't bother.

Strong cider is the cheapest way to get slaughtered. You can get hold of two litres of Merrydown (7.5% by volume) for £4 if you know where to shop. It even tastes nice too and is the ideal accompaniment for a kebab.

This concludes Warthog's guide to alcohol abuse.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:You're in France, fool. Go and find a Montrachet and then come back on here to apologise. :whack:
Or trot over to Spain and sample a Valdepena.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Verbal wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Ok did you want advice or are you just showing off? :mrgreen:

Good effort if you don't get hangovers off the White, gives me horrible ones. And my uneducated pallete is quite happy with Tesco's finest, for some reason.
Sorry I digressed (is that a word? It looks wrong). My question came to be, because there is a wonderful wine bar cafe thingy I frequent, at 2 euros a glass (I might as well show off while I'm at it, Paris is bloody lovely) where I am the only bloke who drinks white, ALL the girls drink white, and ALL the guys red, and I am often the recipient of cheap jibes about my masculinity as a result. It wasn't so much advice i needed as reassurance, I'm not a wrong-un am I?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Only tarts drink white wine. FACT! :wink:
Businesswoman of the year.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:You're in France, fool. Go and find a Montrachet and then come back on here to apologise. :whack:
Great call, ripe yet smooth. Lovely. Maybe also a white Rioja, although I'd say that a white Rioja doesn't do anything for white wines in the same way that a full-bodied Rioja does for reds.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:19 pm

CrazyHorse wrote: Only tarts drink white wine. FACT! :wink:
Because real men drink? :conf:

Stand by for something ridiculous like Castlemain xxxx or some or other smoothflow

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Great call, ripe yet smooth. Lovely. Maybe also a white Rioja, although I'd say that a white Rioja doesn't do anything for white wines in the same way that a full-bodied Rioja does for reds.
Not your total red wine afficionado, but Marquess de Cacerey is a very pleasant change.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Not your total red wine afficionado, but Marquess de Cacerey is a very pleasant change.
If you mean Marques de Caceres, Tango, then yes - a fine drop. I'm sure that you'll find any Faustino easy on the palate, too.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:24 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:

Only tarts drink white wine. FACT! :wink:
See, it's people like you that trample all over people's self esteem until they kill children. You wait for the headlines tomorrow. It's all your fault.